1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automatic/adjustments/refocus

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by djw, Sep 11, 2003.

1. djw

djw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI everybody

I have a 420spv projector lately it is refocus it self almost every 20min surely this cant be right. EQUIP/ISCAN ULTRA contrast set 60 brightness 47 so I dont think I am driving it to high.when this happens the fan slow down/then back up.
    THANKS dj :confused:

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Assuming nothing has changed in your system (new DVD player, signal cables, AV amp, mains wiring) to cause this problem then the first thing to check is the power supply daughter boards which can work loose when the projector is ceiling mounted, and all the other connections in general. Only do this if you feel confident working inside your projector. I accept no liability for you or the product if you decide to proceed.

To check the PSU daughter boards:
    unplug mains cable, open pj lid, undo the screws holding the front facia in place (one either side of the lenses, two on the to edge - use a stubby philips screwdriver).

Carefully tilt the facia from the bottom edge to about 30 degrees then pull it forward so that the tangs holding the top edge can work free. Be careful, the front IR receiver eye is attached to the back of the facia by a narrow ribbon cable. There should be enough slack for you to get the facia clear of the lenses then twist it round an put it on top of the projector, or you can unplug the ribbon cable instead.

Double check you've unplugged the mains cable. You are getting to part of the pj where 240V mains and the HT circuits live.

Above the lenses you should see a metal box lid covering the power supply board. The cover is held on with 3 or 4 screws, then the lid should slide out horizontally like a draw revealing the PSU.

The power supply board runs parallel with your ceiling, the daughter boards plug in edgeways and hang vertically. A little gentle pressure should be all thats needed to check the daughter boards are seated correctly. You may hear them click back into place.

Replace the metal cover and make sure the tangs slot back into the locating holes so that the PSU cover is fitted correctly. Replace the facia. Check the remaining ribbon cables and the seating of the video board which lives in an aluminium box with a perforated lid set toward the back of the pj near the input sockets.

Close everything up, power up and test.

If you still have a problem the contact your dealer or give Owl a ring on (0044) 1825 766123 to find your nearest Seleco dealer with workshop facilities. They'll be able to get service support from Owl to diagnose the problem.

Good luck.

3. djw

djw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CHRIS
    THANKs for your reply. I have done all that you told me but the problem is still there. LAST nite I disconnected the cables going from ISCAN/ULTRA to my crt I then used shs cable from my sky plus to crt had it going for 4hrs with no problem. so now it seem it not the crt. iscan/ or rgb/component j/sim component cable from BETTER CABLES from ISCAN to crt 7mtrs.
    THANKs dj :confused:

4. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Just mulling it over - have you considered that this might be a mains problem? Is the projector wired to the upstairs ring main and everything else to the downstairs ring main?

Regards

5. djw

djw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CHRIS
    THE projector has its own power point in ceiling supply looped from existing power points from downstairs supply to fuse board.IF it were a power/supply problem then it should have the same problem with no ISCAN maybe I just wish you lived in DUBLIN.
    THANKs again DJ

6. djw

djw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CHRIS/GORDON/ROLAND/ANYBODY.
    Has anybody got this problem using Iscanultra. this is driving me crazy. I am going to try using a surge plug to projector.tomorrow will let you know.I just dont no anybody over here I can ask for HELP. as for the company I got my equipment from they having got a clue. SORRY but just pii off. THANKS DJ

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,001
  8. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    dj, I think you should give the engineers at Owl a call.

Regards

9. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I would say this has to be a power supply issue focus is going out because the voltages anre changing fans are slowing down/up (voltage chages)
    When you change to the Svideo less stress is put in the projector becasue it has dropped back to 15khz rather than 31khz when line doubling with the iscan.
    try playing with the brightness and contrast to see if focus holds for longer if not so bright and worse if made brighter.

10. djw

djw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    THANKS CHRIS/ROLAND/GORDON

I was talking to EDDIE at SIM yesterday he thinks this is a SYNC problem and to try my DVD747 on progressive with out ISCAN/ULTRA and see HOW I get on. sometimes when I change the setting /I loose picture and up comes on SCREEN SYNC OUT RANGE. CAN anybody out there tell me at what settings they use.OR maybe I have a faulty ISCAN or settings need to be adj/on ISCAN.

THANKS DJ