autofocus issues on 350D

johndow

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been experiencing some intermittent autofocus problems with my 350D lately. It seems to be when using the kit lens.

I tried the kit lens today and no luck. I switched back and forth from manual to auto, turned it on and off several times, but nothing. I have a 50mm prime which has hardly been out of the box, and i can remember on one occasion the autofocus wouldn't work on it for a period, and then it was fine after.

I tried the other two lens today (50mm and 55-250mm) and they were fine. i placed the kit lens back on and it was still dead.

It does make a small sudden movement which is barely noticeable when i try and focus it.

As a greenhorn and someone who doesn't want to uneccesarily tamper with the camera, can someone recommend anything i can do to rectify the problem.

P.S. The camera/ lens are all well looked after and get minimal use and can go for months without being taken out of the bag.

Thanks
JD

Could be the lens
You lose nothing by wiping its electronic contacts with a small amount of alcohol

Another way of cleaning the contacts other than using alcohol is to lightly rub them with a pencil eraser (not too hard mind as you'll get rubber bits falling into the lens).

With careful use (i.e. not getting it on the lens or other bits), would it be ok to use electrical contact cleaner which evaporates off. As i have this stuff at home.

JD

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom