Auto Switching HDMI Dongle

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Apone, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Apone

Apone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +320
    Hi

I am hoping someone here can help me. i have a sim2 projector with 1 HDMI socket.

i have 2 sources with HDMI outputs and want both to be connected via hdmi to the Sim pj.

However i want to be able to have an 'auto switching' set up. So that which ever source is 'on' the pj will display that source thru hdmi.

i thought i found what i was looking for ( please see link)

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=220674&doy=24m1

however when i used the dongle and connected both sources the picture comes up smaller than usual. My pc outputs 1280x720 and projector tells me it is receiving 1280x720 but the picture is smaller, i get a black border so to speak on the top,bottom and sides. The whole desktop is diplayed though.

When i was using a straight cable from pc to projector i have no issues with picture and get a perfect pixel to pixel match using the hdmi cable and a full 16.9 image. Looks like when i go thru the dongle then picture gets smaller.

I must add that the dongle is 'passive' . When i spoke to Sim they said it could be because of that reason the picture is not as it should be.

So is there anything out there that would give me auto switching between my sources AND a perfect pixel match?

i know i could go into an av amp and then to pj but that upgrade will also mean a new av rack to house everything so can't go that route at the moment.

Any ideas? Thanks

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,495
    Hello Apone

Lots of options from the likes of Octava - see http://www.octavainc.com

Auto Source selection usually works very well - though some Source devices have odd HDMI Implementations and can trip up the 'Auto' system.

There ought to be no difference to the On-screen image if you have the Octava unit in or out of the video signal path

Joe