AUTO resolution setting produces a better SD picture!

WSH

Established Member
Reaction score
If you haven't tried setting your box to AUTO resolution then give it a try. In my case with a Panasonic PHD8 via component it improves standard definition picture sharpness since the box doesn't upscale from 576 to 1080i.

When set to AUTO, compare the sharpness of the 'now and next bar' on an SD channel to a HD channel to see the difference.

Mine is connected Component to VGA and I have always favoured the Auto setting.:smashin:

Mine is connected Component to VGA and I have always favoured the Auto setting.:smashin:

do you mean component out of the hd box to vga on the panel

if so how does the hd compare with hdmi

do you mean component out of the hd box to vga on the panel

if so how does the hd compare with hdmi

I have no idea. Only use component:smashin:

When set to AUTO, compare the sharpness of the 'now and next bar' on an SD channel to a HD channel to see the difference.

This is true, I noticed from the start that leaving it on 1080i output gives a slightly fuzzier picture on SD material as the box is upscaling the image. Auto is the way to go:thumbsup: Downside: is your display may blackout for a second when changing between HD to SD chanels.

It's true for Component or HDMI

Have HD connected by component into my PW7.
The incredibly helpful MAW suggested switching the box to auto on a previous question I posted.
Works perfectly, get a small flash when broadcast goes from football to ads for example - but at least the picture remains as good as poss.

Kev - have you ever used component?
I had my Sky+ connected to VGA via a JS tech box and was impressed - wondered if I should swap my component input from the HD to VGA instead?

Kev - have you ever used component?
I had my Sky+ connected to VGA via a JS tech box and was impressed - wondered if I should swap my component input from the HD to VGA instead?

:confused: ? I DO use component ?:confused:

HD box to Denon amp via Component.

Sony DVD to Denon amp via Component.

Sony Freeview(JSTech RGB Scart to Component) to Denon amp.

Amp to VGA on Panel via Van Damme Component to VGA lead.

This set up works really well with the PHD8 and I didn't have to buy ANY connection boards at all.:smashin:

Sorry Kev, I meant going component into the panel so as to compare the quality to the VGA you are currently using.
No need to reply - you already have!:thumbsup:

I have noticed that on 1080i setting, the SD PQ is fuzzier when viewed via HDMI compared to Scart. I have a X series and dont know if its like this on just this TV. I dont like the flash you get if you leave it on auto.

I'd love to do this but every time the Sky box changes resolution the speakers crackle and then I lose the sound! Does anyone else have this problem? I'm assuming it's an issue with my television (PDP435-FDE) but I don't know.

Cheers

That's the problem in there is no right or wrong answer to this.

With TV's the scaler in the TV does a better job of taking the 576p output of SD content when SkyHD box set to Auto and scaling it to the panel's native resolution. Other times the TV's scaler is wosre than the SkyHD box one so upscaling and then the TV just (downscaling this if necessary to native panel res) showing this looks better.

For instance, the native panel res of mine is 768 lines widescreen. For a 576p output that mean the TV's nbuilt scaler needs to upscale every 3 scanlines of the 576 signal into 4 scanlines for the panel (576*4/3=768) This direct scaling by the TV is a better route than the skyhd box converting it from 576 lines to 1080 lines for the TV to then downscale it to 768lines again.

But this is my own mileage and yours may vary :)

I also use component and generally Auto setting.

For picture quality I found the 1080i setting looked better but and it is a big one my panel will not let me change the aspect ratio to anything other than 16x9 for 1080 material, so for old material that is in 4x3 I have to run at SD outputs.

Paul

Hi I Have A Lg 42inch Plasma, And Yesterday Had Hd Fitted, Very Pleased With The Pq, But When I Have It On Auto, I Get A Bad Reaction From The Speakers, A Big Cracle And Blank Screen, Is This Ok.

Hi I Have A Lg 42inch Plasma, And Yesterday Had Hd Fitted, Very Pleased With The Pq, But When I Have It On Auto, I Get A Bad Reaction From The Speakers, A Big Cracle And Blank Screen, Is This Ok.

The LG 37" LCD I returned for other problems did the same thing when changing on auto resolution on HD box so it must be an LG issue as my new Tosh doesnt make any noise

Whether or not if it's o.k. is open to debate, but it does seem to be the norm on most screens.
My Pioneer does the same and I have had HD since June. No problems yet but whose to say that it may not be doing some damage.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom