Auto Refresh Rate changes

rwttm001

Morning all,

The biggest issue I have with my HTPC setup is related to changing resolution to match the source material.

I have W7 desktop and 7MC both set to 720p at 50Hz, mainly as live TV needs this refresh rate to run correctly. To switch between refresh rates manually I've setup some shortcuts in Catalyst Control Centre but it not ideal and certainly costs major WAF points.

As I use TMT3 exclusively for ISO playback, is there a program out there that could do the change automatically for me when TMT3 launches and then revert back once in 7MC?

How do you guys with newer 1080p panels with all the refresh rates available handle this (my panel doesn't have 24hz/100hz for instance). Do I need to be looking at a more fully featured display to help - is there a one stop solution out there that means I can set the res/refresh and all sources will be happy with it?
:lease:

imilne

Reclock can do this, in combination with either Powerstrip or your Catalyst profiles, although the latter isn't as robust a solution. The trick is to find a way of changing the refresh rate *without* whatever program is running being aware of the change, as the various VMR/EVR rendering modes can go in the huff when it happens.

If your panel doesn't support 24p, then that simplifies things a little for you, because you can then use Reclock to speed up 24fps content to 25fps (50hz), which means you only need to toggle between 50hz and 60hz content. NTSC is 60hz (in reality it's 59.something), but the majority of NTSC movie DVDs actually play at 24fps anyway (or 23.976). So for these, you don't actually have to worry about changing to 60hz. With Reclock they can be played perfectly smoothly at 50hz - if you don't mind what the 4% speed increase does the audio (PAL speedup). I don't, but some do.

That only leaves genuine 60hz content, which is probably the bonus content on NTSC DVDs, blu-rays, and possible some NTSC TV content (I don't have any non-movie NTSC DVDs so can't be sure). But if you can get the Reclock/PowerDVD/Catalyst refresh changing to work, then you're all good.

rwttm001

If your panel doesn't support 24p, then that simplifies things a little for you, because you can then use Reclock to speed up 24fps content to 25fps (50hz), which means you only need to toggle between 50hz and 60hz content. NTSC is 60hz (in reality it's 59.something), but the majority of NTSC movie DVDs actually play at 24fps anyway (or 23.976). So for these, you don't actually have to worry about changing to 60hz. With Reclock they can be played perfectly smoothly at 50hz - if you don't mind what the 4% speed increase does the audio (PAL speedup). I don't, but some do.

That only leaves genuine 60hz content, which is probably the bonus content on NTSC DVDs, blu-rays, and possible some NTSC TV content (I don't have any non-movie NTSC DVDs so can't be sure). But if you can get the Reclock/PowerDVD/Catalyst refresh changing to work, then you're all good.

Thanks for the explanation :smashin: I'd looked at Reclock and Powerstrip before but never really got round to testing at all out as I didn't really know what all the options did. Do you happen to know of a good guide anywhere?

Regarding the 4% speedup, how does that affect things such as the progress timings in playback software ie after 100 seconds of playback would it say 1:36 or 1:40? What are the major issues of the speedup - any lipsync/time lag?

I'm actually looking at Display Changer does anyone have any experience of this? Can I fire off TMT3 and get this software to set the desktop properties at the same time?

Thanks again for your help.

DFENS 360

I'm actually looking at Display Changer does anyone have any experience of this? Can I fire off TMT3 and get this software to set the desktop properties at the same time?

Yep that is possible. I do a similar thing with MediaPortal...

My desktop is set to 720p for regular internet browsing, then when I start MediaPortal, Display Changer will change my resolution to 1080p and my refresh rate to 60hz.

imilne

Do you happen to know of a good guide anywhere?
The original .rtf that comes with Reclock is still worth reading through, even though it's pretty out of date now. Then there's the Reclock forum (over at SlySoft) too, although it's a bazillion posts long.

I'm fairly familiar with it though, so you can try firing any questions you have at me and I'll try to help.

Regarding the 4% speedup, how does that affect things such as the progress timings in playback software ie after 100 seconds of playback would it say 1:36 or 1:40? What are the major issues of the speedup - any lipsync/time lag?

There shouldn't be any issues with it. To be honest, I've never looked at what happens on the clocks. Maybe it depends on the media playback software used. Remember, most PAL DVDs or movies on television have already been speeded up by 4%, so you're probably used to watching stuff this way anyway. Some people hate the pitch increase in the sound - personally, I can detect it when swapping between 24/25fps, but blind test me minutes apart and I wouldn't have a clue which was which.

Swapping between resolutions/refreshes when you're also swapping between programs is easy. The problems only arise when you already have video content playing - then it comes down to how well your media software copes with it. I use gbpvr, and it craps out if DisplayChanger is used but it manages ok with Powerstrip.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom