• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Auto-power TV on with HDMI?

Gooner9

Standard Member
Do HDMI connected devices cause the TV to power on from standby, when the device (DVD, satellite, XBox, etc.) itself is switched on like SCART used to?

Many thanks.

J

j3000

There is a standard to allow this called CEC, it also allows various other control messages to be communicated over HDMI. AFAIK there is not a standard group of control functions that must be implemented and many devices do not support CEC at all.

Sony products with a "Bravia Theatre Sync" logo will turn on a TV with the logo when you press play on the source device. You may need to activate this in a menu on both devices first though. Products from other manufacturers may also operate in this way if they support this function of CEC.

Shaggybert

This works between my Panasonic DVD recorder and my Sony LCD (aut on and auto off), but it does NOT work with my xBox.

The latest video from AVForums

JVC 4K projectors, Denon X3800 & Perlisten speaker reviews, adding a sub to 2-channel + AV/HiFi news
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom