Auto lip sync on Yamaha V383

frushy

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi - wonder if anyone can help with an issue with my Yamaha V383 receiver. I have lip sync turned on, but I can’t change the setting from Manual to Auto. Sometimes the sound on TV apps will fall out of sync but not all the time so I can’t just set a delay and leave it.

I have Sky Q and PS4 plugged into the receiver, and ARC between the receiver and TV. This issue is the same with all sources - always stuck on Manual.

Firmware is fully up to date. Unplugging everything hasn’t helped.

Has anyone else seen this issue / know of a fixso that I can set the lip sync back to Auto?

I'd concentrate on finding what is causing the video delay. It is more often than not as a result of additional processing being applied to the video that that causes lip sync issues to arise. Keep additional video processing to a minimum by disengaging any additional motion flow processing etc on the TV.

If getting inconsistent syncronisation relative to sources such as your SKY box then I'd suggest the issue is with what is being broadcast as opposed to it being anything to do with your hardware. SKY have a particularly bad reputation for lip sync issies.

Last edited:
SkyQ has a lip sync adjustment under the audio settings.

Thanks for the responses. Sky is actually okay, it’s TV apps sending sound via ARC that are the worst offenders - mainly Amazon Prime. Picture processing is minimal with most features turned off, so potentially an issue with the app but not sure.

Still, odd that I have no option to turn on auto lip sync on the receiver.

Hello, I have exactly the same problem with lipsync, I only have the option to manually control (add the delay in ms) and not the automatic option. I bought the receiver two days ago and it is connected via hdmi arc. On the first day this option was and it solved the problem of the image being delayed from the voice. But yesterday the option disappeared from the menu and it is strange that the problem was also solved and now the audio is in sync with the image. Is this a normal condition?
Were you able to return the option to the menu?

Attachments

• 20210818_230254.jpg
    20210818_230254.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 64
No never solved it. About 4 months ago the unit stopped communicating over ARC at all so I’ve returned it under warranty.

From looking around online it sounds like these Yamaha units may have occasional ARC issues across the product line.

And in the new receiver that you received under the warranty, there is still no lip sync auto?

Maybe it would help if you understood what causes audio to not be in sync with the video and what HDMI lip sync is supposed to be doing? I say suppose because it requires the way it is implimented onboard all the devices in the HDMI chain to be compatable with one another.

There's been a lip sync feature of HDMI since the advent of version 1.3, allowing audio processing to be automatically adjusted to compensate for errors in audio/video timing.

There isn't apparently any HDMI-ATC system level Lip Sync performance compliance specifications, or test tools designed to ensure accurate Lip Sync delivery. There is no “timing conformance” specification that must be demonstrated to any authority in order to build a compliant product. This has led to no real way of confirming whether one manufacturers claims regarding lip sync are in accordance with what would actually pass as auto lip sync or whether the way one manufacturer has implimented it corresponds with how another has.

Audio-video synchronization errors are occurring more frequently. This is mainly due to increased digital processing being implemented into devices. Getting the manufacturers to actually own up to this is also not helping and many deny there is a problem, believing the audio/video asynchronies in their devices to be imperceptible and or acceptable.

The ever increasing amount of video processing being employed and implemented into devices has given rise to more instance of lip sync issues. Audio and video synchronisation problems occur because video processing is more intensive than audio processing. Because of this, the audio is ready for playback before the video, and if audio is not delayed, what viewers hear will not match what they see on the screen.

It is true that not everyone reacts or perceives such anomalies in the same way. The extent to which a consumer can tolerate asynchronies is dependent upon human perceptual limits as well as personal taste. After saying this, studies have been done and conclusions have been made as to what is and what isn'r acceptable.

As far back as 1998, ITU-R published BT.1359, recommending the relative timing of sound and vision for broadcasting. Studies by the ITU and others have suggested that thresholds of timing for viewer detection are about +45ms to -125ms, and the thresholds of acceptability are about +90ms to -185ms. In addition, the ATSC Implementation Subcommittee IS-191 has found that under all operational situations, the sound program should never lead the video program by more than 15ms and should never lag the video program by more than 45ms ±15ms.

Also be aware that anywhere video is processed, there will be a delay.This is unavoidable whether you can perceive it or not. The issue is how should the manufacturers compensate for this before it does become perceivable? Faster processing helps, but will still result in video delay, plus the fact that more and more of the video features consumers now expect are very heavilly dependant upon video processing. More features means more processing and the increased chance of audio being out of sync with the video.

The adjustment as implimented with HDMI 1.3 were based on a previously estimated delay factor.

The method of automatically delaying the audio by an estimated factor, based on the expected delay in the video signal during processing as introduced with HDMI version 1.3 is imperfect. The correction is basically guessing as to what the delay is or will be.

HDMI 2.0 introduced dynamic auto lip-sync. This supposedly synchronises the audio and the video dynamically irrespective of the various HDMI sources. The facts of the matter are that people still experience lip sync issues despite having HDMI version 2.0 equipped devices and auto lip sync engaged.

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation!
Now I have no delay at all between the audio and the video.
I do not understand why from the menu the option of auto lipsync disappeared and only the manual option remained.
On the first day of use the option was. And also the delay was, between the audio and the video.
After the first day, both the automatic option disappeared and the delay stopped ... very strange...

Do you think this is a fault in the receiver?

Who knows? Could be the source, could be the TV, could be the content or it could be little green men from Uranus?

Last edited:
The AUTO option should remain in operation for as long as you leave it that way. It is simply an on or off switch for the AUTO correction. You can still use the manual adjustments while AUTO is engag and it is suggested that the manual adjustments can be used to fine tune the AUTO adjustments?????? Note that many AV receivers allow for different lip sync configurations for different sources. You can even bypass the lip sync feature altogether for some sources while having it engaged for others. It should be noted that it only relates to HDMI sources and will not have any effect if the audio isn't sourced via HDMI.

It is also worth mentioning that AUTO correction only works if the display you are using with the AV receiver is also AUTO lip sync enabled.

I think the option would remain regardless of whether the TV is enabled or not? The option would still be there even if the TV was enabled, but you'd disable the auto lip sync on the TV from within its settings.

I've no idea as to why the option has dissappeared on your receiver?

Last edited:
You wrote that in yours receiver it is also dissappear...

No I didn't. I wouldn't have posted that because it doesn't and remains both visible and accessible regardless of how it is configured or what devices I'm using.

You wrote:

" I have lip sync turned on, but I can’t change the setting from Manual to Auto"

"Still, odd that I have no option to turn on auto lip sync on the receiver"

So I really do not understand what was the problem with your receiver ... could you please explain why it would not have been possible to switch to automatic mode if it existed?

You wrote:

" I have lip sync turned on, but I can’t change the setting from Manual to Auto"

"Still, odd that I have no option to turn on auto lip sync on the receiver"

So I really do not understand what was the problem with your receiver ... could you please explain why it would not have been possible to switch to automatic mode if it existed?

You are mistaken and that wasn't me.

You are referring to another member here:

Thanks for the responses. Sky is actually okay, it’s TV apps sending sound via ARC that are the worst offenders - mainly Amazon Prime. Picture processing is minimal with most features turned off, so potentially an issue with the app but not sure.

Still, odd that I have no option to turn on auto lip sync on the receiver.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom