Auto gearbox problem????

owen021173

Prominent Member
Reaction score
hi, just wondered if anyone on here is mechanically 'savvy'when it comes to auto boxes???

had a problem for a while and it seems to be getting worse,which is obvious really:rolleyes::D

this problem happens all the time when the engine is cold i.e; morning but has started to do it when the engine is warmed up.

problem; when you press the accelorater down to move off,the engine just revs then 'bang'! it will get into gear and go.
sometimes does it around 20mph also when toodling round town.
all seems to be related to the kickdown but when motorway cruising i have floored it at,say, 60mph and it behaves like it should,perfectly normal.

any help and advice would be helpful as im not sure if it needs a new box or something inside the box is damaged.i have been to a re-con box could be as much as £1800 :eek:fitted which is more than the car is worth!

thanks for looking:thumbsup:

Could be something simple like adjusting the cable length going from the transmission to the gear selector, or maybe the oil is low or needs replacing?

Im no mechanic, so I will wait patiently while others shoot my theories down :)

Jas.

What car is it?

Could be something simple like adjusting the cable length going from the transmission to the gear selector, or maybe the oil is low or needs replacing?

Im no mechanic, so I will wait patiently while others shoot my theories down :)

Jas.

i thought you didnt need to change the oil or thats what i was told as i know absolutley nish when it comes to cars!

thanks

Your symptoms might not necessarily be down to a faulty auto box. I had weird symptoms with my car banging into gear and not changing up when it should when cruising. Like you I thought the auto box might be having difficulties. In the end the problem was due to a faulty air mass sensor (aka MAS). The sensor measures the amount of air fed to the engine and feeds that figure to the engine management system. My car is not a Ford Galaxy but it is a 1998 2.4 V6 petrol with a ZF 5 speed electronic auto box.

I think the best way forwards for you is to get your car hooked up to a diagnostics computer and then get the fault/error codes analysed that way you know exactly what's wrong and where you stand.

Good luck!

S.

Your symptoms might not necessarily be down to a faulty auto box. I had weird symptoms with my car banging into gear and not changing up when it should when cruising. Like you I thought the auto box might be having difficulties. In the end the problem was due to a faulty air mass sensor (aka MAS). The sensor measures the amount of air fed to the engine and feeds that figure to the engine management system. My car is not a Ford Galaxy but it is a 1998 2.4 V6 petrol with a ZF 5 speed electronic auto box.

I think the best way forwards for you is to get your car hooked up to a diagnostics computer and then get the fault/error codes analysed that way you know exactly what's wrong and where you stand.

Good luck!

S.
steve, did yours behave the same when the engine was up to normal running temperature??

thanks

I'd start by checking the fluid level:

How to Check Automatic Transmission Fluid | eHow.com

As it says at the end of the vid, transmission fluid doesn't get used up, if your level is low it's leaking from somewhere.

If your fluid level is fine then a garage is probably your next step, there isn't mush else you can do yourself.

im positive that when this first started happening the level was checked and found to be okay.
although theydid find a few metal shavings attached to the magnet on the plug!!! whatever that means :D

the only way they could check it was to remove the gearbox but this will cost a few £££'s!

hence the reason im asking on here, trying to save a few ££@s !

thanks mate

I'd start by checking the fluid level:

How to Check Automatic Transmission Fluid | eHow.com

As it says at the end of the vid, transmission fluid doesn't get used up, if your level is low it's leaking from somewhere.

If your fluid level is fine then a garage is probably your next step, there isn't mush else you can do yourself.
Bear in mind that quite a few modern (and I would include 1998 vintage) auto boxes are sealed (supposedly sealed for life but that's another story) and you cannot check the fluid level as there is no dip-stick in the fill tube. Not sure what the score is with the Fords but mine is sealed.

steve, did yours behave the same when the engine was up to normal running temperature??

thanks
It was worse when cold but also played up when at normal running temperature, and progressively got worse until the car was undriveable.

However, I just raised my case as an example though, you have particular symptoms with your car where the root cause may not necessarily be related to the autobox even though it's the autobox that seems affected. In these days with complex engine management systems and a raft of sensors you need to get the engine hooked up to a diagnostics computer to analyse the fault codes to understand what's causing the issue, without that initial step all advice is pure conjecture even advice from those who have suffered from very similar problems to you in the past. ;)

S.

Did you check with the engine running ,some have to be in gear as well handbrake on level surface,but it sounds like its shot,it only takes a very very small particle to mess them about,it could be a stuck valve,drain oil replace and fit new filter,and put addative in for auto boxes.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom