1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Auto Format On Sky Broadcast Channels

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by huw, Jul 9, 2002.

1. huw

huw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently purchased a Philips 32 pw 9525 widescreen tv which is fed by an Amstrad digibox.

My querey is this:- when i switch the digibox on the tv will recognise whether or not the programme is being broadcast in widescreen or not and will adjust the screen accordingly. However if the next programme broadcast is in a different format the tv will not auto format (the auto format is set to " on ").

I have phoned sky who tell me that there is no trigger signal broadcast by them to allow the tv to auto format.

Does anybody know whether this is correct. Should my tv be auto formatting when connected to sky ( i have friends who have their tv's connected to itv digi boxes and their tv's will auto format)

I find it hard to believe that sky digiboxes donot have this feature.

Your help please as this is driving me round the bend

Cheers

Huw

2. CARLOS

CARLOS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,208
    Sorry to say Sky are correct :rolleyes:

They don`t have a trigger for widescreen switching unlike the ITV digital boxes, Which is a complete pain in the neck especially on a Panasonic tv where you have to cycle through every picture ratio to get to the right one.

Cheers Carlos

Edit: P.S welcome to the forums :)

3. huw

huw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that info Carlos it was nice of you to answer my query so quickly.

Cheers

Huw

4. justy101

justy101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    my 1998 digibox switches correctly between 4:3 and 16:9. Is your box setup correctly? 16:9 picture format, and are using a SCART Lead? I know these are simple questions, but sometimes the the obvious things are the ones we overlook. I use a phillips 28w9631 ws tv.

5. trfmnd

trfmnd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My Sony 32FQ75 switches automatically from the Amstrad too. But only on the AV channel in RGB mode with scart control on. Make sure you're watching via scart and not rf.

cheers
    Tim

6. richardr

richardr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    As others have said, the Sky digiboxes do send out the right widescreen switching signals via the TV scart (but not the VCR scart).

You do need to have scart control on, which is in the system settings of the Sky box.

Check that the box is properly set to 16:9 at the same time. You need to hit the services button on the remote, and go into picture settings to check.

It should work from any scart, and also whether or not you are using RGB.

Everything else is down to the TV.

7. huw

huw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for all the replys.

Just to clarify this once and for all.

I have set my digibox to 16:9, the scart control is set to on and the autoformat on the tv is activated.

I sit down to watch channel four all night and start with the news which is broadcast in 4:3 the adverts then come on and these as we all know are broadcast in 16:9 should the tv if watching sky change automatically to 16:9 or do i have to change it manually?

What i seem to have is the same format throughout so if the programme first watch is broadcast in 16:9 then everything will be seen in 16:9 unless i change channels and then change back in which case the tv again picks up the correct format.

All this brings me back to my original question which is do sky sent switching signals everytime the format changes i.e if you watched one channel all night would it change back and forth.

8. richardr

richardr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    It should change.

The signal is in fact not sent at the time of change, but is always present when there is a widescreen picture being broadcast.

Most TVs will operate correctly as follows.

Go to Sky News (501). This is always 4:3. Adust your TV format until you get a 4:3 picture - i.e. with black bars down each side.

Then go to BBC News 24 (507). This is always an anamorphic widescreen picture (albeit some of the news reports have thin black lines broadcast). This should spring your TV into widescreen.

Go back to Sky News. The TV format should change back to 4:3.

If this doesn't happen, try turning off the TV set after the first step (getting the Sky news picture as 4:3), and then turning back on before changing Sky to BBC News 24.

9. huw

huw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that.

I,ve done that and it will recognise the change what it will not do is recognise the change if i keep the same channel on all night and that channel broadcasts a variety of formats within that nights viewing.

If you keep your tv tuned to channel 5 (105) all night you will see that the news broadcasts are always in 4:3 whereas the adverts are in 16:9 the tv will not automatically change to 16:9 as the broadcast changes. I would have to change the format manually.Whereas the itv digiboxes change in and out of 16:9 as and when required.

Huw

10. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    huw, I second what others are saying here...

the auto switching of 4:3/16:9 works fine for me, on all channels with my sky digital box.

I haven't looked at channel 5 in particular... maybe a fault with their signalling specifically?

any difference with another channel... channel 4 would be good for starters.

11. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm a little worried about your statement that
    I had this set on my sony and it insisted on trying to get rid of the black bars, either at the sides or the top and bottom of the screen.

I therefore think that this is what is causing you the trouble. Whatever is presented to the screen it tries to fill the whole area with the picture. Try turning this Auto feature off. The STB should handle the formatting without this.

DaveP