Question Auto dimming nightmare

Discussion in 'OLED TVs Forum' started by Doctor Smith, Oct 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Doctor Smith

Doctor Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +247
    I have an lg oled b6 and I'm in the middle of NetflixThe haunting of hill house in Dolby vision. I have not been too impressed with the image quality.

Some scenes look great others seem really dull. I've just realised the reason for the dull pictues. TV is going into dimming mode even though the image isn't static. Anyone know the reason for this or how to disable dimming? Thanks

2. NM2160

NM2160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,307
    Take a look at this thread ....

LG OLED Auto-Dimming

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  3. Doctor Smith

Doctor Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +247
    Any idea why it's only happening on Dolby Vision?

4. brandondanger

brandondanger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I've just set up a Samsung 43 nu7000 and the dimming on Hill House was aweful.. Was slow to react and looked crap. Tried some other HDR Netflix stuff and couldn't see any issues. Maybe the way it's been authored??

5. Doctor Smith

Doctor Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +247
    I've downloaded a couple of android apps and TV doest recognise any commands. Do I need to changes any settings on TV?

6. doug56hl

doug56hl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,885
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  7. Doctor Smith

Doctor Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +247
  8. NM2160

NM2160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,307
    According to the list that @doug56hl posted then you should be OK as it has a IR blaster.

Have you tried the Anymote android app ?.

9. Doctor Smith

Doctor Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +247
    That's one I'm trying to get working.
    Thanks.

10. NM2160

NM2160

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,307
    Ok.

Out of interest I just installed this on my Samsung Tab S tablet (I normally use my old Note 3 to access the SM of my LG E6) & it was relatively simple.

Once installed, select 'TV' & then scroll down & select LG.

The Service Remote was the 2nd configuration available (press the appropriate button at the bottom to skip to the next configuration).

It's the In Start menu that you need to access to turn off TPC Enable.

11. doug56hl

doug56hl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,885
    In that case you should be OK re IR blaster.
    However, Anymote app page on google play notes Not compatible with Huawei, Vizio or Sony phones....
    Doesn't work with my Honor phone either (a Huawei in all but name).

12. SunnyIntervals

SunnyIntervals

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +291
    Isn't the dimming related to the economy mode? Turn that off and all should be well. I've turned that setting off and have never noticed any auto dimming.

13. SunnyIntervals

SunnyIntervals

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +291
    Is that funny? Okay.

14. WiteWulf

WiteWulf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi, just wanted to add a "me too" to this thread, specifically with respect to Haunting of Hill House on an LG B8. I just posted elsewhere on the forum and was pointed here. I'd noticed some scenes were very dim and had just assumed that was a creative choice of the director, but what I thought was odd was that some scenes became noticeable brighter part way through for no apparent reason. It was literally like someone turning the lights on in a room. It would appear that this is the auto-dimming turning off when it decides there's actually something going on on screen. I've not noticed it on anything else yet, just Haunting of Hill House, but I'm going to try and turn off the auto dimming in the service menu and see how I get on.

*edit* ah, scratch that, I'm pretty sure I'm experiencing HDR luminance variation: B8 Brightness Changes w/Dolby Vision

*edit 2* Nope, Mr Teoh says it definitely ASBL (Automatic Static Brightness Limiter) in this specific case with HoHH

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  15. marcd5123

marcd5123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +258
    To be honest , I relay would not advise to start tampering with service menus !. If your TV is still under warranty and you enter the service menus bang goes yours warranty . Their may actually be a special counter that activates once you enter a service menu that an LG engineer would notice that its been tampered with thus voiding your warranty . Mobile phones have the same thing its called a binary counter once someone has gone into a service menues or tampers with software it may trigger it I could be totally wrong do you want to take that risk ??? .

You may adjust a particular setting and that happneds the one time you change that setting your TV screws up ..thats £700+ or £1500 down the drain just not worth it folks unless your made of money . I would stay well clear of tampering with service menues unless you realy no what you are doing despite others stating that its very simple !!! At your own risk .

I spent £750 on my 2017 SJ model last year I am most certainty not going to do this even if their is or is not an option for this . If I spent £1300 on a OLED no way , anyway their will be further software updates on this anyway just be patience LG are always doing software updates for their models they are pretty good at it . Dolby Laboratories are well aware of this said issue it has been said . So both LG & Dolby Laboratories are still working on this problem .

16. doug56hl

doug56hl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,885
    Or there may not...
    I can't see any sign of a special counter in the service manual I have for the 2016 Oleds. Not to say it's just not shown in the manual though.
    Don't think phones have service menus.
    Are you thinking of the 'binary counter' which shows if the phone has been rooted? There's a flag register in your phone whose count is by default 1 or 0. When you root your phone, that count goes up. But there are methods developers have devised to make that flag register's count back to 1 or 0.
    https://www.quora.com/Does-rooting-...nty-as-everyone-says-Cant-we-just-unroot-them

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  17. marcd5123

marcd5123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +258
    Hi Yes I believe you are correct in that one their is a counter I had for many years Samsung mobiles and they had something called a Knox counter 0 or 1 .I have gone back to Sony mobile the last few years and will be sticking with Sony now for the foreseeable future not sure how it is with Sony mine is unlocked Sony phone but my previous Samsungs were Locked to EE ..anway

I'm not going to take that chance for me I'll wait for a LG update that will hopefully tackle that problem on my 2017 49SJ810V it's not horrendous issue maybe it's worse on OLEDS I don't know .

As you stated their maybe a counter and their maybe not somewhere that not easy for us consumers to see I'm not willing to take that risk and blow a 4 years warranty with JL for that TV cost me £750 that's a great deal of money for me .

Normally I'm quite happy with routing or changing firmwares around on Mobiles and TVs and PC I work in the IT electronics industry my self but it's my £750 and not someone else's so I'll wait and be patient.

Changing that setting may also possible adverse effects

I wish the rest of you good luck .:hiya:

18. CaptainNick

CaptainNick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Utter claptrap! Your paranoia should not be taken as fact even though you proclaim it. Accessing a service menu provided on an electronic device of many different kinds including TV's does not void your warranty of the device. These are legitimate TV settings in this case and are usually separated from the normal user interface as a more advanced/technical understanding is required to use them. If used with the correct advice and support then there is little risk of doing any harm.

You may need to wear a tinfoil hat when accessing the menu though as "they're watching you!" Equating it to resetting a knox bit on a Samsung device is ludicrous and it sounds like maybe you shouldn't be touching things you don't understand.

19. raymondo77

raymondo77
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,479
    [​IMG]

20. marcd5123

marcd5123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +258
    Well that is your opinion as you are enttiled to one of cause .You may be correct yes we are all entitled to do as we wish with our products after all we have purchased that device .However their is something called LG terms and conditions and JL they use a authorised LG repair centre so I am not about to breach those tesrms under the warranty .

You may wish to disagree that's up to you but obviously we all have our own minds and I am sticking to my decision .I have a decent enough experience with electronics as a whole anyway with Hi-Fi ,TVs and mobiles that has served me well for many years and funny enough it's all worked and served me well .:smashin: