Auto calibration speaker settings.

u8myufo

I have just re-run the auto calibration on the Sony str-dn1080 after adding a front pair of up-firing Elac debut atmos speakers, and the speaker placement is correct on screen at 5.1.2. Looking at the settings after calibration though the fronts are showing as large which is fine as they are B&W 602 S3`s. The centre speaker shows as large which is an Accoustic energy and the rears are showing as large which again are Accoustics. The two Elac modules I have added are also set as large.

1: Should I set all but the front L/R to small? As I was under the impression that any speaker that does not have a bass speaker larger than around six and a quarter inches should be.

2: All speakers apart from the front L/R are set at 120 crossover, the mains are just 3 dots which you cannot change but I guess that`s normal as they are bigger speakers. I thought the favoured crossover is 80 from what I read?

3: Lastly, the only distance adjustment I can see on screen for height speakers is at the beginning of the intitial setup. It only shows speakers mounted in the ceiling with an arrow from floor to ceiling. It does say you can set these up later so I left them as was. But checking the settings after calibration it shows the Elac distance to be nearly 3mtrs. Given that they are sat on top the fronts they are as good as 1.5mtrs to the ceiling. Going in to the distance settings for those it can only be knocked down to 2mtrs, I am not sure when it runs the test tones if it is actually measuring the sound from when it hits the ceiling, or from when it bounces off of the ceiling and hits the floor. Any help here appreciated.

dante01

Distinguished Member
You'd always be recommended to manually deal with the bass management post calibrating an AVR. You'd be recommended to set all speakers as being SMALL regardless of their actual physical size or indeed their rated capabilities. You'd also be recommended to set all crossovers onboard the AV receiver no lower than 80Hz. Setting them higher than this would also be fine. You should not set crossovers lower than the AV receiver measured the roll offs to be during the calibration though.

You may find this article of some interest:

By the way, you should be able to set all your speakers as SMALL and be able to set crossover points for them. Any speaker set as SMALL can have a crossover setting. THe setting determines at which point to redirect frequencies at and below that setting away from the speakers designated SMALL and out to your active sub. Speakers set as LARGE do not have crossovers and are treated as being FULL RANGE.

All your speakers will have distance settings. I'd not suggest you use a tape measure to set these though and I'd leave the settings as they werte set by the auto calibration. The AV receiver determines these settings by measuring how long it took the test signals to reach the mic. THere are factors at work that can effect the results and the fact that they may not correspond with actual distances is of no real importance:

Distance​

Seriously, how important can this be? You let auto-calibration take care of this for you, or if you’re feeling particularly hands on, you might whip out the tape measure, right? A word of wisdom: don’t underestimate the power of the distance setting in your A/V receiver. Obviously the primary job of the distance setting is setting a delay relative to your other speakers. Note, the distance reported by your receiver’s auto-calibration will be inclusive of any delay caused by signal processing happening inside the subwoofer (EQ, low pass filtering, etc.), which can add several feet to the distance per your tape measure. Above and beyond this, the distance adjustment functions as a phase control of sorts. Adding or subtracting a couple feet from the distance of your subwoofer is a viable way of getting rid of an ugly peak or dip around the crossover point. Again, to make the most out of this tool, one does need the ability to take measurements. Still, who would have ever thought such an innocuous setting could have that kind of power?

The AV receiver is better at determining the delay required (distance setting) than either you or a tape measue.

Last edited:

u8myufo

You'd also be recommended to set all crossovers onboard the AV receiver no lower than 80Hz. Setting them higher than this would also be fine.
Cheers for that

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom