1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Authorise the HD3

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by mcfarfs, Mar 15, 2005.

1. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi, I don't seem to be able to authorise my HD3. I havegot SS 2.3, and when I have the device connected and click properties, a window pops up. I then click "Authorize", and another window pops up. I click "yes", and SonicStage goes to the connect music store. Thats it, it stays on the homepage and won't load up anything to do with authorizing. Please help! :confused:

:lease:

2. Hasselhoffia

Hasselhoffia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had the same problem when I upgraded to version 3.0. Went to authorize the player and it would say 'please wait' or whatever, but not get any further. I did an 'initialize' on my player and was then able to authorize it no problems, took about 5 seconds.

3. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I tried that. It let me register, and authorise my player. Only problem is cos I'm now running SS 3.0, every time I click "My Account" or anything like that it detects that Im not from the US. I heard that you get 45 free downloads, is this true?

4. ymboc

ymboc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is true :)

Attached Files:

5. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Nice! How soon after registering did you get this email?

6. combustion

combustion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got mine about 24hrs later.

7. Hasselhoffia

Hasselhoffia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure what the dilly with the US detection is, as I'm in London, UK and I can get on it fine to use my 45 free downloads. But yeah, took about 24-48 hours for my email to come through.

8. caz1979

caz1979
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm just going to give up on SonicStage. I take back anything nice I ever said about it. I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling, upgrading to 3.0, downgrading to 2.3 you name it but can I find any way of authorizing my HD3? I can't even find a section called My Account let alone somewhere that mentions what PC I have authorized etc.

I can't log into Connect on v3 due to the non-US connection message so I think I'll just put 2.3 back on (for the umpteenth time) and live without the tracks I paid good money for. Why try to entice people to go legit with MP3s if you're going to use DRM to annoy the hell out of the user?

9. ymboc

ymboc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I imagine they're determining the country of origin by either reverse DNS / looking up arin information... or perhaps the country you selected when installing the OS (ie: regional settings)... Just two possibilities you could give it a shot though <shrug>

10. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12

I think they can tell by your ip address which tells them your isp. Duno how it works for some and not others though.

11. ymboc

ymboc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    they *could* tell by your ip address (which is the arin info I was referring to)... but the inconsistency is why I suggested they could be using another method... ... only way you're (somewhat) going to get to the bottom of it is if you can get people who have been able to register, but shouldn't have been able to do so to report the following:
    -Their regional regional settings,
    -The trailing portion of their reverse dns? (ie: .com or .co.uk)
    - If their arin information ( http://www.arin.net/ ) correctly shows the country of origin.

and compare that to your own results.

Good luck!

12. mushroom

mushroom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you can try connect via proxy server. try to look for one from US

13. ymboc

ymboc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unbelievable... last week I was able to register *and* use the service... was able to vew authorized devices and computers etc... the registration form even said that the service was available to the US and Canada only and had all the appropriate fields for province (vs state) postal code (vs zip).... and now this.... so. frustrating.

14. goodwin_rj

goodwin_rj
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had the same problem the below response fixed it (Sonic Stage 2.3). But, it does also mean a complete restore to factory settings/initalise hard disk first on 2.3. That said my HD3 is fine and can load tunes bought from CONNECT:

"Dear Mr. XXXXXXX

We regret that you are having problems using your NW-HD with our service.
    There is a difference in the licensing models between the US and European services. In order to resolve this issue there are a list of steps that need to be followed.

Please follow these steps in the order they are written.

1. Ensure for all actions you are logged in with Administration rights.
    2. Use 'Add or Remove Programs' in your Control Panel to remove the current version of SonicStage.
    3. Download and run the patch from
    http://download.connect-europe.com/ss23/patches/AADHUtil.exe
    4. Install the CONNECT Europe version of SonicStage from http:\\download.connect-europe.com\ss23\sonicstageinstaller.exe
    5. Initialise the NW-HD

On the HD
    Press the Menu button until "Menu" appears Press the down key until "FORMAT" is high lighted, and press select (centre
    button)
    Two options are presented "Factory Settings" and "Initialise Hard Disk"
    Press the down key to highlight "Initialise" and then press select (centre
    button)
    A verify screen is displayed "Initialise Hard Disk Proceed?", select Yes A warning that all tracks will be deleted when HDD in Initialised select "Yes" or "No"
    Select Yes and the Initialise will begin. This process will take less than a minute.

Place the HDD back on the docking station and launch SonicStage 2.3.
    SonicStage will now synchronise with the device, this process may take a few minutes.

You should now be able to use HDD with SonicStage and transfer your music.

Please feel free to contact us if you require any more detailed instructions, or if you are still having issues with transferring your music once you have followed the above steps.

Kind regards,

The CONNECT Team
    "
    Hope this helps....

15. caz1979

caz1979
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll give your suggestion a shot. I haven't even had the heart to look at my HD3 in the last week due to the problems I've had with SS 2.3. I can transfer tracks etc but can't authorize the player. I've initialized the player so many times and reinstalled the software on so many occassions I was resigned to only being able to transfer ripped albums and not the singles I'd purchased from Connect.

Edit: 2 hours after this post I had most of my music transferred across including the singles I bought from Connect. Many thanks for posting the info goodwin_rj :clap:

16. ymboc

ymboc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a heads up... their country detection scheme is ip based (either arin or reverse dns, not sure).... I have been able to connect using a proxy server located in the states.

a word of warning when using a random 'free' proxy server off the internet... the proxy server gets to see *everything* you request and send... so while connect.com is running https and thus should be okay (if they use ssl for everything).... your other non-secure communications may not.

17. Hasselhoffia

Hasselhoffia

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Their scheme certainly isn't perfect, as I'm based in London, UK, which is where my IP address is showing as being from here and can access the Connect US store no problem.