Australian HD-E1 region free?

cybersoga

Prominent Member
Reaction score
It is my understanding that even though Australia has it's own DVD region code (4), most DVD players in Australia are sold region free (the High Court of Australia ruled that region lockouts breached fair trade and market competition practices), and that they are usually the same players we have here in the UK but have already been unlocked prior to sale. Is the Australian HD-E1 region free for standard DVD playback? If so, updating with Australian firmware might make our UK players region free too.

Welcome Mr.Einstein. Too much of lateral thinking going on in your mind. We would love to apply Australian firmware if the info is genuine.

The man has a point, so why are you being sarcastic??:mad:

I hear the reason why the layer is hard to crack for SD DVD MR is because the E1 is a PC inside, so the drive itself needs a firmwre flash?

R.
Mass

No, the Australian HD-E1 is not region free for SD playback.

In my many attempts when searching the net to find even the tiniest snippet of information on multiregion hacks for it I found an Australian AV forum site where there was a big discussion on the E1. A lot of people disappointed the Toshiba had not released it region free. Despite the high court ruling in Oz, Toshiba had got round it somehow.

It is so hard to hack due to the fact that it is running Linux. Not you normal basic DVD player OS.

The man has a point, so why are you being sarcastic??:mad:

I hear the reason why the layer is hard to crack for SD DVD MR is because the E1 is a PC inside, so the drive itself needs a firmwre flash?

R.
Mass

You are correct; it is a PC, running Linux.
Hence the long boot up and DVD loading times.
Look at the several pages of licence stuff at the back of your owner’s manual.

This link is an old one and about the HD A1, but is still relevant.
http://geekswithblogs.net/lorint/archive/2006/04/25/76295.aspx

Any multi-region hack is looking like a complete firmware/operating system upgrade/replacement.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom