Australian Bushfires

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by robfosters, Feb 9, 2009.

1. robfosters

robfosters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Just watching it on Sky News. Absolutely tragic.

I cant believe people would actually start those fires on purpose.

They sound terrifying. I have obviously never been in one, but they sound like possibly the worst experience possible.

Also, I know it's nothing compared to human lives, but can you imagine how much wildlife has been wiped out by this as well.

2. tudj

tudj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    It is sickening to think that individuals re-lit the fires that the emergency services and volunteers spent so much time and effort putting out.

3. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    yes it really is mind boggling that someone would deliberatly do that.

Though I have every expectation that the culprits once caught will say something like "I never meant to hurt anyone" :suicide:

4. stormchaser2005

stormchaser2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    unfortunately I don't think it is the first time that something like that has happened:(

Watching it on sky news earlier, seeing one survivor in such a state of shock that he wasn't even crying for his children was heartbreaking. :( I don't think we could comprehend just what it must be like for them there, the worst we have to deal with is a few inches of snow..... They couldn't interview their prime minister as he was so close to tears:(

5. Wild Weasel

Wild Weasel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +720
    Yes, it puts it into perspective. They've been having a real heatwave out there and the place is like a tinder box.

Anyone caught setting fires should be just put up against a wall & shot.

6. jay mc

jay mc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    They have some of the most amazing wildlife in the world in that region. Sadly australia already has one of the fastest rates of wildlife loss in the world and this is just going to hurt that further.

7. huntere

huntere

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Go to say guys this truely one if the most devastating things I've ever known.
    Ok its not on the scale of the tsnumai but living here in Aus on a bush block where fire is always a threat its really incredible.
    We have to maintain a firebreak around our house and when we are allowed to burn you would not believe how fast branches go up.
    For reference when in UK, I lived in Kent - thats almost exactly the same area that has been destroyed by fire.

By a cruel twist of nature up north here we have terrible floods with whole towns wiped out (Ingham QLD).
    And with all the weather you guys have over there as well - I'm sure that must have led to loss of life.
    Whats going on?

8. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,304
    I think you would be surprised just how quickly it will come back . I am sure I have seen a documentary covering this subject , It may even have been on a Ray Mears programme. Yes its devastating for the human population . but nature has been overcoming such disasters for millennia

9. stormchaser2005

stormchaser2005

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24

The weather here although not what some areas are used to was not even close to what you are going through. We have now had rain and high winds and so flooding will follow. I don't think it even compares to what's going on over there:( I was talking to one of the other drivers at work and his son is in the fire service over there right in the thick of it. He apparently described the fire as spreading so fast that it was like watching a flame following a line of petrol and nobody has a chance of getting away from it which is how people died in their cars. I feel very lucky not to be in that situation and wouldn't wish it on anyone, I can't imagine how terrifying it must have been for those that managed to survive it. I hope the people that have re-started the fires are found and the full weight of the law applied:mad:

10. Piijt

Piijt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  11. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,601
    It is very sad
    Bushfires are a natural phenomena of the eucalyptus landscape in Australia. As trees need fire in order that the seeds are released

12. eric pisch

eric pisch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    the fires are often made worse by man putting them out when they start so over the years the unburnt litter on the ground builds up so you end up with fires 1000 times worse than would occur normally

13. jay mc

jay mc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Yes there are indeed natural occuring fires but sadly that wasent the case with this one on all the locations reported.

14. jay mc

jay mc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Yep nature can find a way to come back but it is sadly a fact that aus does have one of the fastest declines in wildlife numbers in the world. I have to try and find the report on it again, made very intresting reading.