1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Austin Powers: IMOM R2 and R1 differences

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by michaelm, Feb 10, 2003.

1. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    This has been bugging me for quite a while.

In the R2 version of AP:IMOM there are several scenes which are not included in the R1 movie, although some are included in the Deleted Scenes.

Those in question are the Henchman's wife and son scene (receiving word he has been run over by a steamroller), Hooters scene with Rob Lowe (the stag party for the henchman killed by the angry, mutated seabass) and both scenes with Christian Slater.

Does anyone know why these were deleted from the American release and included in the UK release and if this also happened in the theatrical releases?

I got the R1 version before the R2 was released and I could never justify buying both versions.

2. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also take into account the R1 is in the wrong aspect ratio - it's been reformatted to fit a 16:9 screen, whereas the R2 is in it's original 2.35.1. The answer to your questions is probably something to do with copywrite issues, the Christian Slater scenes defo....the others I'm not to sure about I'm afraid.

BTW, the aspect ratio problem would be excuse enough for me to get the R2 version and sell the R1 to some poor unsuspecting mug on the forums - that's how I got my R1 version....which I THREW AWAY and brought the R2:rolleyes:

3. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Apparently the American audience didn't think the henchman scenes were funny (?)

I seem to remember the flowery cards coming up at the cinema explaining the scenes. These are not on the UK dvd but are on the deleted scenes on the US dvd.

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    R1 is 2:1, so not quite 16:9.

It actually says on the back of the R1 "formatted to 2:1 as specified by the director".

Interesting... wonder why the director would specify that.

5. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    The 2.1:1 AR was set up for the laserdisc. As most Americans would be watching on 4:3 tvs it makes sense. I think they were being lazy on the dvd release and just used the same transfer set to anamorphic. As we got a different version of the film, ours was done properly. This is my theory.