Auschwitz

I couldn't see any requirement to book a guide, only to pre book space. They suggest 90 minutes in each camp.

Might be worth sending them an email??

I was there this summer (with Polish friends), when driving to Krakow. We hadn't checked in advance, but found crowds of people (no surprise) waiting to get in. Effectively you had to queue to get booked in to a time-slot tour party and cannot enter unaccompanied. Each party was for a specific language, so we asked to go with the first available one that still had spaces, that happened to be Slovak! Once in, we stuck with the party for a while then just wandered off and made our own way around. It appeared we were not alone in doing this. I can understand why they try to keep all visitors under control of guides, as the uneven flow of visitors would lead to serious congestion in some areas.

I don't think we were inside for much more than 3 hours, but certainly didn't have time to take everything in. Some of the huts are national museums e.g. Russian, Dutch, Czech ... I was only briefly in a couple and had them to myself. In the 'main' huts the tour takes you through, are such as piles of prosthetics, or hair, now behind glass. My Polish friends told me that many years ago, before glass was fitted, visitors could even touch these (and smell them), which was even more evocative, though ultimately untenable.

Perhaps you should advance book to join a specific language tour, maybe even getting one you can speak? I see these are scheduled for 3.5hrs - spending much less time may be missing the point of visiting this place.

I'd recommend to any visitor that they have decent footwear on, as ground is often very uneven.

Good luck!
Neil

thanks
once you are in can you easily get to birkenau as well? is it one large complex

I'm going to admit that (extremely unusually for me) I didn't get a guidebook or map of the site. It appears we were only in Auschwitz 1 and not Birkenau. This is the first time I'd looked at the website and it doesn't quite match our experience. We were told access was only by joining a group, so there was no option for getting free entry to "do your own thing".
Not all buildings are open to visitors, but the guided parties are going in a procession around the buildings with main exhibits. I didn't see any groups near those individual 'country' museums I previously referred to. The last part we walked to was at one extremity of the site where there was a re-creation of a block used for gassing. Again, there were only individuals in that area at that time and no groups.
I forgot to mention that you are given an audio guide, but it was set to the language of the group you enter with, so of no help to this non-Slovak speaker!
Do remember that though there is a large site, the Nazis destroyed as much as they could of the extermination site, so what we see is not what existed when in use. The whole site was massive when in use and the website does say that much of the Birkenau site is now empty except for the roadways.

Last edited:
There was a special bus between the locations when I was there, or if the times didn't suit a taxi was cheap.
No idea if this is still possible as the statements in this thread suggest they are controling access for some reason ( maybe there was vandalism or similar reason ). The two locations are quite apart so you will need transport one way or another, be it independent or chaparoned. An interesting alternative but slow way to get out there is the train. Auschwitz town is the station. I used the train to go back for something different to do and I enjoyed it. For going out there was a special bus from the main bus station that went right to the Auschwitz buildings and could have taken me back but I wanted variety. Of course the train will only come into it if you are allowed currently to visit independently. I would suggest checking Tripadvisor for up to date comment on access to the sites. At both sites there are no attractions or rides at either park other than the transfer bus I mentioned - unless maybe something has changed.

There was a special bus between the locations when I was there, or if the times didn't suit a taxi was cheap.
No idea if this is still possible as the statements in this thread suggest they are controling access for some reason ( maybe there was vandalism or similar reason ). The two locations are quite apart so you will need transport one way or another, be it independent or chaparoned. An interesting alternative but slow way to get out there is the train. Auschwitz town is the station. I used the train to go back for something different to do and I enjoyed it. For going out there was a special bus from the main bus station that went right to the Auschwitz buildings and could have taken me back but I wanted variety. Of course the train will only come into it if you are allowed currently to visit independently. I would suggest checking Tripadvisor for up to date comment on access to the sites. At both sites there are no attractions or rides at either park other than the transfer bus I mentioned - unless maybe something has changed.

Attractions or rides? I would hope not! Unless you meant something different.

yes i think the train is from the town Oswiecim?
was it a direct connection back to krakow?

Attractions or rides? I would hope not! Unless you meant something different.
Well from the sound of things it may have changed management or ownership and thus there might now be facilities added. When I was there it was bare bones, just a cafe and I think some kind of learning resource centre. This I mean at the reception building, separate from the main exhibits and information boards by each. Oh I just recalled - there is a cinema there, which was free. All of these I am speaking about the main buildings at Auschwitz, which by the way is a former army barrcks the Nazis turned over to use as a camp.

Speaking to a Polish friend, she suggests that private visits are still possible, but the tour guides will do everything possible to persuade you that you need to join a tour - as access is free to both sites.

To the best of her knowledge, this has not changed, only that they now want you to book in advance to limit daily numbers at peak times.

From what she was saying the locals have an odd relationship with the camp. It's still quite an antisemitic area - stemming from the eviction of the local population during the war and other local tensions and so they see no issue in profiting from the camps. I must stress I don't know how true this is and she is not local to that area, being latterly from Warsaw and originally from Russia, but it may help to explain a few things.

off topic slightly but what would you budget for a poland trip. meals for 4 days, etc
it looks a reasonably cheap place

hi
has anyone travelled to Auschwitz this year? (from Krakow)
seems there is now online reservation in place where you need to book with a guide?
Select the type of the visit - Państwowe Muzeum Auschwitz-Birkenau
the times are not great, the 0900am tour is a 6hr!! tour
i really just wanted to visit and walk around myself for a few hrs

any tips?

thanks
Here are some sights you will encounter....The victims and the town camp entrance
P1010961.JPG

Attachments

• P1020055.JPG
    P1020055.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 51
The ex-barracks pictured above is relatively compact. However the big open space that is Berkenau involves a lot of walking and there is no narrow gauge railway or monorail around the edge to speed getting to the different sections of the place.

There are many things to experience at Berkenau and as they are spread out its probably a good idea to pick up a park map from guest services at the entrance to the Auschwitz part.

off topic slightly but what would you budget for a poland trip. meals for 4 days, etc
it looks a reasonably cheap place

We first went about 12 years ago and got around 9 Zlt to the GBP. You get just short of 5 today. We went for 4 days, changed 200 quid and brought 110 back! It was stupidly cheap when we went. Marlboros were 80p a pack, the return bus ticket from Krakow to Auschwitz was 65p, (70 minute journey.) It’s still the best holiday I’ve ever had, Krakow is fantastic, and the cheapest. I’m sure it’s not so cheap now but I’d imagine it’s still great value for money.

Auschwitz is best visited in winter imho. It’s a lot quieter. When we first went (late November) there had been a few days of very heavy snowfall prior to our visit. It really hammered home the horrifying conditions the people suffered in those places. There can’t have been more than 30 people in Birkenau as we walked around, we almost had the place to ourself. Peace and quiet and being able to wander at your own pace is very important I think when visiting the sites. I’ve been back since then and it seems that visitor numbers are increasing year on year, which is a good thing in truth, but you can still avoid the busier times with a bit of careful planning.

got back from krakow recently
enjoyed it a lot. could have probably spent more time there as i didn't get to the salt mines which look good. @MisterRigsby yes prices have started to creep up unfortunately. all around the main square is expensive but you can find cheaper places. we spent about £200 between 2 over 5 days. still the cheapest place i've ever been to though :smashin:

auschwitz was very interesting. it was very busy and crowded trying to get in. little organisation in the queues etc
i queued, he scanned my ticket then told me my backpack was too big so i had to pay to put it in lockers and queue again. was maybe a good thing as the exhibit buildings get very crowded.

i would not have liked to have been with a tour, was easier to just do your own thing. if you arrive before 10am they ask you at the ticket office if you want a guide or not.

berkenau was unbelievable :eek: the size of that place. a map would have been good actually but we just walked our own path. we missed a few things but the legs were walked off us so we decided to head on. it was quite away from the main tracks. a haunting experience

Absolutely agree.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom