1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Aurum Cantus - NEW speaker on the block

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by phillfyspoon, Feb 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    been reading about this speaker on another forum and it is causing quite a reaction. It cost £1200 but is beating speakers many times the price including a pmc model costing £3800. it uses a ribbon tweeter that can go upto 40khz and the vocals are meant to sound the best of any speaker due to the ribbon tweeter. like the singer is in the room in mid air.

they are only avalible through one uk retailer. they are called Aurum Cantus "Leisure 3SE" and have been reviewed by hifichoice as a best buy.

alot of people gave this reaction and most of them own high-end speakers.

just thought I would let u know as I want a pair now.

http://www.aurumcantus.com/loudspeaker/hifi/images/107-0752_IMG.jpg

http://www.aurumcantus.com/

2. Roohster

Roohster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,490
    40 kHz?

I must get my dog a pair! ;)

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Ribbons have been around in various forms for quite a while,perhaps the most famous(or infamous) being the Apogees,especially the Scintilla.

Yes,the sound can be beautiful,and obviously in many ways,similar to a good pair of electrostatics....I'd love to hear a pair sometime,and compare them with a set of ESLs.
    The Chinese have been making some amazing inroads into mid level audio,and obviously have their target set on the high end as well.

4. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Ribbons can sound great but it is not a guarantee of quality. It is not to say these speakers are good or bad but it has always worried me when HiFi folk start claiming product X is better than those cost 2 or 3 times as much. There are exceptions such as the Quad ELS or Decca cartridges but such products are rare.

I think one of the problems with ribbons is because they are so clear and open they often tend to highlight the weaknesses in the bass drivers.

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Is this the same trader who introduces every product that he launches onto an unsuspecting public with a similar string of superlatives.

These £1,200 per pair speakers are said by him to sound better than the £3,800 reference speakers sold by PMC.

It is a phrase that will sound very familiar to those that recall his comments that the Blue Sky speakers that he had just started to sell were almost as good as his reference M&K speakers that cost five times the price or that the subwoofers that he sells punch far above their weight.

He also insisted that the sound from his reference £3,800 subwoofer "took on a new clarity and roundness with tight bass taking on a new meaning" when he sited it on a £50 mat that he had just started to sell that was designed for musicians to put their amps on. Secrets of Home Theater testing the same product stated that there was no difference in frequency response or impact and surmised that the "Gramma was not a tweak for your sub"

Leaving aside all of the hyperbole these speakers are actually manufactured by an OEM company in China and whilst they sell throughout China under the Haihuang label they have been given the more upmarket Italian name throughout the Western world to appeal to the snob instincts in some people. Aurum Cantus speakers are freely available from various Ebay traders at much cheaper prices or even directly from Cattylink in China at www.cattylink.com who will supply a huge range of Chinese audio equipment at very low prices but before you leap in with both feet why not read that Hifi Choice review more carefully as whilst it liked the Aurum Cantus speakers at £1,200 it gave top honours to the Triangle speakers which were significantly cheaper. The summary is here. Further reviews of other Aurum Cantus speakers certainly don't give the impression that they offer the best value at their own price let alone against speakers costing three times as much as the review here will show and this review where the reviewer didn't think much of them at all.

If anyone wants to try them out though Hicam of Northampton sell the brand and have an pair of ex demo speakers going for £900 here but before taking the words at face value of someone trying to shift stock I will remind you that the very same person also said the following :-

6. Madders

Madders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Hi,

I had a demo of these speakers a few weeks back and they are very nice. I can't say they are the best speakers in the £1200 catagory as I haven't heard them all ;) but I would definitely recommend you put them on your shortlist as their detail and soundstaging was amazing. What I can comment on is the awesome build quality. The finish of these speakers is some of the finest I have seen at any price. Whether you demo/buy them from "he who shall not be named" or Hicam is up to you (it doesn't concern me either way) but I would certainly look at warranty issues if buying direct from China.

7. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    his words were echoed by alot of other people. so im sure these speakers are something special in there price range.

8. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    these speakers are made in china to keep costs down but are not sold in china. that isnt a bad thing as quad are also made in china and everyone likes them.

9. 30CenturyMan

30CenturyMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Everyone except me? :confused:

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    As I have already said these speakers are sold in China under the Haihuang label with the much posher Italian sounding label reserved for overseas markets.

11. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've heard them too and they have a beautiful handling of vocals in particular and a rich and authoritative deep end.

The Pink Triangles 'arguably' took top honours in the HFC test and are finished in a vinyl woodprint according to the test. Aesthetics don't matter to everyone, but IMHO the extra £225/pair premium on the AC speakers has gone into the finish and is worth every penny.

12. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    in china they sell a cheaper model that can be found on ebay. where ever they are sold they are still worth the money for the price and if they are better then speakers many times the price, well then they worth even more money i guess. the finish is certainly better then anything in it's price range. 14 coats!

13. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Ian do you have any experience of cattylink or know people who do? There are some interesting items on that site.

The speakers can be found on Ebay for about £350 if you are willing to wait a while for delivery. Madders giving his recommendation makes them tempting :)

14. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Daneel - most of what they sell seems to be traditional hifi equipment and I found the original link here a year ago in this thread.

phillfyspoon - you are welcome to believe whatever hype you wish but please read the review to the link that I posted from the reviewer that was less than impressed and thought that the smaller Leisure 2SE looked pretty but the sound quality wasn't up to much with quotes like the following:-

Bear in mind that the above reviewer doesn't earn a living from selling the product and therefore is likely to put forward a more balanced view than someone known for his OTT recommendations of everything he sells.

Incidentally - the thread to which you refer to has been severely doctored with a whole raft of less than enthusiastic posts quietly deleted.

15. chips

chips

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    It does seem that there are mixed opinions regarding these speakers. I dug out this post from pcavelle who seems very pleased with his. At £230 per pair they could be an interesting experiment. I certainly wouldn't pay £900 for them when they are available for so much less.

Perhaps we should consider getting any interested parties together and buy a reasonable quantity to get a discount and save on shipping.

16. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,171
    One point worth mentioning there, in some cases the gramma can DEFINATELY be a tweak for the sub; at least in my own experience. But I'm coming at it from a different point of view...

I'm not talking about improving the sound quality of the subwoofer itself, but the environment it's interacting with. They aren't suitable for all environments certainly, but the usage where floor resonance is an issue can bring huge benefits.

17. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    The product is not the leisure 2se it is the 3se. the 2se isnt meant to be any good but the 3se is.

18. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Sorry I had misunderstood but I will remember in future that the company make two speakers. One is the best in the world and the other is rubbish :suicide:

19. Neale

Neale
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow cool it This is not the first time that I have heard that there are two different speakers with different model numbers that sound very different Also the Ribbon tweeters are supplied to other Hi end speaker manufactures and are very highly rated in their own right

20. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    The Secrets review was very positive, ending with the words "the GRAMMA gets a thumbs up!", also the same product is also marketed and sold as the Subdude which is intended for subwoofers/speakers.

21. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I got a response from Cattylink. The speakers (Leisure 2 mk II) are $498 but they want $220 for shipping and $15 for handling and document charges (??) which is rather steep. Payment options are bank transfer or paypal, both of which have an additional charge of 3.5% on top. This gives a grand total of $759. Then there are possible customs charges on top.

Some of the stuff on their site looks really nice but aren't as cheap as they first seem.

I may go and demo the 3SE, it's the only realy way to know if they are any good or not.

22. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Daneel - The Leisure 2 MkII w/ Aluminum Ribbon Tweeter have been available via an Ebay trader for quite a while. He charges £309 plus £136 for delivery directly from Hong Kong plus £7 shipping insurance.

There will be duty and Vat payable on top but the supplier is very accomodating in helping to minimize duties.

Have a look here for the Ebay website

23. Smurfin

Smurfin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,171
    I have no idea how good these are, and as usual opinion will be divided. One thing's for sure though, no matter how good they are, if you're someone who likes changing kit reasonably often they're a poor choice as the resale value will be very poor. I'd still like to hear that ribbon tweeter though:)

24. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    You can buy the Leisure 2 Mk II in the UK 'pre-imported' from Edenlake for £520, I've bought from them (not Aurum speakers) and they're good to deal with.
    If you want to build your own then E-Speakers will give you some idea of the components cost.
    The 'Aurum Cantus' Chinese site is http://www.haihuang-audio.com/ and they are also known as Jinlang Audio Co., Ltd.

Smurfin is right however. Whether the speakers are the best in the world or not, the re-sale value will not be good on a brand with such limited awarness in the 'real world'.

25. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    the mkIII isnt even on that site like I said i dont think it is sold in china.

26. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  27. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Including such wonderful phrases as :-

28. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I certainly would :laugh:

29. jhjerpe

jhjerpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
    If a speaker was so good I wanted to fondle it, i'd buy one! lol

30. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Anyone who puts the beautiful craftsmanship of a speaker high on their list of priorities but with a better resale value due to the manufacturer's pedigree should start their search here but these are front ported so no placement problems.

I very nearly bought a pair myself two years ago but was talked out of it and have often wondered whether or not I did the right thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.