Aurora Finland, April 2015

rich1

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been back a week now from our ski trip to Levi in the far north of Finland, we have visited this beautiful country many times now but never this late in the year, it was nice to have temperatures that were around 0c, not the -30c that we have seen on some of our trips before.

It made it easier to photograph the aurora this time without getting frozen fingers, the only downside is that it doesn't get dark enough to see the lights until about midnight at this time of year and even at 2.30am there was still a glow on the horizon.

Cracking images. Looks like there's a lot of chroma noise though?

Yeah shooting at iso1600 on my Sony A700 thought it would do a better job, this is the only time I do night photography so didn't find out till I got them on screen. I've only got limited editing skills so not sure if I could do anything with them.

Should be pretty easy to correct in PP

If you call me a pixel peeper you need to go to specsavers, it's clear even on the small images posted on here :p

...no the 2nd word was "Off" :devil:

Point was it doesn't matter to me in the slightest on that sort of shot.....

...no the 2nd word was "Off" :devil:

Point was it doesn't matter to me in the slightest on that sort of shot.....
Fair enough, that's your preference :p

I've got another 50 odd to have a go with, I need to watch some tutorials on youtube.

I've got another 50 odd to have a go with, I need to watch some tutorials on youtube.
Easy if you have something like lightroom, just move the noise sliders up a touch (colour and luminance), but making sure you don't go too far and lose detail. Normally colour noise is done automatically on import (set to 20 IIRC) which is why I don't normally see it.

But as you can see from above, it doesn't bother everyone and if it doesn't bother you then there's no need to adjust it. Unfortunately stuff like this leaps out at me :(

Didn't know that (no not the bit about you Snerks ;))

I've got lightzone which I can have a go with for now until I get something better, it does bother me a bit just haven't needed to correct it before.

love #3, would love to get one like that.
but unfortunately working away from home means too much light pollution and not far enough north.

Didn't know that (no not the bit about you Snerks ;))
I still have my LR set up as default for import and it adds 25 colour noise and 25 sharpening. Colour noise reduction was needed at all ISO on my A77's, but on the D750 it's only needed above 1600 ISO but I just leave it on as I can't see any reduction in IQ, even at 100 ISO.

Great set, I like the adjustments you have made in LR, #7 being the standout shot for me.:smashin:

Great pics, look better with the PP.

Thanks for the feedback :smashin:

This is the last one I've been working on, it was only taken as a bit of fun but has turned out ok.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom