Auralic Aries Mini

Auralic has packed up - or it's the iFi PSU - have to try and find the one it shipped with so can determine ! ... anyone had anything similar from this batch ?

Don't know if mines from the same batch. Got mine in January, no problems here.

spoke to the dealer earlier - they were aware of a few faulty iFi PSUs so might be that ... thanks though bruny

mines been running every day since first week of january no probs with the standard psu

Serves me right for falling for the snake-oil ;-) !

Yeah jont read it this morning. Chris review is spot on, this is easily the best sounding piece of hardware I've bought. not that I'm experienced or anything lol. I've never heard an expensive system before, so not really sure how it compares. only system I've ever heard is my own lol.

Now a week-long happy Aries Mini owner courtesy of @Hillskill . 500GB Samsung Evo 850 SSD installed along with a 16v Linear PSU and it's pretty darn good.

Two questions:

1). How do you search for Artists/Albums/Playlists within Tidal? Haven't worked this one out satisfactorily.
2). Can the Mini search for and download missing album artwork? Shocked how many of my FLAC rips were missing the cover art.

I met the people from Auralic at the indulgence show last week they were great to talk to and really wanted to listen to any problems as well as me praising them and the mini

Now a week-long happy Aries Mini owner courtesy of @Hillskill . 500GB Samsung Evo 850 SSD installed along with a 16v Linear PSU and it's pretty darn good.

Two questions:

1). How do you search for Artists/Albums/Playlists within Tidal? Haven't worked this one out satisfactorily.
2). Can the Mini search for and download missing album artwork? Shocked how many of my FLAC rips were missing the cover art.
Managed to answer the first question myself; any suggestions for the second?

You can't search for and install artwork within the Mini. artwork etc must be done on your pc using MP3tag for windows or similar software installed on your pc. you need to embed the artwork into the the files tag.

Also the img needs to be called folder.jpg I think in order for it to be found and displayed

I'm considering getting an Auralic Aries Mini but haven't so far been able to test it out in a store.

Was wondering how the play behavior is in the Lightning DS app works and was hoping someone here could shed some light on just that.

When i tap a song name after choosing an album, will it A) clear the queue, adding the whole album to the queue playing from the selected song, or B) add the selected song and nothing else to the queue leaving existing songs in the queue?

I generally prefer the play album starting from selected song approach (option A) and was glad to see Sonos finally adding that a year ago or so. So hoping that's the way Auralic impmented it.

Thanks.

I'm considering getting an Auralic Aries Mini but haven't so far been able to test it out in a store.

Was wondering how the play behavior is in the Lightning DS app works and was hoping someone here could shed some light on just that.

When i tap a song name after choosing an album, will it A) clear the queue, adding the whole album to the queue playing from the selected song, or B) add the selected song and nothing else to the queue leaving existing songs in the queue?

I generally prefer the play album starting from selected song approach (option A) and was glad to see Sonos finally adding that a year ago or so. So hoping that's the way Auralic impmented it.

Thanks.

See here,

Lightning DS User's Guide

You get to choose between all those options.
Tap the album cover and it clears the existing queue and starts album from beginning.
Tap a track in the album and you get to choose whether you want to start playing the album from that track or just add that track to the existing playlist.

There are two other music playback programs I use.
Jriver and ipenq, and they both work almost the same way.

Ive never had sonos because of its limitations regarding hi res, but it sounds from your description to be quite primitive.
Most players Ive come across have all the above options when choosing what to play and how it plays.

Great detailed response about playback options...

Thanks for the response Andy. Should of course have thought of locking in the user guide. My bad, and thanks for describing the options. :)

Off topic regarding Sonos, they actually improved the playback experience to better suit my preference a year ago or so. Think it's configurable now. So today that isn't a problem any more and it's a great system for mainstream listening. I have two Sonos devices at home now, but for my main HiFi-system i want something more HiFi and that's where the Aries Mini comes into thought.

Thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom