Auralic Aries Mini Streamer and Linear PSU Review & Comments

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by Ed Selley, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
      AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,667
    2. johnburn

johnburn
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +14
      The main reason I chose this over the Arcam device is that with the beta 5 firmware, this supports Roon and also has its own MQA filters built in...

The Roon functionality made this a complete no-brainier for me.

John.

3. bruny

bruny

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +35
      Had this little streamer since last February and I love it. As said in the review the app is excellent and the sound is IMO (using a linear power supply) also excellent. In the current beta firmware they are introducing a web interface. I have read Auralic support is very good. Every firmware they've introduced has been a very good upgrade.

4. Jefke13

Jefke13
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5
      I'm thinking about buying shares from ess sabre:)

5. mrkwr

mrkwr
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      I wondering about the improvement seen when using the external power supply. If I read the review correctly, this referred to using the built-in DAC and audio outputs, right? If so I can definitely see why the better PS would improve e.g. bass performance.

But if you just used the Aries Mini as a transport, feeding digital files from a NAS/Qobuz into an external DAC, would you then expect to hear any (significant) difference between power supplies? Was this tested in the review?

6. quadnutter

quadnutter

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3
      If using the Mini as a transport with a good SAX such as the Chord 2Qute for example I don't think much improvement could be seen. However, I've not been able to test.

7. mrkwr

mrkwr
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      Thanks. I also contacted Auralic for their position, which essentially confirms this:

"The external PSU mostly improve the sound quality on the analog output of ARIES MINI. The digital and USB output of ARIES MINI can also benefit from the update but only by a small margin. It is much depends on what DAC you are using, if it is a high end type then the investment will still worth the money."​

8. blueye

blueye

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +45
      Can you try before you buy any currently available PSUs for the Mini?

9. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +753
      They would say that to create that small inkling of doubt in the hope they make a sale. How on earth could it improve the signal whilst it is still in a digital/USB format. If it does make any difference at the digital stage then it must me a badly designed digital stage. I would want to see some measurements to back that claim up - which I doubt they can provide. Obvious case of HiFi FUD.

10. rpcovington

rpcovington
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      Will Auralic Mini streamer improve the sound of non-hi-res music files over Qobuz? Do I also need an external DAC? I am now listening to Qobuz via new iPad and Airplay to 4-year-old Apple TV.

11. mark6226

mark6226

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +371
      I have been using this for a couple of weeks now. I've got it set up with a bi amped Cyrus system using the 82 dac and x power and psxr
      Setup is OK. I'd rather run in through my 8plus rather than ipad as the 8plus has much more power. You can control the Aires through the linn app but still need the lightning app on ios.
      I set up a tidal account to access hi res music. This works very easily.
      To be honest there's very little difference between CD sound and 24bit. We can con ourselves the hires is way better but it isn't.. Compare the 192/24 version of kind of blue to CD and its just about the same sound.
      I use excellent phono cables etc £200 a throw so the lack of superior sound isn't down to that. In many cases the hires version sounds worse than CD.
      Its all about the quality of the master. I have found that most masters aren't that good. Japanese masters are usually the best.
      I've ripped my cds using dbpoweramp to get a perfect rip. The sound of these thru the aries and Cyrus set up is superb as long as the master is the same. The beatles sound sublime.
      Overall I'm pleased with the aries. Its a nice way of organising your music collection and doing away with cd.
      Don't expect hires to be significantly better cd. It's not. That isn't the fault of the Aries it's the limitations of rhe format and human hearing range which is limited to 20 kHz max.
      24 bit is supposed to add more depth. In reality it doesnt. Yes some things are more apparent but this is usually at the expense of something else. I'd say the hires sound can be different, but not better.
      The aries is really a toy, just like the ipad. It's not essential but useful. Sound is excellent but that's down partly to my amp/dac.
      I wire to the amp with phono rather than digital. Yes I have the poncy 75ohm leads but phono sounds better and more natural. I've read other users say this as well
      I can't recommend the aries as it's a toy.
      It's a very good toy

12. Cebolla

Cebolla

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +233
      You're contradicting yourself here. The audio going through your amp's phono input that you commented "sounds better and more natural", can only have come from the Aries's own DAC, not your amp's DAC. Plus your comments imply that using your amp's digital input and therefore the amp's DAC, sounds worse!

13. mark6226

mark6226

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +371
      You can use a phono to connect the aries and 82 it doesn't have to be coax. And I've tried a phono and a coax and there's no difference.
      Many have found the phono connection from aries to amp superior. It's well documented in the reviews and I agree that phono sounds better, natural than the digital connection.
      Hires will sound better for those who aren't used to high quality CD sound. If you have a good CD source then the difference is marginal at best. I've put cds and 24 bit side by side and there's hardly a difference.
      People can quote numbers and bit rates but that they are meaningless as its what you hear that matters.
      I'm getting superb sound from cds and the rips. The hires stuff is just something to play around with.
      It's all about the quality of the recording. GINGO can be made anything other than GINGO.
      I like my new toys. The aries supports mqa from tidal. The sound is no better than CD though. It's just a sales thing.
      The beatles are probably the pinnacle of CD sound. I've not heard anything hires that is better.
      Many people now don't have proper hifi they either can't afford one or don't have room in their homes. They are less accustomed to high quality CD sound. That is why hires sounds better to them. Side by side on a good system there's no difference.

14. Legzr1

Legzr1

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +116
      Reads that way to me too but I think the use of ‘phono’ and coax is confusing (well, it’s confusing me at least).

Perhaps he means using the digital output from the source into a DAC using rca analogue cables (phono) and a cable marketed as ‘digital’ (coax).

15. Cebolla

Cebolla

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +233
      Ah, understood - certainly don't want to get involved in one of those controversial (& off topic) cable arguments!

However, even the follow up post reads both ways :confused:

May be @Ned Senior likes both versions :)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    16. dan valentino

dan valentino
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      If I'll go for Aries Mini will I need the linear PSU if all I want is to connect the Aries to coaxial input on my dac?

17. mark6226

mark6226

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +371
      I've been running in my new mini for a few weeks now. The 82dac is getting settled in too.
      I bought a new external hdd. It was a wd desktop 3tb and being wd it needed formatting to remove any probs with windows 10 and permissions.
      The system sounds really good. I haven't changed my opinion of so called hires music. It's not any better than CD. I've found one album so far that is better. It's probably down to the master than the hires.
      If caution anyone before buying the mini as it's not compatible with Windows 10 out of the box.
      Aurelic admitted it doesn't work with Windows 10. They seem reluctant to fix it.
      There is a fix but it takes quite a while to work it out and it's frustrating if you aren't an expert.
      The Aurelic website is years out of date so don't expect any help if you run the beta firmware.
      When the mini works it's brilliant.
      Out of the box it's not fit got its intended purpose. It doesn't come with a warning about its incompatibility with windows 10 so anyone who buys it will be entitled to a full refund under the new consumer rights laws as its got a proven flaw.
      I don't know how it works in a NAS non Windows set up.
      Overall its a good deck. But beware of its incipient faults that Aurelic seem to have no interest in fixing

18. larkone

larkone

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +753
      No - waste of money as you are only using it as a digital transport, it might have an effect for analogue connections.

19. Cebolla

Cebolla

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +233
      What do you mean "out of the box it's not fit got its intended purpose"?
      Are you saying that the Aries Mini's intended purpose is to work with Windows 10 specifically, because I've never seen that mentioned anywhere?

It can't be its own controller, the Lightning DS app, as that is iOS only, ie, only intended for iPads & iPhones, so nothing to do with Windows, never mind Windows 10.

What, exactly do you mean by the Aries Mini being "not compatible with Windows 10 out of the box"?

Last edited: Mar 25, 2018