Quantcast

Auralic Altair G1 Network Streaming Preamp Review & Comments

Pmconcierge

Standard Member
That's pretty rude, and not something I would expect from a reviewer on AVF.
I personally find it distasteful for someone to go down the ‘I will speak to your boss’ route simply because Ed bristles at a provocative comment and makes a small dig BACK. The review clearly states the lack of android and maybe if it had android compatibility it would have got a 10? Ed’s review is actually one of the better ones I have read of late and the pre amp is interesting to me but then I am one of those iOS monsters! Loath my MacBook and much prefer pc so try and call me an apple fan boy!

AemiliusPius

I personally find it distasteful for someone to go down the ‘I will speak to your boss’ route simply because Ed bristles at a provocative comment and makes a small dig BACK. The review clearly states the lack of android and maybe if it had android compatibility it would have got a 10? Ed’s review is actually one of the better ones I have read of late and the pre amp is interesting to me but then I am one of those iOS monsters! Loath my MacBook and much prefer pc so try and call me an apple fan boy!
I tried to reason with him first only to receive more insults. His comment was not provocative but downright insulting. But you are right: I should not waste my time by contacting anybody. If his bosses (whoever they are) are not reading their own website and do not take to heart what is the language used on it, so much worse for the website. One can always find other websites. Whatever, I am moving on.

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
For that price I would take a look a the excellent new Lyngdorf digital amp and streamer all in one.. it has Roon, chromecast, Airplay and a lot of other suppport. And comes with microphone and Room perfect calibration. Looks like great value

But no headphone amp. I’m currently in the market for a headphone amp streamer. Short list of this Auralic, ifi Pro idsd or to go seperates. If I can find a used Auralic Taurus mk2, Vega DAC and an Aries streamer I wonder if that would perform better than this box. I suspect yes

jonasbaadsgaard

Novice Member
But no headphone amp. I’m currently in the market for a headphone amp streamer. Short list of this Auralic, ifi Pro idsd or to go seperates. If I can find a used Auralic Taurus mk2, Vega DAC and an Aries streamer I wonder if that would perform better than this box. I suspect yes
Would it be worth it to buy a small headphone amp on the side maybe ?
The Lyngdorf looks very promising I think.

Mr THX

I have to agree with Ed..... I'd not want to be stuck in a lift with you either. I wish you'd stop trying to drag this out even further than you already have! If you're offended in anyway (as we all are sometimes in life) close the page and look elsewhere, end of.

Have you not something to download from the Google store?

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
Would it be worth it to buy a small headphone amp on the side maybe ?
The Lyngdorf looks very promising I think.
I could indeed pair that Lyngdorf with the Taurus amp.I see the lyngdorf is also Roon ready which I had overlooked initially. I stand by my initial opinion that a used Auralic stack from previous generation would outperform this newest Altair release. Decisions decisions!

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
Seriously you need to grow a thicker skin, and possibly spine too. Ed simply didn't let your incorrect throwaway (basically moaning) comments go unanswered. Deal with it, instead of "Oh I'm telling your Ma"!
I can honesty say that I wouldn’t want to be stuck anywhere with someone as limp as yourself, let alone a lift.
Final warning gentleman. No more please.

jonasbaadsgaard

Novice Member
I could indeed pair that Lyngdorf with the Taurus amp.I see the lyngdorf is also Roon ready which I had overlooked initially. I stand by my initial opinion that a used Auralic stack from previous generation would outperform this newest Altair release. Decisions decisions!
Yes. I am not in any way associated with Lyngdorf, but aside the lack of headphone amp, it really looks like a very good all i one product at a pretty fair price.
Decisions oh yes !

Steven

Senior Moderator
You're potentially compromising somewhere with the all in one be it the streamer, the DAC or headphone amp. See for example matrix audio element x and people still say the Headphone amp is not as good as a standalone amp

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
You're potentially compromising somewhere with the all in one be it the streamer, the DAC or headphone amp. See for example matrix audio element x and people still say the Headphone amp is not as good as a standalone amp
True. The right amp, could potentially be a forever amp...barring some sort of propriety connector. But even that I guess that could be adapted.

aurelv

Novice Member
BubbleUPnP for DLNA/Chromecast/Smart TV on Android is compatible with Auralic Altair G1 and is very good for only 3 Euro and I use it from 2015 on Chromecast, 2016 on Heos and 2019 on Altair G1. Tidal MQA and Qobuz compatible.

Last edited:

kfscoll

Novice Member
Check out this thread over on the Auralic community forum - the CEO of Auralic (Xuanqian Wang) certainly suggests that the Altair G1 sounds better than the original Vega/Aries combo. This obviously omits the Taurus, but I bet buying those three legacy items used won’t save you anything over buying a single new Altair G1.

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
Finally read the thread. Not an depth convo by any means but you are right, as is he, technology surely has moved on a fair bit in 7 years. Similar Money to the Matrix Audio Element M.

@Ed Selley likely to be reviewing the Matrix Audio unit any time soon?

Ed Selley

AVF Reviewer
Based on the last few days, I can honestly say that upcoming reviews will in part be shaped on what is physically available to be sent to me.

kfscoll

Novice Member
Finally read the thread. Not an depth convo by any means but you are right, as is he, technology surely has moved on a fair bit in 7 years. Similar Money to the Matrix Audio Element M.

Ooof...In the USA, the Matrix Audio Element M is about $800 less than that Auralic Altair G1. Over here, pricing of the Element X is roughly equal to the Altair G1. That said, Matrix Audio must not be very popular in the US yet because I hadn't heard of them until you'd mentioned the Element M and there's only one dealer that I can find. All that said, based on specs alone, both the Element X and the Element M look to be very viable alternatives to the Altair G1.

daddy999

Great review. Damn, It looks a really nice box of “tricks” and I’ve only just managed to convince the wife I need the Lindemann Limetree Network reviewed on here a few months back, give me a break already! PS: You gotta love the Android users meltdown........😂