1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Auralex treatment

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Thunder, Jul 2, 2004.

1. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Just installed some of the above product in my AV room and thought I would give it a little review. I went on the auralex website and downloaded one of their assesment sheets and sent it off. I got back quite a comprehensive analysis of my room. However if auralex had their way my room would have ended up looking like an inside-out hedgehog! They had recommended treatment on all four walls as well as on the ceiling plus bass traps in all the corners. But as originally planned I decided to stick to treating mainly the front and back walls as these are the only two oposing hard brick walls. The problem I tend to get is a harshness in the upper frequencies with some CD's and DVD's being a bit "in your face". Bass isn't really a problem as TMREQ is a much more effective tool for attenuating the problem frequencies at source rather than creating resonances and then trying to absorb them.
    I ended up going for a DST series package that included six 4' by 2' sheets of 2" thick wedge shaped studio foam panels as this seemed to be one of the most economical ways of acheiving what I wanted. The foam can be cut how you want and its relatively easy to do. I set to work with a large sharp carving knife to cot the foam and a can of spray adhesive. The majority of the panels went on the screen wall surrounding the screen at roughly ear height (three large panels in total) I placed two smaller panels on the left and right walls adjacent to my front speakers. On the rear wall I placed another three panels. I must say that although it looks quite unusual its not too hard on the eye, I had chosen the charcoal grey colour foam as my AV room is decorated in dark colours and charcoal was the best match.
    Now for the important part, the sound. First of all I must admit that I thought it might make a subtle improvement but was skeptical that it would be a drastic change. The result was nearer to drastic end of the scale than to the subtle! :) The harshness of the sound was almost removed producing what I can only describe as a much more neutral and less forward sound. I found myself starting to work my way through a lot of my CD's that before I had considered harsh sounding and treble heavy, but was now enjoying greatly. For movies that shrillness of certain sound effects has been taken away. Also its easier to localise effects coming from a particular direction. I dont know if its my imagination but the upper and lower frequncies also seem more homoginous.
    In summary I'm very pleased and to those with dedicted rooms where SQ takes presidence over asthetics I cant recommend it enough :thumbsup:

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Auralex is just one of many manufacturers of acoustic room treatment products and anyone in the market for some should keep their eyes on the Power Buy forum where rumour has it, an interesting range of product rumoured to be not only better than Auralex but also cheaper will soon be available.