Auralex Gramma/sub dude

Blueye

Established Member
Reaction score
:hiya:
Having done a forum search on Auralex products there appeares little discussion on this room treatment device.
I currently use the Auralex great gramma under my PB13U. It works! I have a wooden floor and less energy appears to be transmitted.
Just wondering have any other forum members got any opinions on this product.
I intend to get the smaller Auralex gramma for my new arrival the SB13+ which should be with me early December.
Look forward to reading any opinions posted.
Thanks Blue

Having done a forum search on Auralex products there appeares little discussion on this room treatment device.
I currently use the Auralex great gramma under my PB13U. It works! I have a wooden floor and less energy appears to be transmitted.
Just wondering have any other forum members got any opinions on this product.
I intend to get the smaller Auralex gramma for my new arrival the SB13+ which should be with me early December.
Look forward to reading any opinions posted.
Thanks Blue

Hi Blueye, I just picked up a PB13 last week, so far I am really enjoying the sub, the bass is on a diffirent planet to anything I have experienced before, I have an Auralex gramma and I have not had a chance to put it under my sub yet, the sub is virtually to heavy for me to lift the :facepalm: the sub is actually shaking my sofa :eek: I don't think I need to add a butkicker now! it is that good:devil: I also have a wooden floor with felt pads on top off the floorboards, then laminate, then cloud 9 underlay, topped with really thick carpet, I can still feel the vibrations through the floor, I must admit I like this, not too sure about my neighbours though! what sort of improvements do you find using the Gramma with the PB, does it tighten up the bass, also have you bunged any off the ports on the sub?

I will get my son later on to help me lift the sub on it and let you know my thoughts :rolleyes:

Last edited:
G'day,
I have two PB13U's in my HT room which is pretty much the same as your setup, i.e., on great grammas over a carpeted wooden floor. Wouldn't be without them truth be told.
I also have another pair of smaller subs (not SVS), on grammas in the same room, these I have attempted to "blend" with the Ultra's using an SMS-1. At the moment the Ultra's are integrated with the rest of my setup via an SVS EQ-1 and I have been thinking along the lines of also trying to integrate the smaller subs with the EQ-1 instead of the SMS-1 which I believe you are considering doing when your new sub arrives. I look forward to your results.

Cheers.

sea surfer said:
I can still feel the vibrations through the floor, I must admit I like this, not too sure about my neighbours though! does it tighten up the bass, also have you bunged any off the ports on the sub?
I will get my son later on to help me lift the sub on it and let you know my thoughts :rolleyes:
::hiya:
So nice to read this post. It's great to have a new sub like the PB13U and get blown away with it's capabilities. After awhile though one starts to think that it dominates and you may feel that you want to integrate the sub with every thing else. Once you have it will still knock your socks off but in IMOP a different way. Hopefully that failing owning some sort of EQ device you will be able to integrate the subs performance via placement or the on-board EQ & REW. Personally I have not got the time or motivation so I use REW. I prefer the SVS AS-EQ1. I have bunged the ports TBH I prefer them tuned @ 20hze I don't have a lot of experiential time with this aspect of the sub. The Auralex does what I bought it for & that's mechanically decoupling it from the room so I hear the bass and not the all singing floor. Enjoy sea surfer.

Last edited:
G'day,
I have two PB13U's in my HT room which is pretty much the same as your setup, i.e., on great grammas over a carpeted wooden floor. Wouldn't be without them truth be told.
I also have another pair of smaller subs (not SVS), on grammas in the same room, these I have attempted to "blend" with the Ultra's using an SMS-1. At the moment the Ultra's are integrated with the rest of my setup via an SVS EQ-1 and I have been thinking along the lines of also trying to integrate the smaller subs with the EQ-1 instead of the SMS-1 which I believe you are considering doing when your new sub arrives. I look forward to your results.

Cheers.
I have no experience with the SM-1. The AS-EQ1 works for my single PB13U. It will be interesting to me at least to see the before and after graphs once the subs are EQd. Flat as a ruler I suspect. My experience so far is once the sub is EQd and running a bit hot = aural play time.:devil:
I will report back in a couple of months once I have a grip of the situation (really?!!)
Best wish's Blue

::hiya:
So nice to read this post. It's great to have a new sub like the PB13U and get blown away with it's capabilities. After awhile though one starts to think that it dominates and you may feel that you want to integrate the sub with every thing else. Once you have it will still knock your socks off but in IMOP a different way. Hopefully that failing owning some sort of EQ device you will be able to integrate the subs performance via placement or the on-board EQ & REW. Personally I have not got the time or motivation so I use REW. I prefer the SVS AS-EQ1. I have bunged the ports TBH I prefer them tuned @ 20hze I don't have a lot of experiential time with this aspect of the sub. The Auralex does what I bought it for & that's mechanically decoupling it from the room so I hear the bass and not the all singing floor. Enjoy sea surfer.

I had a go last night with the Auralex, I bunged 2 ports on my sub and dialed the sub to 10khz, I also ran Antimode, I am really pleased with the results, I lost a lot off the floor shaking :rolleyes: but the bass seemed a good bit tighter and faster, I will spin some music later on and see what happens, probably try your settings also with the 20khz with all ports bunged.

I will spin some music later on and see what happens, probably try your settings also with the 20khz with all ports bunged.[/QUOTE]

@ 20HZ all the ports should be unbunged and the appropriate settings selected on the amp plate.
Cheers Blue

I have some currently sat boxed waiting to be integrated into a new setup, grammas for the monoliths and subdudes for the speakers. They seem to get some good reviews from users over in the states (and lots of comments you can build your own for a fraction of the price).

Mainly bought mine to help keep sound in the room by completely decoupling everything from the floor, with sound improvements being secondary. Would also appreciate any comments if anyone has found improvements in this area.

I don't expect them to do anything to the really low end stuff, but if they reduce secondary resonances higher up the frequency range they should clean the bass range up a bit.

grammas for the monoliths

Does a Monolith DF fit on a gramma? I have held off ordering since I thought I might need a Great Gramma, though that seems huge.

Will need to measure the spike-spike distance I guess, and hope they come in less than 15" on the shorter length.

The Great Grammer fits the SVS PB13U like a glove (GUILTY);)
The Monolith would be to small and look miss placed. Auralex Sub Dude or at a push The Grammer should be OK. Do the measurements.
Blue

Hi

Have you tried your gramma yet if so how has it done for keeping sound in the room please.

I have the SVS PC12 ultra 16 inch diam which platform would you rate please.

Thanks

I have some currently sat boxed waiting to be integrated into a new setup, grammas for the monoliths and subdudes for the speakers. They seem to get some good reviews from users over in the states (and lots of comments you can build your own for a fraction of the price).

Mainly bought mine to help keep sound in the room by completely decoupling everything from the floor, with sound improvements being secondary. Would also appreciate any comments if anyone has found improvements in this area.

I don't expect them to do anything to the really low end stuff, but if they reduce secondary resonances higher up the frequency range they should clean the bass range up a bit.

Gramma/sub-dude on a suspended floor = priceless.
Gramma/sub-dude on a solid floor but with rattling skirting boards = priceless
Gramma/sub-dude on a solid floor, in a solid room = waste of money.

Just based on my experience :)

Gramma/sub-dude on a suspended floor = priceless.
Gramma/sub-dude on a solid floor but with rattling skirting boards = priceless
Gramma/sub-dude on a solid floor, in a solid room = waste of money.

Just based on my experience :)

Have to agree as that's what I found and it's why my sub no longer needs to be sat on a couple of Grammas.

Thanks Guys

So if like me the room rattles i may well have a winner. But my main issue is with sound of bass next door any opinion on that please.

Cheers

Have to agree as that's what I found and it's why my sub no longer needs to be sat on a couple of Grammas.

What do you mean by "sound of bass next door"? You can hear the neighbours, you they can hear you? and what can they actually hear?

They can hear me. It's not volume but bass, they are young and clued up enough to know it is the sub. It is not a big issue but i would prefer to clean up the sound if i can.

Thanks

Thanks Guys

So if like me the room rattles i may well have a winner. But my main issue is with sound of bass next door any opinion on that please.

Cheers

Not really sure if it will help if next door is hearing your bass. Sub bass can travel through quite a few things and go quite a way. Repositioning your sub might help in that respect. If I move mine then the bass level throughout the house changes volume and position.

The gramma is for floor isolation, but you have a soundproofing issue...

Thanks again

This is where i get very confussed, this is what i think i knew lol

The sub produces bass and downfires onto my floor.. Concrete and laminate.
The sound is "bounced about the room" and this is what is making doors rattle.
Concrete i thought lets bass pass through hence isolate. I am alos thinking of using green glue and extra layer of board on party wall at same time ensure boards are tight and sound.

I was also thinking maybe add some bass traps in the corners of the room.

Is this about right?

Cheers

The gramma is for floor isolation, but you have a soundproofing issue...

Hi

Have you tried your gramma yet if so how has it done for keeping sound in the room please.

Thanks

Still not got around to trying them out yet, all my kit is currently in boxes :( We've recently moved into a new house which needs complete renovation and other rooms are taking priority at the moment.

If your floor is concrete I don't think you will get much benefit from these platforms. Their main function is to stop secondary resonances on the surfaces they're placed on, such as wooden stages or floorboards. These are much more prone to sub induced vibrations than concrete, which is pretty inert stuff.

They can also be used the other way around, you can decouple your amp or other sensitive equipment from vibrations in the room by putting them on these platforms.

Bass traps are mainly for improving the response within the room, they do very little for soundproofing.

Could you reposition your sub to be a greater distance away from the party wall? It's very difficult (expensive) to properly soundproof against low frequencies.

Hi

Thank you for the reply I bet you are really ready to set up your system.

I have had a friend helping a little today and i have established the Sub almost bounces when played a little louder it must weigh about a hundred pounds and the air flow from it would act as a decent hair dryer. I did order the Gramma and i guess it will be interesting to see hear if i get any change.

When you Google Gramma and concrete some swear by them others notice no difference i guess its wait and see should have it on Friday.

I don't intend to try sound proof the room just tone it down more if i can, in tron legacy the bass gets muddy so ether way i need to do something. It may be the SVS sub is just a bit big for the room though they have less issue with this than the Kef i had it seems or this is what i was told today

Many thanks

Does a Monolith DF fit on a gramma?

Will need to measure the spike-spike distance I guess, and hope they come in less than 15" on the shorter length.

it does but only just, the feet are over base around 1-2mm but all still looks level and not out of place,not using spikes as well as there is no need to :)
The gramma works very well indeed but i do have a wood suspended floor.

namuk said:
it does but only just, the feet are over base around 1-2mm but all still looks level and not out of place,not using spikes as well as there is no need to :)
The gramma works very well indeed but i do have a wood suspended floor.

Thank you VERY much for that, I've been trying to find the answer to this for a while!

Well the platform is here and i am pleased to say it has totally stopped my rattle of doors etc and the bass is much better sounding.

I have been in next door with tron legacy running loud (the bit in the night club), louder than i would ever listen 75 on the onkyo volume scale my standard 60 - 65.

It is amazing being honest the sound of music etc is totally not there so total silence untill ..... the sub pulls down then a thump thump sound. The platform has stopped the things that rattles next door as well.

So i have made good progress re rattle and sound in my home but i could do with trying some other ideas to tame the sound of deep bass next door.

My ideas are bass traps and green glue extra board on the wall, can anyone offer any other ideas please.

All help offered so far many thanks hope someone has s few good ideas for step 2

Cheers

Hi

Thank you for the reply I bet you are really ready to set up your system.

I have had a friend helping a little today and i have established the Sub almost bounces when played a little louder it must weigh about a hundred pounds and the air flow from it would act as a decent hair dryer. I did order the Gramma and i guess it will be interesting to see hear if i get any change.

When you Google Gramma and concrete some swear by them others notice no difference i guess its wait and see should have it on Friday.

I don't intend to try sound proof the room just tone it down more if i can, in tron legacy the bass gets muddy so ether way i need to do something. It may be the SVS sub is just a bit big for the room though they have less issue with this than the Kef i had it seems or this is what i was told today

Many thanks

I ordered a Gramma today as well, even before the Mono gets here. I'm fairly sure I'll have to use it (renting at the moment, but I'm guessing the floor is suspended wood) so I thought I might as well get it in time.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom