Auna 5.1 Surround Sound to PS3 & TV?

Enkeixpress

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am going to be buying this Auna 5.1 Home Cinema System very soon..

And I'd like to know if I'll be able to connect my Xbox 360 Elite, PS3 & my LGLC56 HDTV to it all at the same time?

Could you tell me how I'd be able to do this..?

If not, It's fine & I don't mind switching cables everytime I want to get sound from one of 'em..

I've got the console gaming adapter for the X360 & I've currently got the X360 console connected through that to a 5.1 PC speaker system through RCA red/white cables so it should be no problem for that console & PS3 doesn't need anything apart from those RCA red/white cables, right? so that's no problem.. same goes for the TV aswell, right? :confused:

Last edited:
I don't see an analogue audio output on your TV from that link. Basically you're looking for a red/white RCA output with a circle and an arrow pointing outwards. The only audio output mentioned is a digital audio (optical) output, which your proposed pseudo surround sound unit lacks. Therefore the only option I can think of if the TV doesn't have analogue audio out, is to hope that the SCART connections are bi-directional indicated by arrows pointing both inwards and outwards. Then connect a switchable SCART adapter to a red/white phono cable and hopefully it should pass audio from whatever is showing on the TV. Obviously it would need to be set to 'OUT'.

The only alternative would be to connect and disconnect your source each time but I wouldn't advise this and would go down the route above.

Better yet, Is there a way to get the connected to my speakers to my HDTV & have any sound from the HDTV come out of the 5.1 speakers?? :thumbsup:

No, as the speakers require amplification, which is built into the bass unit.

Alright, well I will definately be able to connect the Xbox 360 Elite & PS3 & get sound coming out to the 5.1 surround sound, right? :confused:

With HDMI cable on the TV running @ 1080p, aswell?

So basically.. I Have display running through the TV but sound coming out from the 5.1 speakers.. but I will have to keep switching the red/white cables whenever I want to use the 360 or ps3.. correct? :)

Last edited:
Please bear in mind it will not be 5.1, it will be 2.0 stereo. I can't even see any codec or audio formats mentioned on that link. The reason I have suggested running the audio through the TV is that you will only be able to output stereo from both the Xbox360 or PS3 using analogue red/white connections. Therefore, you might as well leave them connected to the TV via HDMI for both audio and video and run the audio from the TV as a permanent hook up rather than connect/disconnect. I have no idea of the capabilities of the unit you linked to but the output from the TV will be 2.0 stereo, which AV amps and receivers can usually mix (matrix) to give you a pseudo effect e.g. Dolby Pro Logic II or DTS: Neo 6. However, as I mentioned earlier, I cannot see any mention of any pseudo surround sound capability, so I suspect to use it as a 5.1 setup, you would need a bluray player or DVD player with built-in decoding and 5.1 analogue audio output. The PS3 and Xbox 360 do not have these.

Therefore, I do not particularly think it is suitable for you.

touch I bargepole it a wouldn't with ;)

You need something with optical input in order to get true discrete 5.1 audio i.e. Dolby Digital or DTS.

I will be able to get sound out of all the speakers though using the two red/white cable though, I'm sure.

I have a friend who has his ps3 connected to his speaker system via the red/white cable slots using the ps3 AV multi cable & he gets sound coming from all the speakers..

That's all I want. Just clear sound from all the speakers :D

Last edited:
The system your friend has, probably has audio decoders and a processor onboard. If you can find out what system your mate has, I will show you what I mean. If you read my post above you will have read the links to the pseudo effects that are achievable from a stereo source, providing the audio device has the necessary decoding/processing.

The Auna system you are intending on buying is a dumb system, it has no decoding and basically takes analogue sources such as a CD player, ipod, sat/cable box that outputs stereo via a phono cable (2.0) or a DVD player or Bluray player with built in decoding and 5.1 multi-channel analogues. Effectively it's a 6 channel amplifier. It needs the decoding to be done externally and as I said, the Xbox 360 and PS3 do not have multi-channel analogue outputs. The PS3 can decode audio, the Xbox360 can't.

To get 5.1 from that system you would need a player with these:

Analogue_big.jpg

I use this setup with my HDDVD player (see sig) to my non HDMI AV Receiver.

K well.. That Auna 5.1 surround system I want to buy comes with these:

1970_plugs_01.jpg

That's a picture of the back of the control panel/subwoofer. :smashin:

Is that good enough.. to be able to plug the Xbox360 & PS3 in for audio.. one at a time?

Like, I should be able to plug either PS3's AV multi cable or Xbox360's RCA (Red/White) cable included with console gaming adapter directly into that Aux/2ch sockets & sound should come out, right?

Last edited:
I had already checked that pic.

If you connect up the PS3 or Xbox 360 to the stereo inputs on the left, all you will get is audio from the front left and right speakers as that is all that is input. If you want 5.1 you have to use all of the inputs and that is only possible with a device that has 6 multi-channel analogue outputs as per the pic in my last post.

Ah k.. Well on this pic, You can see it has 6 red/white outputs for 5.1ch.. surely, I could use them?

Jeez, yes it has 5.1 inputs but you don't have anything with 5.1 outputs!! You have two games consoles both of which can output discrete multi-channel audio i.e. surround sound from either optical or HDMI. They can also output 2.0 stereo via left/right phono output, therefore if you connect the red/white connections to the stereo inputs, you will only get stereo sound from the front left and right speakers. How do you propose to connect anything to the rear left, rear right, centre and subwoofer inputs on that Auna system if you don't have the necessary outputs. Come on, think about it!!

Right, So I'll need to buy a 5.1 surround sound system which has a optical cable slot. right? :rolleyes:

Ah god, Where would I be able to find one of those? :lease:

I remember someone asking for a cheap system a week or so back.

Both of these have one optical input. Now, obviously you will need to share this single optical input, therefore you will need a 3 way manual optical cable and 3 x optical cables. Don't think about disconnecting and connecting up optical as it is a fragile connector. Audiovisualonline sell the switches. Don't be tempted to get some cheap and cheerful switch from ebay as these have been known to fail. Buy once from a reputable supplier and keep the optical cables as short as possible.

Philips HTS3269 Product Information - PriceRunner United Kingdom

Samsung HT-Z320R/XEU 5.1CH HOME CINEMA SYSTEM - BLACK review cheap prices HT-Z320R/XEU 5.1CH HOME CINEMA SYSTEM - BLACK Samsung best buy discount online uk shop

I have no idea if they're any good or not but at that price, you can't expect much.

Your best bet is to buy separates. This would also enable you to get HD lossless audio (DTS HD MA and Dolby True HD) from blurays played on your PS3. This obviously costs more. Separates can be bought for around £300 for a non HD audio capable system. Around £450 would buy an HD audio capable setup.

One more question.. I am currently using Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers with my Xbox 360 & PS3.. & The speakers came with a console gaming adapter that I can use with both the PS3's multi-av cable & Xbox 360's audio adapter, Here it is:

21uswx0eHJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

& it works excellent with X360, with sound coming out from all 5 speakers including the subwoofer...

But when using with the PS3 with it's multi-av cable, It works & I can hear audio fine from all 5 speakers but there is distortion coming out from the front-right & rear-right speakers.. Why is that?

If I try it with these new Auna Home Cinema 5.1 Speakers, Will I get the same result? :confused:

What is on the end of the gaming adaptor cable? Are they 3.5mm to RCA phono cables. If they are and they split into 6, then yes you can use them but please can I just say one more thing. This is not surround sound, this is purely a stereo signal split into 6. It will sound utter crap. If you want surround sound from games e.g. to be able to hear footsteps behind you or helicopter sounds panning from left to right across the screen etc. then you need discrete audio and that can only be achieved using a digital connection.

As for the distortion issue, I have no idea but ultimately you are feeding a low quality signal through a converter and then on to low quality amplification and speakers. If you want good quality sound, it is going to cost more than you appear to be willing to spend. TBH, I would not waste your money on that Auna setup but it's your cash. I think your definition of excellent differs from mine. Yes, it might work but it won't sound "excellent".

Ok, thanks for the help..

I found out that it's the PS3 I bought recently that's causing the distortion problem so I'm planning on getting that returned & refunded.. hopefully & get a replacement on it.

Thanks so much for the help though, I appreciate the time you've taken to help me out here :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom