August Photo Competition - Launch & Discussion

Well, its my birthday month, so maybe i will get something decent :)

Its been a long time since i posted a shot in the photo comp,i used to look forward to them a few years ago ...However as i have always enjoyed taking shots of birds in flight ,it was a good excuse tonight to try for some little owl shots..this is a shot just before sunset of a juvenile in flight ,main focus on the eye with enough wing blur and wing angle to say flight ,IMHO no doubt i will get plenty more as the weeks go on but i dont want to get to obsessed with looking for just flight shots a family holiday and a few other intrests will take care of that ...
Juvenile in flight (1 of 1) by dennis greenwood, on Flickr
Superb. I'm still failing in my quest to even see one of these :facepalm:

Not sure i'll have anything to enter this month, been trying for birds, I have no idea how the focusing system on my camera works, I only ever use manual focus, using AI servo it focuses on just about everything in the frame except what I want it too. How the hell people are able to get pin sharp focus on a birds eye in flight at 500mm I don't know.

LOL - just use the center AF point for your Focus or setup a small group of the AF sensors in that area to be the ones to focus - then the "easy bit" - following the bird and keeping that eye in the centre of frame :D

LOL - just use the center AF point for your Focus or setup a small group of the AF sensors in that area to be the ones to focus - then the "easy bit" - following the bird and keeping that eye in the centre of frame :D
I'm lucky if I can even see the bird in the viewfinder.

So far it's mostly been

See a bird with naked eye.
Point camera.
Can't see bird.
Lower camera.
Bird is gone.

The 5d3 supposedly has a great focusing system, mine is clearly broken :)

Superglue on the feeders works well :devil:

Are we accepting shoe horned entries... as in not technically flying but interpretations?

I have an idea, but know most might shoot it down :rotfl:

Are we accepting shoe horned entries... as in not technically flying but interpretations?

...it's entirely up to you as to how you interpret any of the chosen Themes :thumbsup:

Neee Naaaa Neee Naaa - it's the Theme Police...
It's up to you to interpret the theme and up to us to judge it as invalid :rotfl:

Either way it's better than the non idea I've got ;)

Will the competition still be open on the evening of 27th? If not, then I can't see myself getting an entry in...

Closing date 29th August at 6'ish :)

Get the keys to new house on friday so if I don't get anything in next few days I probably wont.
Weather not looking good either

Get the keys to new house on friday so if I don't get anything in next few days I probably wont.
Weather not looking good either

Good luck with the move :)

Thanks, you all :) I got sent home yesterday. My consultant said it's safer to be at home than at the hospital, so I'm now on bucket loads of antibiotics per mouth, but I get to sleep in my own bed. Hallelujah!!! It was a nightmare week. Managed to get a very bad infection going in my stomach by waiting too long to see my GP... Yes, I know, should have just gone when I first realised that the pain is too hard to just be any kind of normal stomach pain, but I tend to have a very high pain threshold and here we see it's not always a good thing. Anyway, enough about that, I've learned my lesson, next time I'll go early! :cool:

@shotokan101 LOL, I did get some good stuff for the pains, but unfortunately it didn't make me fly! The near 40C fever did though, that was kind of trippy! But still, not suitable viewing for the interwebs :)
Sorry that hear you've been unwell hope you are fully on the mend now! I've been away on hols and only just seen.

I'm lucky if I can even see the bird in the viewfinder.

So far it's mostly been

See a bird with naked eye.
Point camera.
Can't see bird.
Lower camera.
Bird is gone.

The 5d3 supposedly has a great focusing system, mine is clearly broken :)

It's taken me lots of practice to get half decent. It's much easier with a zoom than a prime as you can start wider and close in as you track. If possible being able to look around with the eye not behind the viewfinder can help. Currently struggling getting a kingfisher in flight and sharp....got quite a few airplanes while on holiday, these really big birds are so much easier to track!

Dear Theme Police - what do you think about athletes flying through the air doing pole vaulting? Meets the flying theme?
Your faithfully,
Regular Theme Offender ;)

Dear Theme Police - what do you think about athletes flying through the air doing pole vaulting? Meets the flying theme?
Your faithfully,
Regular Theme Offender ;)
Anything like this works for me, can't speak for anyone else though ;)

Anything like this works for me, can't speak for anyone else though ;)

Thanks Toby, I'm looking through about 1000 pics from a competition yesterday maybe there's a good one in there :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom