August 2007 Winner - Out of Place

Tobers

Here's mine for this month. I've had a lot of fun with this theme, and eventually settled on this shot:

Click the pic for the EXIF, and here it is anyway:

22/8/07 21:11:57
Canon 30D
Sigma 10-20 @ 10mm (getting it's first major outing - fun lens!!)
0.3sec
f4.0
ISO 100
RAW

Post processing as follows: Import RAW into Lightroom, export to Photoshop as a TIFF, levels, desaturate with layer mask, bit of burning, some gradients, add border, export as 12 quality jpeg.

The shot is my daughter ironing in a Guildford multi-storey car park. Firstly she never ever irons, so that is out of place from the start, and secondly the location is obviously a bit wierd as well. Had a ball with the composition, and tried many different angles. I particularly like the little arrow pointing at the iron which I [-]didn't realise I'd got until I looked at the pic on my PC[/-] totally planned into the composition from the start.

I also had worked with twin wireless flashes (thanks Gordon) but couldn't quite get the effect I was after, losing too much background detail placing the car park situation in context. I'll put one of those up on the not valid thread.

Anyone who asked was told we were shooting a feature on teenage life in Britain for an American teen magazine :D

Tobers

macker2006

haha, excellent mate, how on earth did you talk her into doing that ? !!

Her expression matches the dreariness that you've portrayed the car park in too :D:thumbsup:

V

vulkan75

The arrow makes the whoe image for me.Great use of it as a prop:thumbsup:

You are a crazy man Tobers you know that Right!:eek:and must have had to part with some Queens heads to get your daughter to do that;).I have thought about doing something absurd in a public place for this comp too..I dont know if I got the bottle though

well done makes me laugh

scharf_10

Yeah that's a great entry, I enjoy using that lens as well.

One quick question though - What do you do to make it have that kind of gradual darkness around the edges of the photo?

Thanks, Scharf.

Tobers

Thanks!

It's partially the lighting in the car park and how the shot is exposed, then assisted by use of the gradient tool in Photoshop (or equivalent). In this case I used a number of 10% gradients in the corners and edges.

My daughter was actually really keen to do this but soon found out that its nto as glamourous as she thought. Hanging about whilst the photog sets up flashes, tripods etc is pretty dull. Anyway, she got a fiver for he shoe fund :smashin: - her first professional modelling assignment.

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
I really, really like this. You shouldn't have told us the arrow was happy -incidence as I agree it makes the shot very special.

Funnily enough I saw it and thought, "he didn't use my flash to light that". My compo entry I took in Belfast now looks like it wont be seeing the light of day...

Gordon

Tobers

Ta Gordon. Much appreciated.

The little arrow was a coincidence, but I find I get more coincidences the more careful I am with my composition these days :smashin:. I did have quite a few other shots where I had been playing about with the little arrows & no-entry signs so I'll claim photographer's creative licence and happily accept credit for its positioning on this pic :D

bodoman

Distinguished Member
Like your style, very imPRESSive photo, i know the arrows seem to make the picture, but cant help wondering if it would have better without them as i seem to notice them more than the ironing, just a thought.

hearty congratulations for going out and putting the effort and thought into this with just the comp in mind:smashin:

D

Deleted member 152499

Thats an absolute cracker Tobers, and unless I see anything else that really imPRESSes me I think you'll be getting my vote come the end of the month. I love the big arrow in the foreground, and didn't notice the small arrow until I read it was there....it works really well with the big arrow, superbly done Tobers!!

cedmondson

The best entry I've seen this month (so far) by quite a margin. The use of the arrows in the composition is brilliant and the vignetting + desaturation helps to guide the eye too. First class :thumbsup:
However, in terms of ironing "out of place" you & Miss Tobers have a little way to go to beat these guys (check out the gallery pages) :eek:

jonnypb

love the picture, right on theme and very original. like how the arrow is point intowards the ironing board. as always you always give 10/10 for imagination and effort for the photo comp. Has to be one of the front runners :thumbsup:

you should get the pic added onto here

Tobers

However, in terms of ironing "out of place" you & Miss Tobers have a little way to go to beat these guys (check out the gallery pages) :eek:

LOL!! I actually had Extreme Ironing in mind, and a couple of possible locations, but was concerned for my darling daughter's safety.

A couple of other ideas I had which anyone is free to implement:

- A surfer with surfboard standing on London Bridge during rush hour. I was about 30 mins away from actually doing this one. Slowish shutter speed to blur the padestrians as they flowed around the dude in shorts & board would have been excellent.
- A guy in a suit, bowler hat, umbrella and briefcase emerging James Bond stylee from the sea onto a packed beach. I couldn't get Gordon to volunteer for this despite offering a lovely £20 Asda suit, and we've been lacking the weather to get lots of people onto the beach.

:D

Tobers

D

Deleted member 152499

The 'Surfer Dude' one would have been a very good idea as well...I can 'see' the picture in my mind now....just a pity I entered the 'Blurred Outdoor Table Set' about two weeks ago :suicide:

Liquid101

Distinguished Member
You know - I had exactly the same idea. However, There isn't a multi storey within 100 miles of here, and my daughter is only 6 weeks old.

This will be up there for sure - how am I going to beat this?! :rolleyes:

Gizmo 76

Superb idea, shot and processing tobers :thumbsup:

The planned composition of using the arrow has worked so well, really liking this one...

Puli

Thats one good shot, :smashin: How did you get the idea from???

Think its going be hard to beat!!

Well done

Paul

tryingtimes

Only just noticed this one for some strange reason.
Now this is exactly the kind of shot I like looking at and taking. My idea never came off unfortunately due to lack of time, but barring some late entrant, this is where my vote's going.
Spot on.

SweetGirl

Can't believe you gave your daughter only £5 for posing for this entry........surely it was worth more than that....:D

I think i need to talk to her about modelling rates. :rotfl:

Comming back to the photo.....i like the idea and they way you have composed and executed your idea .......very original.

Will definetly get a vote or two :rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Samsung rumoured to be buying OLED TV panels from LG Display
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix signs with Sony for first streaming rights in U.S.
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio Pro launches C10 MkII speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
THX launches Onyx MQA supporting DAC/Amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cambridge Audio introduces Evo all-in-one audio system
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts