"Auf Wiedersehen, Pet" on ITV4

GaryB

Distinguished Member
Just noticed that ITV4 are showing Auf Wiedersehen, Pet from the first episode from 27th January. IMO one of the very best drama series ever made. Definitely one for the Series Link.

tichtich

I've never seen it before (really!) but I'll give it a try this time. It's got some good actors who went on to become famous. Were any of them well-known at the time it started?

brian s

Distinguished Member
I watched because it was partly written by Dick Clement and Ian La Frenais, who also wrote The Likely Lads, Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads? and Porridge. It was a largely unknown cast as regards to TV acting. I think Tim Healey and Timothy Spall had been in quite a few things but they certainly weren't household names. Pat Roach had been a wrestler and Gary Holton was the lead singer in The Heavy Metal Kids.

It was a huge hit in it's day and is still great in my books. I hope you enjoy it.

All the best
Bri

deantown

Distinguished Member
i actually worked in germany in the late 70,s . believe me the writers got this programme spot on . there were 5 of us out there and we had a great time just like the lads in the programme

GaryB

Distinguished Member
Just in case anyone missed this excellent programme and wants to see them, they are repeating them all again starting tomorrow. They are showing 2 episodes each Tuesday, at 9:00PM & 10:05PM.

Uridium

Distinguished Member
Ace. I watched the first series as a kid but missed the later ones.

Always seeing odd episodes on some sky channel or another so would be good to catch them all in order.

reevesy

Distinguished Member
Ahh remember watching these back in the day....my dad actually went out there during that building boom...had to do a bit of a Nevil ...there wasn't any work available as a decorator..so a couple of brickies he became friendly with took him under their wings and blagged him through.

I ended up in Germany years later....took him up on his top tip of taking loads of 10p pieces as they were the same size and weight of a 1 mark bit...which was 30p at the time...

Worked in phone boxes etc

brian s

Distinguished Member
I ended up in Germany years later....took him up on his top tip of taking loads of 10p pieces as they were the same size and weight of a 1 mark bit...which was 30p at the time...

Worked in phone boxes etc

Cor I didn't know that. I went over many times when the mark was around.

Bri

deantown

Distinguished Member
The 10p pieces worked in the telephones, cigarette machines and beer machines. I'm pretty sure it was 4 marks to the £ when l was there. We had a great time out there. The TV show was exactly like our experiences that l could have written the scripts.
To this day l still have a bag with 10p coins in it hidden on a site where we were building a new Wine cellar.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom