1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Auf der Maur/Perfect circle

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by Shoka, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Went last night to see Perfect Circle at Hammersmith appolo, and they kicked ass. Totally amazing set, played a nice mix of old and new stuff, top gig.

My biggest surprise was to see Melisaa auf der Maur's band supporting them, I havent heard much of there stuff but there set rocked, so much so, that i brought tickets to see them this month on the 16th.

Anyone into either bands? Or did anyone else go last night, have any opinions?

For any hardcore tool fans (me included) go see perfect circle, they gel together so well as a band, and Maynards voice just hits me every time, im sure any tool fan would agree. I just need to see Tool live now, I havent been lucky enough yet.

2. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Off to see them this Sunday at Nottingham, hope its as good as you say.

3. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was gonna go cath them in Manchester this saturday (thanks K for the heads up) but it's my mates birthday and he doesn't appreciate the harder things in life

4. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    Mate I might be going again on sat in Manchester now, just going to book tickets.
    Gambit send that PM again, ive emptied my box

5. neilo

neilo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    is waiting for delivery of Auf Der Maur CD ..really like the single

6. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    its been put back, coming out in march now.

Im going to see them at islington appolo on ther 16th.

7. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Argh, dammit - that was so tempting. If I weren't totally strapped after a recent ticket buying frenzy I'd be there (just 20 mins from me). A couple of mates went to the Hammersmith gig and echoed Shoka's comments completely. Awesome stuff.

MuFu.

8. neilo

neilo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I got it from play yesterday mate not heard it yet though

9. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    Incredible gig, more later, but anyone wondering if its worth getting a ticket, it is and then some. Dont hesitate and dont miss them.

10. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    After a 2 hour trip back from Nottingham, Ive now got the energy to write.

This was a very packed out gig, it took about 25 minutes to get out (wondered a bit about the fire safety:eek:).

The support band " Auf der Maur " took the stage, but never really took control (it must be difficult to project an image, when your unknown ). They were OK, but I couldnt help feeling they were unsure if they wanted to be an artrock band like the YYYs or a straight rock band. The drummer was from the hard hitting school of rock and IMO just did'nt gel in the more arty bits, could have done with a jazz style drummer and a more stripped sound.
    Always sounded like they were about to undo the musical leash and get busy with screaming distorted guitars etc, but they never did.

However, A Perfect Circle were another proposition, never a boring moment in the entire set, even songs which I had never heard before had me galvanised. Maynard was even funny, making various band members do solo songs like a form of torture:laugh:

There is definitely a Nod to Killing Joke in the set, even the guitar sound was faintly reminicent of Geordie Walkers and 'Pet' must be a nod in the direction of KJ / Metallica 'Enter the Sandman' and even a dancy 'The Music' feel to other tracks.
    'The Nurse who Loved me' had an altered sound, that turned it into a more creepy almost grungy affair which was brilliant.

The sound was spot on and the vocals were perfect, you could hear most of the Lyrics, even to songs thet you didnt know.
    I have to say that the album never really captured me, but the live set has changed all that. Got the feeling I was listening to some real 'classics' which might be around for a long time.

As Maynard said 'they were too lazy to do an encore, so he announced they would just forgo going off stage, pretend they had and do another three songs, then pretend they were going off again and do one last number, funny as f--k

It was over as soon as it started, its now my wifes favourite group.....'when are we going again.....I shall do sexual favours etc etc' we argued over possesion of the CD, she won , of course:devil:

11. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239

They done that in hammersmith as well.

Maynard kept getting, James Iha to tell jokes as well, his reason for doing this was in his own words "to prove that americans really arent funny"

Just found out as well Maynard is working on another Tool album at the moment so fingers crossed on an album tour soon.

Thanks, Ive been trying to order it from a distributor, as I work for a wholesaler, and they arent getting it till march, play here I come:smashin:

12. Gambit

Gambit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Shoka makes Gambit's day once again :smashin:

Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaantastic news

13. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +239
    He did the sound track to the film underworld as well with his ban Puscifer, all in the latest Kerrang mate (with the darkness on the cover), a whole article about him.