Question Audyssey XT32 with Sub EQ HT on Denon - using "stereo"

D

Deleted member 876780

So, I understand how these Audyssey systems adjust both the speakers and the subwoofers. What I don't understand is what do they do when the amp is changed into "Stereo". So, Audyssey is still switched on. Does it take the front speakers (left and right) crossover then only send the rest of the information to the subwoofers? I suppose the question is how does it integrate the main speakers and subwoofers when it is set in "stereo", i.e. there is no LFE .1 channel.
I'm sure with older Yamahas, for example, where (of course) there was no EQ such as my DSPA590 decades ago it created a boosted bass almost false LFE channel so never sounded right in stereo and had to be used in direct.

D

Deleted member 876780

2. Then, even more confused, what does Audyssey do if the fronts are set to LARGE?

gibbsy

In the stereo mode you will still have the set crossovers in action and any frequencies below that crossover will be sent to the sub. If you set the speakers to large then those frequencies may not be sent to the sub as the internal speaker crossover will be used. If you use Direct with a stereo signal then those front speakers are treated as large, bass management is not used and no signals sent to the sub.

If you are using the Q900s as fronts then the crossovers will, or should be, set to 80hz. They will certainly dig pretty deep if set to large and I doubt the sub will come to life on a stereo track unless it's full of very deep notes. If it's music we are talking about then I would run the fronts in Pure Direct. I have R300s and they go deep enough for me although my Denon is never used in stereo mode. for music.

The other option is LFE+Main which will use both sub and fronts as large. That could lead to boomy bass and if best avoided.

D

Deleted member 876780

Thanks Gibbsy, so do you know what the amp will actually do if the fronts are set to large and in "stereo" mode? Does Audyssey still integrate the subs with the mains, i.e. knows where the mains roll off?

Dolus

Changing the mains from small to large or multi channel to stereo does not make any changes in Audyssey.

D

Deleted member 876780

Changing the mains from small to large or multi channel to stereo does not make any changes in Audyssey.

Really? My understanding was that, for example, if you change the crossover frequency for the mains then Audyssey will raise the frequency of the signal sent to the subs and roll off the mains below that frequency setting? So, when set to large, does it just not send anything to the subs or does it integrate them with the natural roll off of the mains (as it knows that from the setup process)?

gibbsy

Thanks Gibbsy, so do you know what the amp will actually do if the fronts are set to large and in "stereo" mode? Does Audyssey still integrate the subs with the mains, i.e. knows where the mains roll off?
All that the manual mentions is

If “Speaker Config.” - “Front” and “Center” are set to “Large”, and “Subwoofer Mode” is set to “LFE”, no sound may be output from the subwoofers, depending on the input signal or selected sound mode. link

With large that means that the frequencies of the recording along with the internal crossover of the speaker comes into play. With KEF Q900s you may very well get little information being sent to the sub. Audyssey is still in action with fronts set to large as it is with multi channel stereo. It's only Direct or Pure Direct that will by-pass the bass management of Audyssey.

D

Deleted member 876780

Thank you, I'm gonna have a play round with some music and see in LARGE if I prefer it then for stereo. The Q900 on paper say -28Hz I think at -3dB, Audyssey measures them rolling off around high forties in our lounge though (due to position, acoustics etc etc) and my ears (with a sliding test tone) say they do at about 50Hz (but that is my ears an nervous system too haha).
So, using a sub does make quite a difference with them.
Amazingly, the corner positions of the Q300 surrounds, and them being ontop of a spiked sub as well they go much deeper in a small cabinet, with only one smaller driver ;o)

Conrad

I think you think Audyssey on/off does something it doesn't.

Audyssey is a room EQ system and has (almost) nothing to do with Crossovers and speaker sizes.

It measures your speakers and determines their in room frequency range capability. From that it makes a decision about whether those speakers are Large (receive a full range signal with no part of the signal redirected to the subwoofers) or Small (receive the upper part of the signal with the signal below the crossover redirected to a sub). And, where they're small, it suggests an appropriate point in the response to start redirecting that signal - the crossover. It also measures and sets the time alignment.

Turning Audyssey on and off changes nothing about that set-up. AVRs and Processors without Audyssey or any Auto EQ will either do the same thing and stop there, or will allow you to set those parameters manually. Think of this more as Room Set-Up.

Further, Audyssey measures the response of the speakers and does its best to try and shape that response to its selected target curve. This is the EQ bit and this is what's turned on and off when you turn Audyssey on and off. Turning Audyssy off still redirects the bass at the given crossover for a given speaker.

And as above, the rules are:

Stereo/Multichannel (not direct) & Large - The full range from the main channel is sent to the appropriate main speaker (no sub involved)
Stereo/Multichannel (not direct) & Small - The signal is crossed over and the range above the crossover is sent to the main speaker and the range below the crossover is sent to the sub
Direct - crossover settings are ignored and the full range signal is sent to the sub

An LFE/.1 signal, if present, will usually always be sent to the sub. This can be hardware and software dependent. Some players (Oppo, for example) will redirect the LFE to the mains if there's no sub present. Others will discard it. If you set LFE+Main for your mains and have no sub my guess would be that the LFE is blended with the L/R main and sent there.

I think that some AVRs and Processors will disable EQ when moving into Pure mode, but I'm not entirely sure.

rccarguy2

As best as I understand it, use stereo mode for 2ch if you want to use bass management, sub and room correction.

Pure direct to set mains to large, no bass management, no room correction

Not sure what direct is.

The latest video from AVForums

LG C1 OLED TV Best Picture Settings for SDR, HDR and Dolby Vision
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom