Audyssey to EQ subwoofer only

Darkmatter21

Just wondered if anyone had tried this, I was tempted to try and disconnect all my speakers and connect just the subwoofer and run a full 8 point audyssey EQ just on the subwoofer and leave the mains untouched. I was not sure if Audssey might fail if no speakers are attached to the amp.

Hillskill

Moderator/Games Reviewer
Can't you skip speakers rather then disconnect them?

Darkmatter21

As far as i am aware, The setup system ignores pretty much everything you input prior to the setup procedure so even if i set the speakers to "none" it ignores it. If there is any other ways to make audyssey ignore stuff that would be the ideal solution!

scottthehat

Distinguished Member
I couldn't get it to work it just errord everytime.

Darkmatter21

I thought that might be the case just to give an error of "no speakers connected" or something to that extent..... i wonder what the minimum connected speakers are, maybe i could just connect my center and it would just EQ that and the sub....

Ashmanuk

Darkmatter21 said:
I thought that might be the case just to give an error of "no speakers connected" or something to that extent..... i wonder what the minimum connected speakers are, maybe i could just connect my center and it would just EQ that and the sub....
Front left and right I believe is the minimum, I tried this myself as I just wanted to play around with the sub oh well :(
If you do just calibrate the sub and centre or fronts then you will loose all your speaker blending and phasing.

Member 639844

Former Advertiser
Audyssey need information for the front speaker to match the subwoofer too, it wont run otherwise. The only way I can see this being possible would be if there was some way to loop the front speaker output back into Audyssey. This would then let Audyssey run as it would detect the front speakers, but as the speaker signal would be perfect, no correction would be applied, effectively by-passing the speakers and only applying correction to the subwoofers. I doubt this would be possible with AVR's.

Darkmatter21

Some interesting responses. Just wondering How does Audyssey match the front speakers to a subwoofer? also you could create a loop between the pre outs to the mic in using a RCA-3.5mm jack but i can imagine adyssey would get upset as soon as you disconnect the microphone.

At the moment i have been experimenting with using the "direct" lsitening mode, so far i personally feel my XLS200's don't reach down much further than my RX2, i suppose its a 8inch ported enclosure vs 10inch sealed.

I have been testing with using the pair of XLS200's jsut for LFE duty rather than redirected bass+LFE. So there should be no issue with the phasing or matching of the speakers as long as the distances are correct ( i use the ones audyssey gives using a quick setup to take account for the filters etc).

Jase

Distinguished Member
Won't work for 5.1/7.1 etc but you can have only the sub EQ active in Stereo/Direct by using Audyssey Front (Audyssey Bypass L/R). It leaves the front left and right channels untouched but applies EQ to the sub.

You can use Audyssey Front (or Audyssey Bypass L/R) for 5.1/7.1 etc but bear in mind it's EQ'd the centre and surround channels so they match the un-EQ'd front left and right channels.

If your AVR has that option then just run Audyssey as normal then assign the relevant EQ modes to whatever modes you use e.g Audyssey - Dolby Digital, Audyssey Front - Stereo etc etc...

Last edited:

Darkmatter21

Interesting, i have never seen "Audyssey Front" i do not have that feature in my 818, the only audyessey options i have is

Audyssey Movie
Audyssey Music
Audyssey Dynamic EQ
Audyssey Dynamic Volume

Jase

Distinguished Member
Unfortunately, it's down to the manufacturer if they include it or not. Some have it, some don't. I have Audyssey, Front, Flat and Manual but no Dynamic EQ or Dynamic Volume.

scottthehat

Distinguished Member
My amps don't hate nothing like that.
I hate what audessey does to music it sounds to concentrated on vocals.

Jase

Distinguished Member
Which AVR are you running?
Denon AVC-A1XV with Audyssey XT. Other Denon AVR's like the 3806 also have the same option. Not sure about their later models with XT32.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom