• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Audyssey Subwoofer setup on AVR-2808

steMS

Standard Member
Hi all, I'm having an issue with the audyssey setup on my new AVR-2808 and I hope you can help. When I first ran the setup with one mic position I got a good sounding setup with plenty of controlled bass. I have since moved the subwoofer, tidied the cables etc and re-ran audyssey with 8 positions. The soundstage through the 5 speakers now sounds even better but the sub volume has been set to -12.0 db and there is no bass whatsoever.

I have checked the connections, phase etc but it always set the sub to -12.0 db. I can manually compensate by increasing the subwoofer volume but I woul rather address the root cause.

I have read about the room equalisation, 'proper' levels of bass etc but this is definitely not that as I cannot hear the sub at all when running THX tests on some DVDs and when watching movies.

Hope somebody can help, thanks

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Try turning the gain on the sub right down, to say, an eighth and run it again.
If it's still -12dB, I'd suggest something is well wrong.

steMS

Standard Member
Thanks, I will try that later. The sub is working fine and the audyssey previously set it correctly so I'm sure it's all working, I just wonder if there is some weird room effect happening in the subs new position.

P

Peter Galbavy

-12dB is the minimum on my 4306. Manually going down 0.5dB and the sub is turned off. What must be happening is that the mic/amp is getting a major peak at one specific frequency which gives the -12dB setting and even the Audyssey filters can't make it go away and all the other frequencies get turned down too.

Like Badger said, decrease the sub quite a bit - I move my Monolith from about 33% to 20% and it reduced the reduction (!) from -11.5dB to -4.0dB now. And sounds fine.

Even if turning the sub down feels like you are not giving it enough headroom, if the amp is not sending a full-ish signal down the low-level input then you are losing headroom and dynamic range in the LFE signal. Better to reduce the sub gain and let the amp drive near the 0dB level to get the best dynamic range...

Badger0-0

Distinguished Member
Agreed.
I'm thinking that if it's -12 and the sub is an "auto on" jobby, it's probably not giving enough signal to kick it in.

P

Peter Galbavy

Agreed.
I'm thinking that if it's -12 and the sub is an "auto on" jobby, it's probably not giving enough signal to kick it in.

Very true - forgot about that as mine is setup to turn on with the amp :clap:

steMS

Standard Member
Guys, that's really helpful. The comment about the the whole range being reduced to compensate for one anomalous frequency is a clever suggestion given that it was moving the sub position that caused this. I will try later and let you know how it goes.

Thanks

P

Peter Galbavy

It's only a thought, as normally that's one of the things that Audyssey would make "go away".

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom