Audyssey say Sub is too High- cannot get it lower?

Jenz

I moved some speakers around recently and reran Audyssey.

My XTZ Cinema 1x12 Sub (on the back of the Sub) is set to:
Low Pass Filter Off
Maximum Crossover (160Hz)
Volume (Gain) is set to the Ref setting - which I believe means that the AVR sets it.

When I run Audyssey Xt32 on my Denon X6400H Amp the calibration process says the Sub is set too loud? :( I have no apparent way of turning it down when Sub gain is set to Ref.

So I then switched the Sub Gain dial to the lowest it will go... and the Denon still says 78db! I cannot get it lower to 75db.

So I left it at 78db, let Audyssey do it's thing... once complete I checked the Speaker Calibration Details on the Denon and the Sub has been set to -5 db and all speakers have been set very low (L/R -5,5db, Centre -6db, Surrounds -6.5db, Rears -6db, Atmos -4db).

I tried my UMIK-1 into REW to check spl sound levels and REW is saying that compared to the other speakers the SUB is set way to low :eek:

Am now completely confused ! Thoughts and help?

Jenz

64C319C4-DE3B-4261-92D5-449FDD88E8BE.jpeg
3E288828-38BB-4E5C-85ED-F6E41F0A2DF3.jpeg

sebna

I can see you have already tried it. You can buy inline attenuators RCA

Jenz

Surely that can't be right though given this is a pretty popular Amp and Sub?

sebna

Surely that can't be right though given this is a pretty popular Amp and Sub?
Don't get me wrong but it looks it is happening to you :). I agree it should not but looks like it is. Have you checked XTZ thread. Somebody has to run same config.

I think you have already tried it but you should set gain dial in sub to min value (not ref) and check audyssey again. If it is still to loud then attenuators will be your solution.

Also you might check if you have not set manually levels to some odd value but I would imagine audyssey would bypass it anyway.

Liammonty123

You should be able to get the sub channel to 75db using the gain dial on the sub for the purposes of the calibration, then turn the gain back up after it has been done?

Jenz

You should be able to get the sub channel to 75db using the gain dial on the sub for the purposes of the calibration, then turn the gain back up after it has been done?
Setting the Sub to the absolute minimum gain I am still getting the Denon saying “too high 78db”?

Liammonty123

That’s very strange, would’ve thought the sub dial would’ve allowed you to get that low. Maybe try the attenuators mentioned above for the calibration, then remove once done?

Jenz

So to conclude this thread I just wanted to give an update on what the issue appeared to be in case anyone else has it.

@Rickyj at Kalibrate mentioned that the attenuators as an option also as you guys did, but he also mentioned that in his experience the Denon Mic isn't that accurate sometimes. This got me thinking to my Mic placement and my MLP.

So I again reran the tests and had the same results as above. However when I then sat in my MLP to listen to the results I realised that my actual head and ear position was probably 12 inches higher than where I had placed the Mic. I had incorrectly positioned it and the subsequent further Mic locations.

I therefore reran the Audyssey at the correct ear level and I was able to then get my Sub to measure 76db on the Denon at the lowest Gain setting on the Sub :smashin:

Just goes to show how important the Audyssey Mic positioning is.