Audyssey LFC

lifereinspired

Novice Member
Hi,

We live in an apartment building with 40 units. We currently have an Onkyo TXNR626 7.2 Channel AVR for our home theater. We've had it 6 years & it was a previous model year when we purchased.

We're having issues with sound. Basically, a lot of the stuff we watch has the music and effects too loud and the dialogue too quiet. It makes for severe frustration either missing what's said or constantly riding the volume. It takes much of the joy out of watching.

I've learned of Audyssey LFC which is supposed to help stop noise migrating through the walls by targeting certain frequencies that cause vibration but don't effect our perception of the sound much. I'm wondering if anyone has ever used this. It's only available in mid-tier and up Denon/Marantz AVRs from what I can tell making it more expensive that we had hoped for an upgrade. Having said that, if it would allow us more range in the volume, cause less noise issues for neighbors, and generally help solve the problem, we might try to spring for it. I just don't want to find out that we made the stretch only to find out that it won't help our situation much.

Any info would be brilliant. I'd love to hear from anyone who has used the feature themselves rather than technical data or specs. I want to better understand how it helps in real life and if it (or other features on the receivers) would help or if I'm better off looking for something different. Thanks so much for any advice or info you could share. I really appreciate it!

Nayfne

Distinguished Member
Hi,

We live in an apartment building with 40 units. We currently have an Onkyo TXNR626 7.2 Channel AVR for our home theater. We've had it 6 years & it was a previous model year when we purchased.

We're having issues with sound. Basically, a lot of the stuff we watch has the music and effects too loud and the dialogue too quiet. It makes for severe frustration either missing what's said or constantly riding the volume. It takes much of the joy out of watching.

I've learned of Audyssey LFC which is supposed to help stop noise migrating through the walls by targeting certain frequencies that cause vibration but don't effect our perception of the sound much. I'm wondering if anyone has ever used this. It's only available in mid-tier and up Denon/Marantz AVRs from what I can tell making it more expensive that we had hoped for an upgrade. Having said that, if it would allow us more range in the volume, cause less noise issues for neighbors, and generally help solve the problem, we might try to spring for it. I just don't want to find out that we made the stretch only to find out that it won't help our situation much.

Any info would be brilliant. I'd love to hear from anyone who has used the feature themselves rather than technical data or specs. I want to better understand how it helps in real life and if it (or other features on the receivers) would help or if I'm better off looking for something different. Thanks so much for any advice or info you could share. I really appreciate it!
I have a marantz SR6012 with this feautre, i have tried Auddesy LFC a few times, just out of curiosity. It dials down the overall dynamic range/effect. You can here that the LFE has been toned down, i suppose the only way you wil know it's for you, is if you have a listen to one and see what you think?

goingoingong

Distinguished Member
Hi,

You can improve that by upping the levels of the centre channel thus making it louder at the same volume setting. Or with denon/marantz using the dialogue enhancer or channel level adjustment popups which do it on a per input basis.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Try engaging Dynamic Volume within the Audyssey configurations. THis is a dynamic option that would be applied less the louder you set the master volume. It would effectively be not used if the receiver is set to 0db reference. This is more preferable than altering the centre channel level because even if portraying audio at or close to reference then you'd still be outputting the centre channel at a higher than required level.

I'd also suggest not engaging Dynamic EQ as this invariably makes quieter aspects of a soundtrack harder to discern at lower volume levels.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom