Audyssey EQ. What are your honest thoughts?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by jaxton, Feb 12, 2009.

1. jaxton

jaxton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to know your honest opinions of the Audyssey room eq.

My room is about 23ftx12ft with a vaulted ceiling and wooden floor so acoustically I guess it is not an easy room to optimise for, although there are a lot of ceiling-to-floor heavy curtains as well as furnishings.

The system sounds great when Room EQ is switched off, but to me it appears to be too 'flattened' when Audyssey EQ is switched on, with different types of music. (I used 6 listening positions when I set it up, I also used the Dolby and DTS recomended layout when positioning the speakers.)

Looking at the eq curves I can see that the top end is dropped on all 5 of the speakers, and this is noticeable in the sound by the loss of top end detail. I am not too impressed, so I would apreciate your thoughts.

System:
    Denon 4306
    Monitor Audio RS8, RS2, RSLCR
    Room is 23ftx12ft with a vaulted ceiling, wooden floor, lots of heavy curtains and furnishings

2. JH4

JH4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    Have to admit I have never been a big fan of complex room EQ adjustments. I have lots of room furnishings to absorb standing wave reflections, which you appear to have as well. This, I believe is the most important thing for good audio listening.
    Remember Audyssey adjusts for the room acoustics - not your ears.
    Unless you are in your teens you won't hear frequencies of around 20KHz, so to compensate, a small high frequency lift can be quite good, but notch filtering of standing waves is best left for rooms that have lots of hard reflective surfaces, and imo, it's never going to beat the soft furnishing route. Heavy curtains are just right !
    Simple things like glass ornaments can add reflective distortions as well.
    Let your ears be the judge, I say.
    A good test is to play some loud music and suddenly pause it, and listen - it will tell you a lot about the echoes in the room.
    Just my thoughts, of course. Others may disagree, and probably will !

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009
  3. infiniti23

infiniti23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just bought my 2809 last week so I haven't had that much time to tweak everything to my total satisfaction but I haven't found that the Audyssey EQ works as well as I expected it to. I still have a significant level in volume when I switch from a SD channel to a HD one. It isn't an issue that really bothers me all that much, but I did expect it to level out the volume a bit more noticeably.

4. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,025
    Audyssey helped blow my sub's driver due to a stupid 13db boost at <20Hz. :eek: I recently bought a separate power amp and I'm now just using the basic EQ curve on my surrounds with my fronts not EQ'd at all. I have a separate BFD for sub EQing so this seems to give the best overvall effect for me and prevents my new sub speaker from going the same way as the first.

The sound with Audyssey engaged seemed too 'thin' in the mid range and completely took away the benefit of my recently upgraded centre speaker. I know my room isn't ideal, but when watching films I have a velvet 'tent' that I put up mainly to improve the PQ with my projector, but it also helps dampen the room (wooden floors) so that the sound is much better. I think that getting the room right was more important than having a poor room and applying correction over it.

All IMHO and YMMV. ;)

5. jason shep

jason shep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +420
    I think Audyssey is a stunning system & would not want to be without it,i'm sure lots of people never get their pre/pro's or avr's set up correctly and or need time to adjust to the sound of their system with Audyssey engaged.

If you still think it sounds too dull try the Audyssey flat setting so the top end is not rolled off :smashin:

6. Lord Bunky

Lord Bunky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I didnt like Audyssey when i first got my 4308, but since the upgrade it took on new life. Deeper bass, clear midrange and nice sharpe treble.

I dont like Audyssey turned off now. Low end rumble is now chest shaking. FUN!!! :D

7. Peter Galbavy

Peter Galbavy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Audyssey qorks for me. Used in in my Denon 4306 and now 4308 to great effect. Still never sure for stereo music, but for films it's great. As mentioned, it is not a 100% substitute for room treatment etc. but these all work together, not as stark alternatives.

Note that setting up Audyssey for best performance can be a bit of a chore, but it's worth the effort.

8. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,247
    I think Audyssey is excellent and works extremely well. It does take time to get right as you need to run it several times at lots of different mic placements until you get to a sound that you're happy with. It can also do a sterling job with the subwoofer (enough for me to completely forget about using the EQ on my old Velodyne DD15).

Some people maybe happy just to run one sweep and be done with it but experimentation is the key and you really need to use the maximum amount of mic placements to give the system something to work with.

For those of you using the Manual EQ option, bear in mind this is purely a basic EQ, it's not Parametric as you can't adjust Q. It also doesn't EQ the Subwoofer and uses none of the funky filters or technology that Audyssey has. It's more like a turbocharged Tone Control.