• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

audyssey crossover settings

HarryK

Standard Member
I've ran the audyssey auto-setup using the mic and it identified the size of speakers correctly and also the distances and the sound level. The cross-over settings for the fronts and center were set very high at 150Hz, even though they go down to 55Hz. The rears were set at 90Hz and they go down to 68Hz. Should i change the fronts and center down to 90Hz as well or will this affect the audyssey eq?

I've ran the audyssey setup 5 times now (with 6 measurements) and each time it gives the same cross-over.

For the first measurement, the mic was fixed to a tripod which was then placed on my main listening seat at ear level and which put it higher than the back seat. Is this ok?

Cheers.

jason shep

Hi Harry,
i would not recommend lowering a crossover point found by Audyssey as it only creates correction filters down to the frequency where the speaker is down it output by -3 db,also the subwwofer channel has finer resolution filters to deal with the bass,you're rears are probably being reinforced by a nearby boundary,i would probably raise the crossover on the rears to match the fronts & relieve them of some workload

Chuck V

I posted this i few days ago in the 876 owners thread, you might find some uselfull tips.:)

Remember, Audyssey measures the - 3dB point IN room, and that's respons you get in your listening position. It's pretty irrelevant what the speaker may or may not be capable of on a white paper.

One thing to remember here is not to blame Audyssey for the SMALL/LARGE (fullband etc) settings. This is NOT a choice Audyssey makes, it's the choice of the receiver itself, in other words, Onkyo chooses to implement MultEQ this way.

I know for a fact that Chris Kyriakakis (founder of Audyssey) is not very happy with the way the producers of receivers implement the bass management. This hole SMALL/LARGE thing is ONLY confusing and could be done in a better way.

SMALL = bass management speaker

LARGE = no bass management

It's the receiver brand that makes the decision that when Audyssey finds the -3dB point for exampel under 80 Hz, it automaticly sets the speaker to LARGE (in other words-full range with no bass management). Then as you said, you have to manualy set the crossover to a higher frequency.

Remember thats it's always OK to set the crossover to a frequency at a higher point, it will work just fine. But it's never OK to manualy set the crossover point to a lower frequency, that won't work because the MultEQ-filters can't boost the -3dB point of the speaker (IN room, not in a anechoic chamber...), you will end up with massive distortion and not use the subwoofer to a more optimum degree.

So, MultEQ finds the -3dB point of each speaker, then it's the receiver who sets the filters.

/Chuck

Member 116841

Distinguished Member
Hi Harry

I thought I'd post my reply to you on here as well as to your message to help others out.

Usually, auto setups work very well and are pretty accurate. Sometimes, the settings they arrive at may seem a little odd, but they're more accurate than you think (although Audyssey isn't usually very consistent - it works well for some people and not for others).

When a manufacturer states a speaker goes down to 55Hz, this has been measured in an anechoic chamber, which has no reflection and is usually dead as a doornail. Actual in room response is usually different, and when stating figures like 55Hz, this is usually within a certain tolerance. Many stats will give a speakers response with a +/- 3dB (sometimes -6dB for the lower end), which makes things sound more impressive. You'll usually find bigger and better speaker rate to -3dB, and small bookshelf speakers to -6dB. The lower end of the bass scale at -6dB isn't really going to be heard properly when listening to many other instruments producing more prominent frequencies. I would expect an auto setup to set the Tannoys at about 120-150Hz from experience. Centres tend to be a little higher as they have a smaller cabinet volume, and sometimes smaller drivers. Rears tend to have a different response as they're right up against a wall, and higher up than the fronts. Do you have the foam bungs in or not? You'll get a better bass response with the bungs out, but a more even and detailed one with them in.

You could lower the crossover point by 10 or 20Hz if you feel you want more from the speakers themselves.

The one drawback of smaller speakers is that the sub has to reach higher than subs are generally meant to deal with, which can be a problem with some subs. Subs like the M&K's are designed to deal with higher frequencies as well as those below 80/100Hz.

It may be worth running another auto setup once the speakers are run in, as this may/will give slightly different results.

Regards
David

HarryK

Standard Member
Thanks for the info guys. If i set the fronts, rears and center to 120Hz, would i then set the LFE to 120HZ as well or lower?

By increasing the crossover for the speakers to 120Hz, will i be missing out on any sound info?

BTW. I'm using the Tannoy Custom speakers with a Mordaunt Short 309i sub and Denon AVR-1909 amp.

jason shep

LFE x over should always be set to 120hz as this is the ceiling frequency for content mixed with a .1 lfe channel :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom