Audyssey Calibration Advice

RazerMouse

All, been out of the game a while, but recenly started buying back into HC kit. I have a Marantz SR7011 and Velodyne DD12 that is too old to calibrate as it uses legacy S-Video. Audyssey want the sub vol to read 75dB, but once full room cal is done, the sub is very low and in many movies that have rocked me in my seat, I'm left very dissapointed. There is a key combo on the Sub remote that factory resets it, and BOOM...bass is back in spades and doing the job much better...

Should I just leave it like that and be happy?

mb3195

Distinguished Member
Audyssey always reduces the bass output.

do your calibration but don’t reduce the subs to 75db, keep them at around 78db.

when audyssey is finished, increase your subs by around 4-5db in the speaker levels menu.

Jase

Distinguished Member
All, been out of the game a while, but recenly started buying back into HC kit. I have a Marantz SR7011 and Velodyne DD12 that is too old to calibrate as it uses legacy S-Video. Audyssey want the sub vol to read 75dB, but once full room cal is done, the sub is very low and in many movies that have rocked me in my seat, I'm left very dissapointed. There is a key combo on the Sub remote that factory resets it, and BOOM...bass is back in spades and doing the job much better...

Should I just leave it like that and be happy?

Can't you use the Yellow Composite Video Out of the Velodyne into one of the Yellow Composite Video Inputs on the Marantz? Could also use the AUX1 Inputs on the front panel.

The Marantz should then upconvert and scale to HDMI provided that's turned on.

RazerMouse

Can't you use the Yellow Composite Video Out of the Velodyne into one of the Yellow Composite Video Inputs on the Marantz? Could also use the AUX1 Inputs on the front panel.

The Marantz should then upconvert and scale to HDMI provided that's turned on.
Now that's what I love about a good forum like this.......I'd never have considered that! You can buy SVid to HDMI converters too....but your way is cheaper :)

Jase

Distinguished Member
Now that's what I love about a good forum like this.......I'd never have considered that! You can buy SVid to HDMI converters too....but your way is cheaper :)

I've to do this in the past when I had Velodyne DD subs. Either via an AVR or Video Processor as the TV/Monitor didn't have the Inputs (or was a faff to get to).

alkax

My tip with Audyssey is rather than increase gain, set the crossover a little higher and add an extra foot to the distance measurement for the sub. If i just add gain, it tends to bloat other frequencies.

RazerMouse

My tip with Audyssey is rather than increase gain, set the crossover a little higher and add an extra foot to the distance measurement for the sub. If i just add gain, it tends to bloat other frequencies.
Thanks I'll try that next calibration. But the above tip with setting 78db, cal, then adding 5db manually get's me back to that nice bass thump that I do love. Not watched enough content as yet to determine if too much.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom