Quantcast

Audyssey App discussion - chat about midrange compensation and post your graphs here!

Nobbler

Distinguished Member
Now that the Audyssey App is available on Android and iOS - and along with the Denon AVR4300 being the new forum darling, I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread dedicated to the app.
Please post your graphs here and discuss things like "what has switching off midrange compensation done to my system?" here!

I'm a Marantz SR7011 owner and have posted graphs in that thread (which I will re-post here) but the first thing I'll mention in the "before-after" on the graphs is that the "before" is measured from a speaker which has been previously measured using Audyssey XT32. The "after" graphs all look a lot smoother and "flatter" so does the app measure the respones more closely than the great God XT32 itself? Do we have a Dirac equal here for the princely sum of £19.99...?

Most reviews on the Google Play store say that the biggest problem with it is it's inability to actually stay connected to the receiver. I must say that I've never had that problem using a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 with my 7011...anybody having issues with it?

Will update this shortly with my graphs...

Attachments

marcos1975

How did u take the before graphs with the audyssey XT32 ON ? to my knowledge all EQ is set to OFF automatically when u run the audyssey auto set up.

Nobbler

Distinguished Member
Well i ran Audyssey via the app after i had calibrated it normally when i first got the 7011 a month ago so i assumed it was measuring an already calibrated room...

Stoke192

Distinguished Member
New 7011 owner myself and very interested in this, hopefully I'll finish my install over the weekend, so can finally get to setting it all up properly.
I'll be following this thread with interest.

Nobbler

Distinguished Member
I'm currently playing with something called the Schroeder Frequency which I'd never heard of but is very popular with our American cousins...So far I've had awesome results and my system has never sounded better. Watch this space ...

marcos1975

Well i ran Audyssey via the app after i had calibrated it normally when i first got the 7011 a month ago so i assumed it was measuring an already calibrated room...
then the graphs from before, it,s the response in your room without any EQ , because audyssey turn off all kind of EQ before it begin with a new calibration , so in the graph before , u are looking at your speakers response without audyssey ON :)

Nobbler

Distinguished Member
then the graphs from before, it,s the response in your room without any EQ , because audyssey turn off all kind of EQ before it begin with a new calibration , so in the graph before , u are looking at your speakers response without audyssey ON :)
Then it's still doing a decent job :)

marcos1975

Then it's still doing a decent job :)
it,s doing realy good, andi realy like what audyssey dos in my room :) and i would love to have this app. so i could tweak a few things , but unfortunately we can,t denon 7200WA :( , to be honest iam thinking new avr. just to be able to use this app. :)

Topmetom 2

I'm currently playing with something called the Schroeder Frequency which I'd never heard of but is very popular with our American cousins...So far I've had awesome results and my system has never sounded better. Watch this space ...
Hmmm what ive read that involves multiple subs?

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
Hmmm what ive read that involves multiple subs?
Nothing to do with multiple subs:

The Schroeder Frequency: A Show and Tell, Part 1

In this example it is around 200Hz, but it will vary according to the room dimensions. Being able to turn off room eq above Schroeder frequency can be of benefit if you don't like the result with full range. I've done it with my Dirac set up as it's easy to set the range that correction is applied to, but it's interesting that this new app may allow something similar: I never used to like what Audyssey did to the higher end of my speakers, but it was good with the subs (I have external eq so can always add a bit of a house curve back in too after Audyssey).

Topmetom 2

KelvinS1965

Distinguished Member
From the article...

It's also worth noting that using two or preferably four subwoofers, placed along the walls or in the corners and properly EQed, has been shown to deliver more consistent performance across a wide range of listening positions than a set of full-range speakers can. By the way, here's an article with more about placement of subs and use of multiple subs (PDF link).
Read more at The Schroeder Frequency: A Show and Tell, Part 2

Thanks for the explanation though.
While it does mention multiple subs, 'Schreoder frequency' is not anything to do with how many subs you have. It is to do with the dimensions of the room as it discusses in that (and other articles about SF that you can find searching the web). That's not to say that multiple subs, properly set up won't benefit a room, as I have four myself for this purpose.

You can still chose to eq (or not) above Schreoder frequency regardless of how many subs you have, which is where the App comes in (and what I can do with Dirac).

paulst10

Distinguished Member
I bought the Audyssey app today, finally got hold of a phone capable enough (Galaxy Note 2) which I've borrowed to test the app. Initial impressions are OK, not really any easier or different setup wise and haven't really got round to tweaking anything yet, my only gripe at the moment is that when you're in the curve editor, the sub channel only takes up 1/3 of the screen so you can't really see what you're doing when your finger's dragging an icon across it.. they need to stretch the 20-250hz range to full screen really. Also couldn't see any crossover options, not sure why they'd leave that out??

paulst10

Distinguished Member
What do I need to do if I want add another tablet? Is there a way to send the curve data to another device?

paulst10

Distinguished Member
Applied a little 3db boost at 25hz which is giving me the extra weight I'm used to coming from an Antimode Cinema which I found has a slight upward slope as frequency descends..

Edit: Prefer this, a bit more gradual..

Last edited:

Nobbler

Distinguished Member
Screenshot_20170405-170947.png

So how did you get it to start at 75db? Mine rolls up and levels out...

paulst10

Distinguished Member
You mean 75hz? You need two circle icons, one around 70hz to hold it still then the other around 22hz to shape it. I'd be careful though you may need to start around 30hz as your BK rolls off higher up than my SVS subs and I've also measured before and after Audyssey so I know how much headroom I've got to play around with..

Last edited:

paulst10

Distinguished Member
This is my original curve..

Nobbler

Distinguished Member
At 20hz you have pretty much reference level whilst mine is at -9...Here's my measured rather than corrected graph. Nasty knull at around the 40-50hz point that no end of tweaking this app is going to cure

Attachments

paulst10

Distinguished Member
At 20hz you have pretty much reference level whilst mine is at -9...Here's my measured rather than corrected graph. Nasty knull at around the 40-50hz point that no end of tweaking this app is going to cure
Have you tried re-positioning the sub? Do you use REW? REW - Room EQ Wizard Room Acoustics Software

There's a option across the top called room sim, you input the dimensions of the room in the top left, set a seating position, then drag the sub around the room to find the best response, it's surprisingly accurate and much better than guessing..

Nobbler

Distinguished Member
I used to use it all the time but don't have a mic that works with it at the minute. Might have to try the subwoofer crawl tomorrow as got the house to myself...

paulst10

Distinguished Member
I used to use it all the time but don't have a mic that works with it at the minute. Might have to try the subwoofer crawl tomorrow as got the house to myself...
You don't need a mic to use the room sim, it's free, much more accurate than a sub crawl and you don't have to give up your seat to a subwoofer ;)

Topmetom 2

This is very interesting, cant wait to try this versus my anthem!

Paulst10 also has dual subs nobbler...dunno if that makes a difference on output etc?

Nobbler

Distinguished Member
I shall give that a go today @paulst10 - thanks.

@Topmetom2 - I would imagine having the 2 subs would make a difference plus they're probably positioned properly...

Nobbler

Distinguished Member
OK so that was easy! REW room sim is a great tool and very easy to use - however, it's a little limited in allowing the room dimensions to be set correctly. If you look at the graphs I've attached from the room sim, my room IS that shape - however, there is half a side wall to the left of the listening position and then a gap that leads to a dining area with no doors. Also, the centre of the room where the screens actually are is a chimney breast - the TV is attached to it and my projector screen drops down in front of it. I'll add actual photos of the room in a bit.

So - sub 1 as I've called it is where my sub is now. You'll see from the pictures of the room that it's wife friendly being next to the equipment cabinet. Sub 2 is where the knulls are at their smallest but what REW can't take into account is that is where the corner of chimney breast and the front wall meets...so it's going to boost it as it will be in a corner. What I can do as I'm on my own pretty much for the working day is move it to that spot, measure using the Audyssey app and see what happens in real time. The ideal place for the sub where there are minimum knulls is on top of the word "front" - obviously that can't happen due to the fact that my equipment shelf is there...

Attachments

Nobbler

Distinguished Member
Ok so so.e actual pics of the room.
1 - is from where the sofa is looking at the screens.
2 - the half wall at the left hand side of the room. It's actually more like a third rather than half.
3 - the chimney breast. The room SIM says out the sub where it meets the wall but doesn't take into account the corner.
4 - the dining area looking to the main room. If i had my way ( it's rented as I'm serving in the military and it's forces housing) I would put doors up and partition the rooms but it can't be done so it's a real time problem.

Attachments

marcos1975

Ok so so.e actual pics of the room.
1 - is from where the sofa is looking at the screens.
2 - the half wall at the left hand side of the room. It's actually more like a third rather than half.
3 - the chimney breast. The room SIM says out the sub where it meets the wall but doesn't take into account the corner.
4 - the dining area looking to the main room. If i had my way ( it's rented as I'm serving in the military and it's forces housing) I would put doors up and partition the rooms but it can't be done so it's a real time problem.
if i were u , i would Forget about the room sim. function, its only going to be a guess work, as u have said it , it dosn,t know anything about the shape of your room , doors/windows/furniture elc. only actual room response measurments with a mic. its going to tell you the real story.