Auditioning Rega Brio R and Rega DAC

stevebrockelsby

Established Member
Reaction score
I am auditioning the Rega amp hoping to see an improvement over my Marantz PM6004, I hope the Rega will give me a but more control and punch! I will be auditioning it with my current Cdplayer which is the CD6004 then see how it sounds with Rega DAC as well (a future upgrade).

I will be using my current speakers (BX2s) does the Rega amp go well with the speakers? This will only be a temporary arrangement until funds allow me to upgrade to something that suit the Rega amp more.

Thanks

Last edited:
I am auditioning the Rega amp hoping to see an improvement over my Marantz PM6004, I hope the Rega will give me a but more control and punch! I will be auditioning it with my current Cdplayer which is the CD6004 then see how it sounds with Rega DAC as well (a future upgrade).

I will be using my current speakers (BX2s) does the Rega amp go well with the speakers? This will only be a temporary arrangement until funds allow me to upgrade to something that suit the Rega amp more.

Thanks

Hi, the Rega amp has a sterling reputation and should be an improvement over the Marantz which is also well regarded. There is no reason why it should not sound good with your CDP.

have read many reviews and forum members about the BX2's and have no reason to believe they will not be 'synergistic'.

You may even find you wish to keep the BX2's and save some money;)

Thanks for the input.

I am auditioning the Rega Brio-r & a Naim Nait 5i (just out of curiousity) this afternoon with my C6004, then with the Rega DAC using my Marantz as a transport to see what improvements in detail, if any there is.

My BX2's will be staying at home as my local dealer has some Neat Motive 3 and KEF Q300 for me to try with the Rega, obviously speakers will be a future upgrade.

The Neats are ex demo amd they want £685 for them so that's over £200 off.

I will report back later on my findings!

I believe the Neats and Kefs are a good match for the Rega Brio, it's just down really to how they sound to me, also need to take into consideration my room size which is 4.5m x 3.5m.

Which out of those speakers need more space?

I would actually say the Motives need more space - in our demo room anyway. If you have a concrete floor, you may find different.

IMO the BX2's will sound just fine based on the reviews I have read and forum members views.:devil:

Well I just got back from my audition!

First up was Brio/CD6004 and some KEF q300's I wasn't overly keen on the sound to be honest, they sounded wooly and very lacking in any punch, I was initially disappointed playing Crosses by Zero 7 after a few more tacks of dire straits, Adele, massive attack and Morcheeba I wasn't really like the sound and considering the speakers are £450 was very disappointed thinking that the amp wasn't any improvement over

Next things changed we put the Neat Motive 3s on..........OMG I was instantly blown away, I have never heard Zero 7 - Crosses sound so coherent and musical ever, even hearing new details from the CD6004, I know it's a cliche but this combo was really hitting the spot, I was enjoying the music so much I was like a kid in a sweetie shop, the Motive 3s are compact and don't look anything spcecial but that has changed what a superb speaker! I kept worrying how the Brio would fair with my BX2s considering the outcome of the Kefs! The Neats were for sale ex demo for £685 saving £200 off new but I know I couldn't afford them.

Next up was the Rega DAC through the CD6004 things got even better, this set up was fantastic, punchy, musical and detailed, even Wayne @Cymbiosis, Leicester was surprised at how good the marantz was as a transport. Yes lots of details coming through and i was totally enjoying the music!

I was already sold on the amp! Just worried about how the BX2s would fare when I got home.....

Well my fears were unfounded!

I've gone through lots of CDs at home and the Brio has really made my BX2s sing.....They have outperformed the Kefs by a mile and can't believe they are A £250 speaker, yes the Neats sound amazing but at the minute am really happy with my new Brio R and is a great improvement over the PM6004.

Last edited:
Next things changed we put the Neat Motive 3s on..........OMG I was instantly blown away, I have never heard Zero 7 - Crosses sound so coherent and musical ever, even hearing new details from the CD6004, I know it's a cliche but this combo was really hitting the spot, I was enjoying the music so much I was like a kid in a sweetie shop, the Motive 3s are compact and don't look anything spcecial but that has changed what a superb speaker! I kept worrying how the Brio would fair with my BX2s considering the outcome of the Kefs! The Neats were for sale ex demo for £685 saving £200 off new but I know I couldn't afford them.

Next up was the Rega DAC through the CD6004 things got even better, this set up was fantastic, punchy, musical and detailed, even Wayne @Cymbiosis, Leicester was surprised at how good the marantz was as a transport. Yes lots of details coming through and i was totally enjoying the music!

I was already sold on the amp! Just worried about how the BX2s would fare when I got home.....

Well my fears were unfounded!

I've gone through lots of CDs at home and the Brio has really made my BX2s sing.....They have outperformed the Kefs by a mile and can't believe they are A £250 speaker, yes the Neats sound amazing but at the minute am really happy with my new Brio R and is a great improvement over the PM6004.

The marantz cd6004 is good as a transport, well thats what I find anyway running it through the dac in my rotel ra12. I'm starting to think the pm6004 is the weak link in the marantz combo.

The pm6004 is a great little amp, but it wasn't for me! The Rega Brio R has blown me away though

Not bought the DAC yet, but i am going too when funds allow it sounds fantastic!

The Brio R, Rega DAC, CD6004 and Neat Motive 3s sounds absolutely fantastic and it's the sound I have been looking for! The Brio R at £480 is a steal, it should be double that!

Plasterman,

Just realised you had the marantz combo and changed the amp to the Rotel and using the Rega DAC through your cd6004..... Yep definitely the PM6004 is the weak link....the Rega Brio is soo musical I'm loving it!

I had home audition of Brio R and PM6004. I was holding off commenting until you made your own decision.. PM6004 was great but Brio R was a step above. Love the thing. Had been considering swapping Q Acoustics 2020i for BX2's, you've just made that more likely :) Rega DAC looks great but £500 is a LOT of money for a DAC.

The Brio R and BX2s sound fantastic, BX2s on atacama se24s, chord crimson, chord silver carnival....and CD6004

Ben, A Leftfield fan judging by you signature....Afrika Shox?

Right gonna see how Rhyhm & Stealth sounds

Last edited:
Indeeeeed :)

I had the older BR2's, liked them but swapped them, forever swapping!

One day i'll find the right one for me*

* name the electronicish band for 10 points

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom