Auditioning Amps/Speakers - help !

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Donald.Elliot, May 8, 2007.

1. Donald.Elliot

Donald.Elliot
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Compared Harman Kardon 445 versus Yamaha 2700 today and for music the HK seemed to outperform the Yamaha 2700 hands down. The speakers being driven were the B&W XT4s...
    Last week I listened to the Yamaha driving a Monitor Audio RS Silver 5.1 set-up and it seemed to be fantastic ...
    Unfortunately one local dealer sells Monitor Audio, the other B&W
    As a newbie learning how to audition speakers / amps etc. I need some advice before I disappear beneath the waves of amp/speaker combinations...
    Anyone with more experience suggest why I might have found the results above, or is it so dependant on source and are amp/speaker cominbations critical (some just wont work well together) ...
    As I'm on the lookout for an amp plus speakers,(plus sub) can anyone advise on the process to first select the amp, then the speakers or vice versa ???
    Are some speakers 'difficult to drive' and therefore you should choose an easygoing set untill you've chosen the amp ?
    I'd like to be in control of the process to come to a decision at some point during 2007...

Thanks for any help, and apologies if I've missed any FAQ's on the subject...

2. hoppaz

hoppaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Woo hoo another HK amp admirer. HK are park of Lexicon who make high end kit (a lot of it legendary) so it isn't suprising that the HK stuff is quality.

I have the HK 430 amp and it is excellent musically and in moves too. Logic 7 beats dolby pro logic II hands down.

The Yamaha amp has had good reviews too and you should be carefull when partnering kit, some work well together, others don't. Even speaker cable can make a huge difference.

I use the SVS SB-01 surround speaker package which gets rave reviews on this forum and when partnered with the HK amp and Morduant Short 309i sub (as I don't want to kill the neighbours) and the kit produces excellent sound in music and movies too. When I listen to Norah Jones (who's CD IMO is beautifully mastered) if you close your eyes it sounds like she is in the room with you (I have friends and family who agree).