Auditioning a TV for its HDR performance

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by MahaRaja, Feb 27, 2018.

1. MahaRaja

MahaRaja

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +392
    I've visited many shops when I have a chance to see the latest TVs on their display but all of them have demo footage displaying with HDR looking stunning compared with SDR footage on the demo.

Demo footage is just a demo, so where can you go to see actual HDR content & compare it with SDR?

So unless you have a friend/relative who has a HDR set watching a HDR content, you can't really judge as to how good streaming contents with the likes of Netflix & Amazon as some forum members say they're not impressed with DV on Netflix, not sure about Amazon.

Years ago, you could walk into JL store and see that they have BBC HD content playing on their TVs and compare the picture quality and even grab/request the remote from the sales asst and change the default vivid shop settings to see how the picture is. Now the situation is different.

• Shops claim they don't have Sky feed, let alone 4K subscription on Sky.
    • No subscription to Netflix/Amazon to test
    • No 4K ATV connected or even in stock!
    • No UHD Blu Ray players connected or too lazy to get one connected.
    So the only way, it seem is to get one at home then find out, which is not ideal.
    We're led to believe that HDR makes the biggest diffidence to picture quality rather than the 4K resolution but unless I could see one in action, not a demo, which we know are carefully filmed and presented to impress customers, I can't judge one and part with my hard earned money.

2. DevonMike

DevonMike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    You could just put one of the TVs YouTube apps on and try the hdr or 4k content available on there,plenty of 4k trailers
    such as Kong Skull Island,Guardians Of The Galaxy etc.

3. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,051