Audition the Rega IO - any tips

Ritsut

Standard Member
Hello Kind People, hope you are well. I am looking to get back into hifi with a starter system. I appreciate sound is subjective, but love to get your opinions, especially those who have IO.

Looking to audition the Rega IO amp, that is intended for my home office circa 3m x 3m. Main source will probably be my MacBook pro 2015, listening to spotify. The speakers I am using are my monitor Audio silver 5I. Nominal Impedance 8 Ohm, Recommended Amplifier Power 30 WattOutput Level (SPL) 108.5 dB, Sensitivity 89 dB, I had them for years (probably 15 years) as part of my front speakers of my AV system, now no more - Would todays budget speakers out shine them? I read rave reviews of the Wharfdale diamond 12.1 by Darko, watching the video and i am tempted, or would anyone recommend any other speakers - Damn hifi wants you to spend money......

I will probably need to out lay for the following:
budget dac? the hifi shop will use a dragonfly red in the audition.
Speaker cable? what are good these days on a budget to mid price point?

If you do add your thoughts, i thank you in advance. Cheers

Last edited:

BT Bob

Distinguished Member
Rega developed the IO to drive their Kyte speakers - ideally in the System One bundle with a RP1+ turntable. I've herd this set up and, for the money (just under £1000 with all cables) it's sensational.
I'd recommend trying to hear it with the Rega speakers if you can.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
You should be able to sell the 5is for a hundred quid plus, and if you can afford them, the new Kytes are allegedly mega good. And in a room your size, a perfect fit for both the room and the IO.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member

acgingersnaps

And the best usb only dac around now (probably) is this one.

This or the Topping E30. Neither will cause complaint.

Ritsut

Standard Member
Ed
Rega developed the IO to drive their Kyte speakers - ideally in the System One bundle with a RP1+ turntable. I've herd this set up and, for the money (just under £1000 with all cables) it's sensational.
I'd recommend trying to hear it with the Rega speakers if you can.
thanks for the info Bob, I asked to audition Kytes and dealers not got them in stock.. wonder if it’s a risk to buy blind?

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
If you mean the V2 Zen, I’m sure it is very good, as will be the new ‘signature’ version.

Whether either is an improvement on the the Topping is hard to say.

And they only have a USB input.

The signature version is twice the price of the Topping too.

An extra £125 that might be better spent on speakers.

BT Bob

Distinguished Member
Ed

thanks for the info Bob, I asked to audition Kytes and dealers not got them in stock.. wonder if it’s a risk to buy blind?
If you buy via mail-order, you have a 14-day cooling off period.
But most dealers with an online presence will allow you a demo period - though you'd have to pay return postage if you changed your mind.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom