1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Auditiions ????

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Philip Newton, Sep 20, 2002.

1. Philip Newton

Philip Newton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I want to demo an amp if I have no intention of buying from them. E.g if I co to sevenoakes and listen to the set up it is more expensive there than on the net for example, also it is not in your own home so it may sound different how do you get round this

2. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

You can't - you just use the shop demo as a guide.
    Personally I think it's more of an issue with speakers than with amps.

You may get some dealers to demo at your home, or perhaps even lend you the kit over a weekend or something - depends on how you feel on the issue, but IMO it wouldn't really then be very fair or honorable to then fan him off and buy over the 'net.
    If you haggle beforehand, you may find they may be flexible on price, but you can't really expect top service at internet prices.
    But maybe I'm a bit daft like that. :)

3. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    isn't this one of the reaons stores have higher prices??:confused:

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    It's the same as if you spent the evening telling me all about the different mortgage facilities on offer and I ended up taking out something through a friend who offered to rebate me some of his commission.

5. Philip Newton

Philip Newton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very good point Ian!! That would be a bit rude I think I will find a dealer offering reasonable prices and use their expert advice I guess you get wat you pay for. Do you know any good ones in lincolnshire. We have techtronics down the road but I am not sure if they demo and are authorised dealers for denon and yamaha.

6. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    I can understant it is a bit of a tricky area.

Demoing kit is important but sould be used as a guide to get a rough idea on the performance.

I think a demonstration sould literaly mean a demonstration
    not a legal binding or expectance that you are going to buy from them.

I find most dealers are much more expencive, a few months ago when I got my Denon 1802 one dealer I talked to wanted £450 for one.

Where as on the net there were new 1802's from around £350.

25-35 percent increase is not a small amount IMO.

7. Philip Newton

Philip Newton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just spoke to a dealer about denon 2802 and they wanted 650 for it and do not have a demo room. I can get it from Le concepts for 470!!!

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Part of the service offered by a good dealer is demonstration facilities. They spend a good amount of time demonstrating different items in your price bracket allowing you to make the choice of what suits you best. You have to expect to pay a premium for this worthwhile service.

If they do not provide this service, what are they offering over and above an internet box shifter to warrant the premium price.

9. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I may pay a bit more for a product from a shop (say 10% or so) - local presence if something goes wrong, demo facilities etc etc, even just supporting a local guy trying to make an honest living.
    I wouldn't pay 30% more though, especially from a "dealer" who isn't prepared to demonstrate - I think there are limits to how far high street dealers can push it!

As Ian says, there has to be some "value add" from the dealer to make you want to buy from him.

The point is was trying to make before, was really about those dealers who will come to your house, install and set up some kit, and then leave you with it for a few days.
    Speaking for myself, I'd feel a bit of a git if I indulged in such a demo while always intending to buy from the internet.
    Still, tends to be the higher end kit anyway, which often isn't available at lower prices online.
    Personally I'd sort out the deal beforehand, and I'd be surprised if most dealers didn't want that too - that way everything is out in the open beforehand!

Anyway - the 2802 is £450 from www.avland.co.uk

10. Philip Newton

Philip Newton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks mate

11. martin

martin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone heard of the excellent deal Barclay card is doing at the moment? You buy your over priced amp at your local dealer (eg- Sevenoaks) and if you can find it cheaper on the net, Barclay card will refund the difference back on to your card! check out their deal on their web site.:D

12. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    i have found that if you take the time to get to know your local dealer they will discount for you anyway. maybe not to the extent that they can mtach the internet prices but at least you have got something from it. my local sevenoaks are not the cheapest around but they will always try and do me a good deal, and sometimes have recommended alterntive shops for good deals! an example of this was last year when i wanted a tv - they told me to try costco or JL even though they sold the same set (36" toshiba). i doubt that all dealers will do that but my point is that you have to at least give them a chance. BTW, i don't work for any shop and yes if i knew what i wanted and saw it 30% cheaper on the internet i would buy it from there!:D