Audiovector R and QR range, who's got them / heard them? Mulling a new pair of speakers..

Tony_Mac

Hi there, looking for some opinions on new floorstanders. I run a dual setup in a large (8m x 4m) room, an AV setup around a Denon AVC-X3700 with the front LR run via an Arcam Alpha 8R (i use the pre outs on the Denon). If I'm sitting down just with music I power off the Denon entirely and stream audio into a ARCAM irDAC hooked into the integrated 8R. I have some Rega R5s at the front and Dali FAZON and OBERON on walls for surrounds and backs respectively. For music listening when the Denon is off, the Dalis are obviously not powered on which is fine.

Whilst the Rega R5s are my kind of sound, the build quality is questionable and they've suffered a bit of UV damage to their Walnut veneer which doesn't match the new decor (The room now has off white porcelain floor tiles and a lot of glass - not a great room for listening all things considered!).

I've been to two dealers to demo some floorstanders, below is the setup and my opinions, I've listed everything in chrono order

Dealer 1 - Source was a Naim (not sure of the model but appeared to have onboard streaming/integrated amp - one box solution). Roon was installed as the streaming interface
FYNE F502 - couldn't get on with these, found them very harsh, ended the demo after less than 10 minutes I think​
B&W 603 S2 - much nicer top end but bass was just too busy/over powering​
Totem - Sky Tower - really enjoyed these but felt the bass was a little lacking (possibly because they followed the B&W)​

Dealer 2 - Source was a Moon ACE (again all in one type, this time using TIDAL within Moon's app)
Evoke 30 - very clinical, was really expecting these to be "the ones" but whilst the detail was excellent, my foot wasn't tapping​
FYNE F502SP - Was expecting to not like these at all based on the experience at Dealer 1 but was pleasantly surprised, the harshness wasn't there but top end wasn't as refined as the Evokes but was still an enjoyable listen.​
Rega R5s - yes this dealer let me run my tired speakers as a benchmark :) The R5s were lacking a lot bottom end in comparison with the Evokes or the Fynes but were still sounding great in the top end.​
Audiovector R1 Signature (not a floorstander!) - for the first time since starting the search a massive grin appeared across my face, the clarity and "sizzle" was phenomenal but given the size of my room I felt I'd miss the lack of bottom end. I agreed with the dealer at this point that this was the "sound" I was after.​
Audiovector R3 Arrete - These are so far out of my price range I shouldn't probably even talk about them but the dealer didn't have an R3 signature available to demo and he wanted to let me hear what an R1 with a bit more bass was going to be like. To be honest the "wow" wasn't quite as big with the R3s compared to the R1s but I suspect I was a little fatigued by this point and ultimately a floorstander with more bass is going to mask some of that light sparkle that you get from a great standmount (this is purely my opinion of the world :)).​
So what next? An R3 Signature is still really not affordable for me. Has anyone heard the QR and the R range from Audiovector? Do you think the QR3 or QR5 might hit the spot? Dealer 2 does have the QR3s but didn't seem to think they would be what I was after. I'm sure I could get a demo sorted if others on here believe the QR3 or 5 is what i'm after.

Music taste is very eclectic but Herbie Hancock, Tower of Power, Tony Bennett, Dire Straits, Incognito feature heavily in the CD rack.

Final note, whilst my amp is fairly meagre I do expect to upgrade at the start of next year when funds allow (I like the look of the Elicit-R but as ever will need to demo).

Thanks for reading

T

Last edited:

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
As you liked the Audiovector R1 so much have you thought about adding a sub woofer into the mix to fill out the bass. Do you have one for HT, if so you could wire that in either using different connectors if it has it or via a Behringer speaker level or RCA switch.

Tony_Mac

As you liked the Audiovector R1 so much have you thought about adding a sub woofer into the mix to fill out the bass. Do you have one for HT, if so you could wire that in either using different connectors if it has it or via a Behringer speaker level or RCA switch.
A sub did cross my mind with the R1 however I don't have a sub currently in the target room and am trying to avoid yet another box in there :O .

gibbsy

KEF R3/R5. Both have surprisingly good bass and an open and detailed mid range. Would certainly suit that Elicit-R that you're also talking about. If the room is on the smallish size I'd recommend the R3s.

davidf

One guy I had a chat with said Elac sounded better to his ears than Audiovector after a home audition, so maybe worth looking into.

Last edited:

Tony_Mac

Tried the Dali Rubicon 5s and the AE509s today. Really impressed with the Dalis but didn't enjoy the AEs. Going to try and get the Rubicons and Audiovector QRs on a home demo and hopefully finally make a decision!

kutsanagi

Tried the Dali Rubicon 5s and the AE509s today. Really impressed with the Dalis but didn't enjoy the AEs. Going to try and get the Rubicons and Audiovector QRs on a home demo and hopefully finally make a decision!

Please keep this thread updated with your thoughts. Currently thinking about the QR3...

Tony_Mac

So i auditioned the QR3s with a Moon Ace and I was fairly underwhelmed. Given their price point they probably do represent fairly good value for money but they just didn't have the clarity of the pricier R range.

I managed to get the Dali Rubi 5s and the Totem Sky Towers home for a demo. I spent a good couple of days playing lots of different music across these and my existing Rega R5s; my thoughts on these speakers are below (I used an Arcam irDac DAC and an Arcam Alpha 8R integrated amp for all tests).

The Totem Sky Towers are the hardest to drive of the 3 pairs, they need a higher position on the amp dial to achieve the same volume as the other 2. They have a very focused, reasonably energetic sound and are very strong in the midrange. They worked quite well in my "big room" but they didn't provide the same width of sound stage as the Regas or the Dalis. Generally speaking they work best on well recorded material and are fairly unforgiving of poor mixes/recordings. When you get a track that they get along with they really fly and I suspect these would work even better with a more upmarket amp.

The Dalis have a lot of top and bottom end and generally create a very energetic listen. Their slightly "hyped" frequency response whilst making an enthralling listen does mean they sound a very little bit boxy and nasally. Despite this they don't get tripped up very often and they continually exceeded my expectations. I would certainly recommend these for those who put emphasis on movies. They don't quite deliver the same realism on acoustic material and it's probably on this point that I'd rule them out. They also struggled with some Marcus Miller (who unsurprisingly has a lot of bass in his mixes).

The Rega R5s which I'm wanting to replace mainly because of their look and having had them for a decade I feel I'm entitled to a bit of a change are surprisingly hard to beat. They have a top end that to my ears is crisper and more authentic than either the Totems or the Dalis, and whilst their midrange doesn't match the Totems, their soundstage is much wider. The Dalis give more kick but the Rega's bass is better controlled. If I'm going to be spending ~£2.5K on a set of speakers they need to be markedly better than what I've already got.

I'm going to demo the Spendor A4s next week, but I don't mind admitting that I'm getting a little exhausted with it all (I thought at this price point that most options would blow my Regas away but it's nothing like that at all).

The tracks that I used to do the comparison are below, I gave each track a score out of 10.

Score out of 10
TrackRega R5Dali Rubicon 5Totem Sky Tower
Michael Jackson - Rock With You
7.5​
7.5​
8​
Marcus Miller - Boomerang
7​
6.5​
7.5​
Sade - Tattoo
6.25​
7.25​
6.75​
Brad Paisley - Time Well Wasted
7.25​
8​
7.5​
Herbie Hancock - St Louis Blues
7.25​
8​
7.75​
George Michael - Cowboys Angels
6.5​
7​
5.5​
Bill Evans & Toots - Body & Soul
7​
6.75​
7​
Dire Straits - Fade To Black
8​
7​
8.5​
Lee Ritenour - Wes Bound
8.75​
7.5​
8.5​
Average
7.28​
7.28​
7.44​

Last edited:

kutsanagi

Thanks for this @Tony_Mac

I have to say, since I replied to this thread I auditioned two sets of speakers (at in store demo) so amongst my wish listwish were the QR, Wharfedale Evo (just loved the look of them) and Dali Opticon 6 MK2.

Evo's really underwhelming. Massively.

Then the dealer, suggested I try the Opticons....fell in love with them. Sounded amazing. I'm going to take both my NAD T778 and Anthem MRX740 to have a listen.

Looking forward to more opinions, and you're right. When you're spending that kind of money, you want an upgrade!😃

Tony_Mac

So in the end I landed on a pair of used white gloss (immaculate) Rega RS5 speakers from a lovely seller down in Billingshurst. Whilst I'm sure I would have been happy with the Totems or Dali Rubicon 5s, I felt that the "improvement" just didn't warrant the outlay particularly when the "problem" I was solving was really an aesthetic one. The RS5s do sound very similar to the R5s with maybe a tiny bit more punch in the bass.

One thing I learned, when trying out new speakers at home simply set them up and listen for a week or two and avoid the temptation to continually perform A/B comparisons on single tracks. Once I'd decided the Dalis were going back I stopped swapping them around and just left them on until it was time to box them up. In those last few days of just listening I found that I liked them more and more. For one it's a back killer continually swapping floorstanders around and secondly at this level a lot of it is simply taste. If you've lived with a set of speakers for a long period of time and are happy with them you're probably always going to be pulled back towards them but if you give the new contenders a chance you'll probably find different things you like about them. Just something to think about if you end up in this position.

On a final note, i do think I'll end up with a set of Audiovectors from the R range at some point, but they won't be going into that room, they'll be in a dedicated music room I think.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom