1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audiotron

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by xio, Feb 5, 2003.

1. xio

xio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. Lynchpin

Lynchpin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I have used one, in fact I own one and it's pretty good.

It's well enough built, easy enough to use and sounds fine to my ears with the usual MP3 etc limitations. The web browser interface is pretty but not as good, IMHO, as the SLIMP3.

If you need any more info let me know.

HTH

K.

3. xio

xio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - dare I ask how much it cost and where you got it from?

Also, how easy was it to set up? I'm presuming it's pretty m uch silent in action as I don't think it has a disk in it does it ?

Thanks
    Chris

4. Lynchpin

Lynchpin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got it as part of a bulk buy from the new EU distributor some time ago for about £200-220 IIRC.

TBH though I rarely use it, I far prefer the SLIMP3 (www.slimdevices.com) for some reason, I think that's down to the fact that I control the Slim off the laptop via WLAN and it's easier to navigate the web browser for the Slim, IMO. So much so that I now have three Slims and am about to have a fourth as I am organising a buy on them direct from the US.

It is very, very easy to set up all you need to do is show the AT the shares on the server and that's it! However, unlike the Slim, the AT can only handle a finite amount of files/tracks, IIRC the limit is about 30,000.

Yes, it is silent in operation.

You can now get the AT in the UK with a full warranty etc. from Laser (www.laser.com) and I can tell you, having used Laser a fair bit, that the service is superb. IIRC, imported ones carry no warranty at all, the usual really :/

K.

5. xio

xio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info.

I looked at the slimp3, but was put off by its odd looks (not a great reason I'll grant you) and it's lack of digital output.

Not having a laptop, or a pc in the room where I'd be looking to use the system, the browser interface is less of an issue for me. I understand that the display on the slimp3 is supposed to be much better though.

What's the price comparison like ? - £220 sounds like very cheap for the AT. I'd be keen to know if that's a repeatable offer! - are you able to give me details of where you got it ? I presume that if it's an EU model then you didn't have the power supply issues that you would find with one from the US ?

Thanks for your help

6. Lynchpin

Lynchpin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually the slims look pretty discrete in most situations.

The old digital out debate...

IMHO, it makes bugger all difference in an MP3 player to the sound and I have messed with it. The only tangible difference I could discerne was in the encoding, it's the old story, garbage in = garbage out! ;)

Oh and I've owned the Slims, AT and the DDAR/RIO players, the DDAR/RIO I just simply plain avoid as the display and interface is pretty pants IMO.

The price I got was a one-off deal I'm afraid as now the players are officially available here and they were basically the first batch of players into the EU.

However, the Slims I'm bringing in this time, so far 57 of them, for the UKHA crew etc. are up for grabs at £172 a pop.:D

K.

7. xio

xio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Presumably the slims are the same as the AT regarding setup (i.e. easy:cool: ). Are there issues with the power supplies for them ? - i.e. is it switchable or would I need an extra transformer (or are they EU models?)

8. Lynchpin

Lynchpin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah the setup is pretty easy indeed, a very rudimentary knowledge of IP adresses is kinda needed, but it is pretty simple, no more difficult than the AT i would say.

The PSU from SLim Devices takes a "figure of 8" power lead and works straight out the box on UK voltages as well as US etc. so they are the same worldwide. :D

K.