1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

audiotron v slimp3

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Ivor_Monkey, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Ivor_Monkey

Ivor_Monkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see a few oldish comments on the audiotron and slimp3 devices, but very few comments about direct experience of using them. So does anyone have any experience of audiotron or slimp3 for sending music from computer to hifi?

I note that Audiotron has a digital output, whereas the slimp3 doesn't. Any comments on what the loss of digital output means in practice in terms of the quality and listening, esp when pushing signal thru a pioneer 2011?
    Thanks

2. kryten

kryten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I've got an Audiotron and its great. Quality is excellent using the optical link to my AV8 and EAC for ripping to WAVs stored on the server.

Haven't done any direct comparisons with CD players (no time!)but the convenience of having so many albums available makes it a winner in my book.

3. Ivor_Monkey

Ivor_Monkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Kryten
    Thanks. Is there likely to be any difference between digital and analogue links? I'm guessing that the audiotron is better than slimp3. And could I ask where you got it from and how much?
    Thanks again

4. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I haven't bought either yet but have done a little looking and I see the audiotron as a unit for the sitting room to go amongst the hifi and the slim mp3 unit as more of a multiroom unit.

Anybody know if they are compatible as regards the server side software?

5. kryten

kryten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Another good thing about the Audiotron is that there is no server side software. Also, I know of many people that have several ATs installed and because it just uses the file shares, its really not a problem to run more than one (it can cope with internet radio too).

You just need to setup a file share and it accesses that (so it works with Linux too).

As for quality, the difference between the analogue and digital is _huge_ but then the DACs in the AV8 are pretty good :)

They appear on ebay now and again (that's where I got mine). UK price is 350 quid but there's a place in holland (or could be germany) that are selling them to the UK at 250quid!

6. Molly

Molly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  7. kryten

kryten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Dunno what it is - could be an HPNA based AudioTron but that's a phone based networking system that's only used in the states. AFAIK there are no HPNA network cards for PCs available over here.

Also, if it is the HPNA AT then it doesn't have the bandwidth to cope with streaming WAVs, only MP3s.