1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audiotron/AudioPC/CD Player - quality differences?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by kryten, Jun 30, 2003.

1. kryten

kryten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I'm looking to get an audio jukebox of some sort, with sound quality being the main sticking point.

Current player is a Pioneer DVD757AI that feeds an (on loan) Arcam AV8 via the co-ax (which is better than the analogue outputs). Either the AV8 or something similar will be making a permanent appearance in my system soon, hence the DACs are good quality for any digital input.

As I see it, I have a few possible solutions:

Audiotron: works out of the box, plays uncompressed WAV files and has optical output to feed the processor.

Slimp: no digital output and plays compressed MP3 only, so falls at the first!

PC based solution: something like a mini-itx based machine running fanless either using built in digital output (though the Via ones seem to upsample everything to 48kHZ) or add on digital output card - either linux or windows based, with/without hard drive as I see fit (record locally or stream from one of my other machines). Nice and flexible but needs _time_ which I don't have much of at the moment. Would play any of the lossless compressed formats (bonus) plus could have a TV interface or be controlled wirelessly from my TabletPC.

Imerge - I could build a stack of my own solutions for that price (probably four!) so unless there's something I'm missing, falls early cos the price is taking the ****.

Get a better CD Player and put up with changing the discs manually - what level would I have to spend to get audio replay that would beat any of the above solutions?

So, anyone care to comment on comparisons of the above solutions - its obviously a case where I cannot demo the options, so will have to rely on others opinions and a dose of pure luck to make the correct choice.

2. kryten

kryten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    No-one else done anything like this then?

Anyway, I've now bought an AudioTron, so I'll update when it arrives what its like.

I'll almost certainly be getting some Mini-ITX/Shuttle kit as well, so will probably try and A/B it against CD/Audiotron....

3. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    If you go the PC route, get a decent sound card like an RME. Just because a card has digital out doesn't make it any good. Aslo while the miniITX solutions look good on paper, I would be a bit concerned about dodgy via chipsets. I've been concidering a Hush box myself, but £600 is a lot to blow if it isn't perfect.