• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Audiophile RS600 scam again

brianj42

Established Member
New Audiophile RS 600 Speakers x2 (Left and Right) on eBay (end time 29-Nov-10 18:07:02 GMT)

Audiophile RS 600 1200 Watt Speakers on eBay (end time 01-Dec-10 20:10:31 GMT)

Is it just me, and I know these speakers come up as Van scams all the time, But these two auctions, different cities, placed same times with same pictures. Weird.

Some poor person about to part with £200 too

Caveat emptor

PS. I have just read a really funny thread on the subject http://www.dogsonacid.com/showthread.php?threadid=671228

Interesting article http://www.scamshield.com/Sighting.asp?state=none&country=United%20Kingdom&article=1

Anyway, either way, I thought it best to warn people, as per the latest postings on the white van brigade, that they are currently doing the rounds again.

Last edited:

oot

Standard Member
Yes this is true!!!!!

I literally just bought two of these from some guy in a van.

I feel like such an idiot. Do you think there is anyway I could sell these? I don't want to rip anyone off, even if I get just half my money back I'll fell like less of a moron. : :(

Dean

Prominent Member
I would be very careful about connecting them up and listening to them, at least if you value your amplifier! See this link regarding the white van scam.

oot

Standard Member
Yeah, I've connected them, the funny thing is I even got the guy to come into my house and do it for me, I didn't want to get scammed!!!!!:laugh:

They do work, and don't actually sound that bad, probably a bit better than the screams of me and my flat mates when the house burns down.

After having read that, I neither want to use these or sell them on to someone else, all I can hope for is the guys van crashes and he dies a slow painful death.

But seriously thank for the head up.

Dean

Prominent Member
Dude sorry you've been hard done like that! I am not sure how you could get some of your money back, from what I hear they often use dirt cheap components from car speakers :( I guess that would be adding insult to injury if they fried your amp as well so at least that's something.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
One of the problems with these speaker is that the White Van Man will tell you they are worth thousands, but what he is not telling you is that is is thousands of Hong Kong Dollars. And of course, that 'thousands' reflects the makers suggested retail price which is itself inflated.

So, if they are worth HK$2000, that UK£160, but for cheap speakers like this, we can easily assume 50% off the Retail, making the speaker worth about £80. And, even if we assume they put some effort into the design, £80 is probably being generous.

Steve/bluewizard

1nsomniac

Standard Member
Just had this guy in my area - Wellington/Telford Midlands. Driving a red mini-van though now, claiming speakers to be worth £1000 managed to get him to go down as low as £140 for a pair but i didnt take them but he was determined to try and walk me to a cash point or come and set them up and test them in my house. Told me he worked for an audio company and the suppliers from america had shipped to many by accident shown me fake delivery notes & receipts showing uk prices etc... had done his research as he knew what he was talking about sound tech wise and was a quick talker.

Dazzor

Prominent Member
Just had this guy in my area - Wellington/Telford Midlands. Driving a red mini-van though now, claiming speakers to be worth £1000 managed to get him to go down as low as £140 for a pair but i didnt take them but he was determined to try and walk me to a cash point or come and set them up and test them in my house. Told me he worked for an audio company and the suppliers from america had shipped to many by accident shown me fake delivery notes & receipts showing uk prices etc... had done his research as he knew what he was talking about sound tech wise and was a quick talker.

Crafty git!

Out of interest, If this reprobate claimed they were worth a grand and you knocked him down to £140...What price did he start at?

littlewelshlady

Standard Member
Beware peeps they are still around. they are in the Ross-on-Wye area. My bf got them. then came on here read all this and now he knows he been scammed. how would we know if they work. they havent been passed/approved would they be worth getting an electrical check done on them. or are they worth selling on. because Ive read they can catch fire and I do not want to pass them to someone knowing somethingh bad can happen

beanoir

Established Member
This scam has been going on since I was at University in 1996 (and I dare say before that) and will probably continue to do so for a long while yet.

I really can't believe people fall for it, it's up there with the watch scam at the motorway services ("just come back from a show and got some left over watches bla bla bla").

littlewelshlady

Standard Member
I wouldn't buy nothing from a back of a lorry. But my bf doesn't know what the word no is. he gets fuzzled and then panics and then buys. he is terrible for it. maybe it will make him learn. but I just wanted to warn peeps. I don't know how they get away with this for so long!!!!

PSM1

Distinguished Member
I suppose as long as there are people like your bf around then there will be people who will look to take advantage unfortunately.

maximiss

Standard Member
New Audiophile RS 600 Speakers x2 (Left and Right) on eBay (end time 29-Nov-10 18:07:02 GMT)

Audiophile RS 600 1200 Watt Speakers on eBay (end time 01-Dec-10 20:10:31 GMT)

Is it just me, and I know these speakers come up as Van scams all the time, But these two auctions, different cities, placed same times with same pictures. Weird.

Some poor person about to part with £200 too

Caveat emptor

PS. I have just read a really funny thread on the subject Sick monitors for sale in Bristol V-cheap - Dogs On Acid

Interesting article Fraud and Scam Sightings & Locations - United Kingdom - SCAM SHIELD - An organization protecting citizens against scams and fraud schemes through advocacy and information

Anyway, either way, I thought it best to warn people, as per the latest postings on the white van brigade, that they are currently doing the rounds again.
i am just testing these speakers out and if you must no they sound realy clear and very loud so i wouldnt say they were a scam the are worth what you want to pay for them i paid £52 pounds and i realy did get a bargain

tazzo

Established Member
I got scammed back in 1996 for £255 I think it was.

When I was downstairs the guy installin them nicked two of my CD's too!!

When I came up I saw him act shady around my CD's but thought nothing of it, only to later check two had been nicked.

A week later it was in the papers about shady speakers guys!

I was so dissapointed.

They got dumped about a year ago. Did not use them for that period of time though!

great_sushi

Standard Member
just been got a couple of hours ago... I cant believe I fell for it, just one phone call is all it would have taken! Does anyone have any ideas on what to do to get a bit of money back?
I dont really want to scam anyone myself... rekon its better to sell the drivers and enclosure seperately?

tazzo

Established Member
Enclosure, yes, speakers probably not.

My advice would be get them checked ou by a professional as to how potentially damaging they can be to an amp.

33L

Standard Member
just read this thread, not nice feeling to be taken for amuppet, not saying any of the guys/gals here are! Be thankful you found out before doing any damage!

great_sushi

Standard Member
Yeah it was ****in **** £200 down the drain! errrgh.... but out of curiosity what would i need to check the speakers over? Can i check the impedance using a multimeter? If they are appallingly bad, can i replace any of the parts in a speaker, like the voice coil or something to make it a bit better. It seems like the cones are usable.
Or perhaps a resister in line to stop too high current or something
or a capacitor which will only allow ac current through?

siniallclum

Novice Member
I have a set of the matrix mx 1200 speakers and people say they are terrible but I've got mine wired up to a old kenwood system and they are really clear they sound better than my jamo gf 25 speakers but then I've heard you can get fakes and real ones and all the ones I've seen have chrome are holes and mine are black and they are heavy at 3 and a half stone each

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom