audiophile pc- please help

dean999

Established Member
Reaction score
hi,

i would like some advice on what components are required to build a silent audiophile type pc, or is there a ready made solution, or what pc is suitable for having a top end audio card?

i would like to connect this pc to my hi fi system using RCA connections for audio out from pc to preamp. my hifi picks out any audio faults due to its highly sensitive nature, and i want the pc to be able to play hi res audio files, 24 bit 96khz formats & above.

i am new at this pc hobby, so if i have missed anything out or not been clear please forgive me.

many thanks

dean

Some audiophiles use an external DAC as opposed to a high end card.
Setting up windows to output true 24/96 audio can be a bit of a pain I hear.
An alternative might be to use a std pc and stream to Squeezebox Touch, (then into a DAC if you feel the quality jump would be worthwhile), which can happily play back 24/96 files. Your PC can then be as noisy as it likes but remote.
Squeezebox with a smartphone (I use Ipeng on an variety of IOS devices) is a nice way to browse and manage your listening pleasure.
FWIW the DAC in a SB Touch is actually quite highly regarded.

If your heart is set on a quiet PC, speak the nice folks at http://www.tranquilpc.co.uk/ not cheap though, or you could build a passively cooled box yourself.

Last edited:
hi nacmacfeegle,

many thanks for taking the time for your outstanding reply.

regards
dean

You might consider something like the Fiio E10, a USB DAC/Headphone amp with passthrough. It's reviewing very well and, having had one for a couple of weeks, I can confirm a significant improvement over the audio-out of a Revo 3610. This is the case through both headphones (Sennheiser RS180 and Grado SR60i) and amp (Quad 303).

Unlike my previous experiences with setting up a sound card this was painless, installing instantly and being selectable as a sound device.

Retailing at about £60 on Amazon at the moment but should drop as availability improves.

You might consider something like the Fiio E10, a USB DAC/Headphone amp with passthrough. It's reviewing very well and, having had one for a couple of weeks, I can confirm a significant improvement over the audio-out of a Revo 3610. This is the case through both headphones (Sennheiser RS180 and Grado SR60i) and amp (Quad 303).

Unlike my previous experiences with setting up a sound card this was painless, installing instantly and being selectable as a sound device.

Retailing at about £60 on Amazon at the moment but should drop as availability improves.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom