1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Audiophile 2496 AC3 problem

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by jmz, Dec 18, 2002.

1. jmz

jmz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

The long journey from zero to home cinema is nearly over!

I really appreciate all the help I have received by searching these forums. Without them I would have gone bonkers.

Anyway, this one has me stumped and it's getting late, so I thought I'd ask for help.

Using PowerDVD 4 XP, I'm trying to get my Audiophile 2496 to send AC3 to my Altec Lansing ADA885. The Hollywood+ card has no problem doing this, thus establishing that the ADA885 is decoding AC3 ok from the s/pdif input.

The 2496 manual states that you must set the s/pdif output to 'non audio' for AC3 pass through, yet when I do this I get silence.

I'm not particular what OS or DVD software I use, so maybe some kind soul would give me some pointers, or tell me how they're doing it.

Best wishes & many thanks,

James

2. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You need to check few things:
    • PowerDVD audio configuration need to be set up to 'Use SPDIF';
    • In windows control panel/audio set up select preferred audio device to Delta SPDIF.
    • Set the PC speaker config to 5.1 or 7.1.

Audiophile should switch no non-audio automatically when it detects AC3 stream.

3. jmz

jmz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help!

Only thing I hadn't done was set the speaker config to 5.1. Anyway, PowerDVD still refuses to co-operate. It still outputs nada on the s/pdif, and doesn't switch to non-audio mode (PowerDVD 4 XP, latest patch).

On the bright side, I have since discovered Zoom player, which works great, but apparently only in 98SE. FYI, I'm using the graph for PowerDVD w Maudio s/pdif, which states not for xp/2k.

Oh well, win2k would be nice, but at least I can show off my multi-channel system now :)

Popcorn walla! Juldi juldi!

James