Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Audionewbie amp-question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ThAz, Apr 3, 2003.

1. ThAz

ThAz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im thinking about buying an Nad 302. Im just wondering if you guys think that it will be suitable with my Wharfedale Diamond 8.4 ?

I know that i should buy a bigger amp, but im kinda broke so this fits my wallet. Anyone who got a Nad amp and Wharfedale Diamond speakers that would take the time to share their experience with this combo.

//ThAz

2. gilmore

gilmore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Nad 320bee and Nad amps seem to sound more powerful than they actually are. That said the 302 is only runnning around 25wpc am I correct?

If funds are tight and you are picking it up for a bagain price then would be a good bet but spend a bit more and you will reap better results IMO

3. ThAz

ThAz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply, yes the 302 gives out 2 x 25W @ 8 ohms.

This is about all i can afford at the moment :(. Well i´ll probably buy it, it can´t be worse than the amp that drives my speakers now.

//ThAz

4. gilmore

gilmore

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as long as you don't opt for very loud levels you should be fine... I don't know if that model features soft clipping but if it does you might want to consider turning that on if you listen loud.

5. deckard

deckard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's the efficiency of your Wharfedales? Speaker power is a strange beast, take Naim power amps for example - 30w per channel from some, but they certainly don't sound underpowered. If your Wharfedales are reasonable efficient ie >89dB/w/m and you don't run things at full tilt then I'd have thought the NAD would be a cracking little amp.

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And on the other end of the scale Sony amps are 100W- but connect 4 Ohm speakers with low efficiency and the itl'll shuts off or get very hot.

7. ThAz

ThAz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My wharfedales are pretty unefficient (86dB/w/m). Well i lost the webauction anyways.

Im bidding on a NAD AV-713 that gives out 2*60W in stereo mode and im also looking at a
    Rotel RB-970-BX, but then i need a preamplifier, this is getting more and more expensive.

8. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why not get a integrated amp?

Pre-power setup will cost a bit more, not really worth it for a budget system, something like a Rotel RA-971, 70W per channel.

9. ThAz

ThAz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok i bought a used Nad C320, went alittle over budget, but hopefully it will be worth it...